Honored Contributor

Last week, Saturday, a front crown popped off.  Monday morning I was able to get into my dentist for him to re-cement it.  He said the post was pretty short, that he'd be surprised if it held.  He was right. It popped off again today, while I was flossing this morning, and nearly went down the drain!!! I was lucky to catch it in the nick of time.  I talked to them at the dental office (Dr. isn't there on Fridays) and was able to pick up some temporary cement.  Due to the holiday, I can't see the dentist until the Monday after Thanksgiving to prep for a new crown.  So much to do this month and next - company coming, we have many things to attend, traveling out of town Thanksgiving weekend, three holiday concerts in December, etc.  The permanent crown won't be placed until the 20th.  All in all, it could be worse.  At least there isn't any pain, had root canal years ago, and it'll be completed before year end so no new deductible to meet.  

Esteemed Contributor

Oh Wow! I have had three crowns and one Root Canal. When I had my temporary crowns, I would not even eat on that side of my mouth for fear of it popping off.

Once the permanent ones were installed I have had no problems. 

Good luck with keeping it on until your dentist appointment. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

That's just awful!

How come they have to make a new crown? Can't they use the same one?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch 

That's just awful!

How come they have to make a new crown? Can't they use the same one?

Boy, I wish they could!  With the original interior post being too short for any cement to hold onto, a new, longer post needs to be put in.  That means old crown won't fit over it properly. They didn't even hint at the possibility of drilling out the inside a little, in order to make it work.  It's sounds like it's a complete do over. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch   I was in the same predicament a few years ago.  My front crown came off, post too short etc.  Had to wait for a new one to be put in. It was around Halloween, I looked like a goofy jack o lantern for awhile. Best wishes to you.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch   I was in the same predicament a few years ago.  My front crown came off, post too short etc.  Had to wait for a new one to be put in. It was around Halloween, I looked like a goofy jack o lantern for awhile. Best wishes to you.

@MoJoV   LOL, sounds about right. 😄😆. Thanks. 

Super Contributor

Re: What Timing!

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch  I had to have a root canal on a tooth that had a crown on it. The dentist broke the tooth and I had to go to a periodontist to cut away some gum, so I had more tooth exposed for the new crown to hang on to. It was a pain but so worth it. It is an eye tooth. I hope everything goes well for you and that's great about no deductible.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry you have to wait so long for a crown. My dentist makes them while you wait and it adds about 90 minutes to the visit so no added trip just to place a crown. Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Sorry you have to wait so long for a crown. My dentist makes them while you wait and it adds about 90 minutes to the visit so no added trip just to place a crown. Good luck. 

Man, I'd stay all day, if I had to, to get it that fast!  I live in a rural area, nothing like that down here that I know of.  We ve been going to this office for over 30 yrs.  

Honored Contributor

Re: What Timing!

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch   Oh, I am so sorry that happened.  Dental anything is so expensive.

I had a crown on a back molar explode Into pieces while eating a HERSHEY KISS.   Don't ask me how I managed that.

I called my dentist who works alone.  He was out with COVID.  Thankfully, someone was filling in for him.  I covered my tooth with that red wax that is on Babybel cheese to protect it until I had my appointment.  My old crown was 20 years old and only half the price of my new one.

I have a dentist appointment this coming week. Hopefully, just a routine cleaning.

Good luck with your new crown.