Honored Contributor

Re: What are you doing to age gracefully?

[ Edited ]

I'm accepting growing older and embracing the changes in my life that have made it what it is for me now. I can never go back so I try to preserve what I have today...beauty, health and substance...on my own terms and not by what others tell me.

Honored Contributor

Exercise a.m. and p.m. but now after sitting in my office chair all morning I need to get the kinks out.  So for the first half hour of my lunch hour I climb the stairs in our 12 floor building and stop and do a lap around each floor of the flights.  This sitting around is harder now than when in my 30's.  Salads/protein ect........  love grilled chicken.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

I am meticulous about my hair and wear less and less makeup as I approach my 66th birthday. I find that eating right is now more important than it ever was and in order to get around it is mandatory for me now.

I still love dressing up and I find it is a mood enhancer. I even dress fairly nicely in the house because it affects how I feel...

This is the key for me. Eating right. Cutting out processed junk, reducing sugar and trying to eat whole, real foods as much as possible. I will never stop trying to be as healthy as I can possibly be. I'm about to turn 60 in a few weeks and I'm the healthiest I've ever been as an adult. One of my family members had the audacity/stupidity to say to me "Well, now that you're going to be 60, can you stop with the ridiculous 5 days a week in the gym and being so fussy about your food and just enjoy what's left of your life? It's not like you're going to live that much longer anyway." This was as she was on her way to pour her 5th glass of wine and refill her dish full of potato chips. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

We all know that eating healthy, exercising are a given but I feel that a little makeup goes a long way because it makes you feel good about yourself.  I use a tinted moisturizer, sometimes brown mascara, a little blush and lipstick.  If you don't wear any makeup just apply lipstick and see how it lifts your spirits.  And, don't forget a little fragrance whether it be body lotion or perfume.  Be kind to yourself and others, especially cats. Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Sooner ...'Attitude is everything, so pick a good one'....I have that quote (I believe it's from Wayne Dyer) printed out at our office - dh and I work together and sometimes we both need to be reminded to have a good attitude....what happens at work sometimes follows us home, can be a curse sometimes!

@Sooner wrote:

I try to live to the fullest, appreciate and be thankful for what I have that day--especially my loved ones.  You can fret and worry about aging, get obsessed with your looks, etc. but in reality so much of what happens is things you can't do anything about.

Attitude is everything to making life it's sweetest every day.  It isn't material and it sure isn't how you look that makes you truly happy to be alive. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the inspirational reading. My maternal grandmother from Tryon, NC, told me to age from the inside out. Be a beautiful, strong tree with branches that bend and give shade. Be the tree people want to sit by and relax. Produce good fruit. 

Oddly enough, I married a man with a 'tree' last name. My favorite necklace is a tree of life pendant.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

• @happycat wrote:

Honestly, not enough. And I am finding, the older I am, when I let myself go, its harder and harder to get back on course and get where I want to be. I know I would feel better if I lost some weight.

I talked to a friend yesterday who was about where I am now, when she lost 40 lbs. She looks amazing.

You are living your life, not letting yourself go.  Please do not feed into a made-up expression to put women down in our society.  Have you ever heard a man be labelled this way?

@mom2four0418 , please realize I was speaking of myself. I have never said anyone else had "let themselves go". I know from past experience that I did feel better when I made time to exercise and attempt to keep fit. I'm not playing into any societal woes; my husband has said the same thing about himself. That he would feel better if he got more exercise.

There are lots of folks on this board who speak of exercising regularly, some one or two hours most days, and I think its wonderful, because its not always easy to do. Maybe I should have worded my first post differently, maybe not. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Saw another friend last night who I didn't recognize. Its a few years since I saw her. She grabbed me and said "Hi"-  I knew her when she spoke. She has lost 100 lbs. Thought she was having heart problems, she said it turned out it was her long time boyfriend and she dumped him. Says now in total she has lost 300 lbs and its the best thing ever. Food for thought, cause mental health is important too.

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake   My Mother said “you should age gracefully”. 

I like the analogy of the tree.

For years I have been wondering how to do it since the body isn’t graceful any more. I still do hair color and like to look presentable. 

I’m finally understanding that all the injections and miracle creams help but aren’t what she meant. Attitude, and respecting others is more important.

Accepting age limitations is hard! I used to do all the exercise classes, tennis, skiing in water and snow, Aeribics, Pilates weights,etc. At 76 I’ve learned to enjoy my dog walks and Tai Chi for mind and body.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello @barb40 ,

As a male, I don't claim to do anything gracefully! Many tell me I make ice skating "look easy", but never heard "gracefully". As a former hockey player, that term is more related to the much more "graceful figure skaters"!

While I do a lot of things to keep my Physiological or Socialogical Age young, I do little to slow down or prevent the changes that usually come with Chronological Age.

Took me forever to edit this danged post, and originally posted on its own before I even hit Post. Oh well!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I don't feel any different in my mind then when I was a young person.  I know I look different on the outside but I feel the same on the inside.  I don't think basically I have changed much in the way I look at things.  I have always tried to be a kind and compassionate person and one who cares about how others feel and what they think.  As I age, these things will never change.

I can't do physically what I did in the past but the key is to do what you can and not give up.  Doing a little is better than doing nothing.

Getting up each morning with a glad heart that you are still here and still able to enjoy the world and being a part of it!  I thank the Lord for my husband and the life that I have been given.  

I try to keep up with world events and have an awareness of what is happening around me.  I think no matter your age you need to keep up to a certain degree.

As far as appearance, don't fight so hard to be something you can no longer be.  Take care of yourself and if you can and want to do a little tweak here and there --- makeup, hair, etc., and it makes you feel better, then, great.  Do what you can to help yourself stay fit --- eat the best you can while not depriving yourself of a treat when you want it.  

All things in moderation.  Love, pray and smile!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin