Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: What are the best vitamins to take??

@kaydee50 wrote:

Although I don't see the harm in taking a multivitamin and there may be some benefit to it, I don't agree with those who "self medicate" with several different types of vitamins without having blood work done first to know exactly what, if anything, is needed.  Just because these products are over the counter does not mean they are safe and harmless.  

@kaydee50 

ITA.

Too many are indeed ‘self-medicating’ as to what the ‘specials’

are for the day/week/month on a TV shopping channel.

It’s so highly dangerous.

But I see the same posters posting again & again they use this &

use that...and more of something else.  Poor little liver having to

filter all these processed chemicals!

Trusted Contributor

thank you everyone.. I'm going to check out the andrew lessman vitamins... it's worth a try!

Honored Contributor

No one here can answer that question, we can only tell you what we use and what we like.  I have chronic nutritional deficiences and my endocrinologist told me to use Nature Made and nothing else because he's knows that brand and has faith in it.  He did say there are other good brands out there but that is the brand he knows best.  It's not about the vitamins themselves, it's the binders they use.  He said cheap vitamins use inexpensive binders and that means that many people don't digest them well so they don't get the benefit. I thought about Lessman but he talks so much, he's like a used car salesman and throws everything but the kitchen sink into his presentations.  And his products are super expensive.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

Although I don't see the harm in taking a multivitamin and there may be some benefit to it, I don't agree with those who "self medicate" with several different types of vitamins without having blood work done first to know exactly what, if anything, is needed.  Just because these products are over the counter does not mean they are safe and harmless.  

@kaydee50 

ITA.

Too many are indeed ‘self-medicating’ as to what the ‘specials’

are for the day/week/month on a TV shopping channel.

It’s so highly dangerous.

But I see the same posters posting again & again they use this &

use that...and more of something else.  Poor little liver having to

filter all these processed chemicals!

@sidsmom @kaydee50 , I have posted more than once that I shudder at the amount of vitamins Andrew takes and some of the hosts take.  I cannot imagine taking in excess of 100 vitamins a day.  Your liver has to filter all that and when I've mentioned it, some posters then state they take a product for the liver as well.  Woman Frustrated

As directed by my doctor, I take a multi vitamin and I take cranberry pills because of chronic UTI issues.  But I would venture to guess that when people start taking 10, 20, 50+ vitamins a day, they do in fact end up taking too much of a certain vitamin if what they are taking contains some of the same vitamins.  And too much of certain vitamins can be dangerous and some just get excreted from the body because they can't be absorbed.  

I know that when I watch Andrew and hear all the claims made, I start to think I have to have this or that vitamin and then I get myself back on track.  I think the TS fish oil supplements are going back.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Please talk to your doctor. I have taken vitamin D for a few months. I had blood work and was told not to take it anymore. I take a multi-vitamin and a C tablet most days. 

I like a brand Solgar. They are sold in health food store. I brought these on Amazon from Re commerce. The vitamins come in brown glass bottles with a two year expiration day. They are protected from sunlight by the bottle. I buy one bottle a time. I might be told to stop taking them at anytime. 

Regular Contributor

I always had a hard time taking vitamins like Centrum or One a Day--they always upset my stomach. My friend who is into more natural supplements & is a nutritionist said to try Mega Food Woman's One Daily. They are the only vitamins that don't upset my stomach. I have been taking them for 12 years now. They are organic, soy free, gluten free & dairy free. The only down side is they are 45.00 for a 3 month supply but it's worth it to me as they are kind to my stomach. You can look on Amazon companies like Lucky Vitamin, I Herb, or All Star Health offer it. I always try to look for offers of free shipping too. Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

In Jan. I quit taking supplements and wanted to know how I was at my April 2nd wellness check up, I was fine, and I told the doctor about not taking anything, and he just suggested I take the Geritol complete that I was taking and Vit. D about once or twice a week, that's all. So I am.  I get the Vit. D at the clinic.  During the winter, we both take zinc, but I stopped even that in Jan. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gloriajean Good for you! Heart Sounds like you have figured out what works best for your body. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been taking the Source Natural Brand multiple called  Life Force for at least 15 years.   It comes in a four a day capsule, or a In a tablet form as a 2 to up to a 4 a day.

you can choose with or without iron in all their formulas...and they also offer a  more specific woman's and a men's  formula  as well. 

Respected Contributor

My doctor recommends Centrum Silver. He takes it himself and has taken Centrum for 30 years. He believes people in northern climates should supplement with Vitamin D. But he said spending money on CoQ10 was foolish.