Esteemed Contributor

What are your best remedies for poison ivy?

What is Summer without some?  How do you cope?

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Re: What are your best remedies for poison ivy?

DD got it a number of years ago.  We tried handling it ourselves, but it never went away, and her system actually remained compromised so when she had a reaction to something else it was worse than it might have been otherwise.  The best thing to do is to get a prescription from the doctor for a prednisone medrol dose pack.  

Occasional Visitor

My Daughter,who is in Nursing school told us to use deodorant on it,any old type will work and It dries it right up.I hope that this helps you.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow!  I just had a bout on my face and I have been worried.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I go to the doctor and get a shot of prednisone.  Takes care of it right away.  No need to suffer.  It just gets worse and worse every day.  Another thing I did was take hot hot hot showers.  Gave me relief for a few hours.

Honored Contributor

We get Tecnue (sp) at the drug store.  It removes the oil and it dries up vetry quickly!  Can also wash your tools in it!

I am so allergitic you wouldn't belive it!  I put some on the whelps before I broke out and it took it away!!!

Respected Contributor

Years ago I learned about the best ever product  for that dreadful Poison Ivy/Oak and have been sharing my results even since.

It is called Rus Tox,  a Homeopathic product which can be easily obtained from a local Heath Product store or on line from Hyland.Homeopathic site. Costs about $7.00 with enough to last for years.

This was recommended by a doctor from the old school; at the time I was desperate but took the plunge and found this product one of the best things ever recommended to me, it is all natural and results will begin to occur within hours.  Never known this product to fail yet even having recommended it to many people.  

Esteemed Contributor

@nanaKY, the tip about deodorant is helpful.  I tried it on my arm and it seems to have helped

@ECBG, thank you for the info on Tecnu.  I do work outside alot and I hadn't considered that my tools could be a "carrier".  That looks like something good to have on hand all the time.

I agree that hot showers do offer relief!  I'll bet the doctors stay busy with this right now.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

IvyDry