Respected Contributor

Re: What are your annual Medicare exams like?

I see my primary every 6 months. They always call my fall visit the annual Medicare wellness exam. They tell me everyone on Medicare is entitled to one. I suspect they get more $ for coding it as a wellness exam rather then a regular office visit. It’s pretty thorough. They also seem to talk more. 

Honored Contributor

At my doctor's office the visit that is the annual physical is done by the PA.and it is somewhat longer than a normal office visit.All other visits except the annual physical,  I see my doctor. 

Respected Contributor

I remember taking my dad every year for his Medicare Exam.  This included the R.N. watching him walk down the hall, doing the eye chart, asking him about alcohol/drug intake and asking him if he kept firearms in his home.

I myself, turn 65 in August.  When making my bi-annual appt. for August, I asked about the Medicare Exam and the scheduler set me up for it.  I'll let you know after that's done.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sure I'll get pushback on this comment.  I can't help but think that some of these questions/exams do not benefit the patient, they seem invasive.  I agree with the poster who declared that her mission was to stay out of the doctor's office as much as possible.  

Trusted Contributor

I'm not on Medicare...yet....but I do go for an annual physical.  My previous PCP did a great physical.  Checked my eyes, my ears, my mouth, my reflexes, breast exam, blood pressure, palpated my abdomen and around my back, checked my joints,  listened to my heart and lungs, did an EKG, went over blood work results, and asked lots of questions.

My new PCP just does the basics of a regular visit, and an EKG.  Doesn't even have me undress and put on a gown/robe. He only checks my blood pressure, checks my heart and lungs.  However, he listens intently to what I tell him, and has a vast knowledge of prescription meds.  He has adjusted my blood pressure meds doses, and has gotten my blood pressure down.

My previous PCP missed TWO serious diagnoses, because he didn't listen to me when I questioned some numbers in my blood test results.  One of which could have been fatal....which is why I changed doctors.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"