Super Contributor

Re: What Will You Do For Yourself in 2019?

@hckynut wrote:

@lolakimono

Stay healthy, physically and mentally fit, as much as humanly possible. Without good health, everything else takes a back seat. For me, physically fit equals, keeping my ice skating skills at their max, as the years keep "movin on up"!. 

hckynut

@hckynut

I have read many of your posts on these boards for quite some time, therefore I have an idea of your age. I have to say I am really impressed that you still ice skate. A lot of people give it up as they age for fear of falling and breaking a bone. It is wonderful that you are able to enjoy it for exercise. I have always loved to ice skate! My best to you for the New Year!

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Continue  TO remember that my family is first

Nightly meditation

Yoga               

Remember to remember that even though I have a nasty disease that causes issues,

I’m STILL HERE!

Cook more, Sleep more (hopefully).

Be grateful for every moment!

Treasure my 91(92 year old in March), Dad.

May the good winds blow Peace and Plenty to All.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

My dh and I have both been blessed with good health and we still are even now in our 70's!   We both just have some normal old age discomforts!   I have always prayed for good health so I think I will just pray a little more in 2019 and hope it keeps on going good for both of us! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I make no resolutions any more as I get disgusted with myself when I can't stick to them and then I feel even worse about myself!!!

However, this year as I am newly retired, I am unofficially going to reassess pretty much everything in my life!  I have to find my new "groove" so speak!! 

I have so much to catch up on regarding housework.  I need to purge, rid out, clean out -- you name it --- to the "nth" degree!  This will take quite some time.  However. along the way, I want to somehow find time for ME!  I have been on a schdule for so very long, I don't event think I know how to just go with the flow!!! 

Although I have quite a few health issues which prevent me from doing many things regarding physical fitness which I did and enjoyed in the past, I am going to try and find some sort of regime to improve my fitness level --- not only to make me feel better physically, but mentally!  

Cheers to the new year and hopefully to the new and improved me!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@moon_gazer

Thank you for your nice post. My next B-day will be #80. Yes, I have fallen since getting back to skating again at age 78. Broken upper Right Rib, and another Broken Nose. Getting back my balance was the key after 14 years of not skating. Left hip and leg was all shades of black/blue/green and purple for many months.

I don't fall much now, but anyone at any skill level that skates often enough, is going to fall if skating at their maximum skill level. I certainly do not like "ending up prone on the ice", but fear never enters my mind. That I fill with my love of still just being to skate well once again.

Have a great 2019, including all your loved ones.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Read more / pray more.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@moon_gazer

Thank you for your nice post. My next B-day will be #80. Yes, I have fallen since getting back to skating again at age 78. Broken upper Right Rib, and another Broken Nose. Getting back my balance was the key after 14 years of not skating. Left hip and leg was all shades of black/blue/green and purple for many months.

I don't fall much now, but anyone at any skill level that skates often enough, is going to fall if skating at their maximum skill level. I certainly do not like "ending up prone on the ice", but fear never enters my mind. That I fill with my love of still just being to skate well once again.

Have a great 2019, including all your loved ones.

hckynut

@hckynut   i love to ice skate and rollerblade too. i started on double runners at age 3. the last time i ice skated was in feb of 2004.  i hate rinks and we had beautiful pond ice back then. no snow and perfectly smooth.

i rollerbladed a lot after my first lumbar surgery in 2009 (S1-L2.  Now after my 2nd surgery, a lateral fusion L3/4 i can no longer walk well enough w/o a cane. 

i believe my original injury happened in Jan 1990 when we had great ice and my skates went out from under me on a quiet pond. i landed flat on my lower back. my left leg swelled a bit just after and i thought nothing of it.  Five years later my disc herniated and i was out of work for 6 weeks.  i lost the flexion in my left foot and have nerve damage.

sorry to ramble on but i know how you love skating. i was known to grab a stick in a pickup game when the chance arose...

Happy New Year and Happy Blessings for 2019  to you and Cindy

Honored Contributor

@hckynut  You are a constant source of inspiration and always the voice of reason.  I love that you do not accept limitations in your life.  I hear too frequently, "I can no longer (fill in the blank) because I'm too old".  You remind me to move forward with intelligence and reality but with high standards. I live each day to full potential, only by my small daily actions will I reach long term goals. I am grateful you are on this board.  Much love and happiness for you and Cindy in 2019.

Honored Contributor

Hi @CatsyCline

I also have had 2 back surgeries. The 1st one removed ruptured L-5/S-1, lots of Sciatic Nerve damage in my right leg. The 2nd one years later removed ruptured L-3. My right leg still goes completely numb at times, even when skating, and or just walking. Not a good feeling, but I have been able to adjust to it with lots of balance and strength/flexibility work on both legs.

Hey, I'm the "rambler"!  I love hearing stories from those the skate, and/or used to skate. It is always sad for me to hear, that someone that loves to do these things, can no longer do them because of an injury, or other causes. 

Thank you for sharing your story. My motto for physical movement is, and always will be: "Do whatever you can with what ya got"!

My best to you and yours,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Walking more and losing weight.  I've lost about 12 lbs. and I'd like to get  20 more off.  No time frame to do it, just hopefully by the years end.  I have to be realistic or it won't happen.