Esteemed Contributor

Re: What The Heck Was I Thinking.

@Terrywu  Oh, geez, I don't mean to scare you. I should have been more considerate.  I hope in a month I will feel differently. Please don't let my complaining deter you.

My neighbor is an RN in the recovery room of a large hospital.  She deals with TKR and hip replacements daily.  She came to see me Sunday and she said my pain is not unusual.  The knee surgery is worse than the hip.

The only thing I can say is my leg is finally straight.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2,

Am sorry you are in pain and having a rough night; I assure you things will start getting better.   

My opinion after having both knees replaced 5 years apart, and 2 different experiences, is that the first 10 days are absolutely the most difficult, period.   

Yes, you do have more pain now than before, but it is coming from the surgery.  Hang on to the fact the pain you feel right now is healing pain, it will go away in the coming weeks, and you will be pain free.  You have fixed your problem, and it’s healing; yes, it’s sore, it’s inflamed, and it’s very tender and sensitive.  But every single day will get a little better!   

Your body needs the pain medication right now, and it’s letting you know you need it.   Always stay on top of your pain!   As you are finding out tonight, it takes way too long for pain meds to kick in and bring relief when you are hurting.  Your body will also let you know when you do not need the pain meds.

What you are going thru right now, is exactly why you must take your pain medication before you go to your outpatient PT sessions.  Your workouts there will be harder, possibly involve a recumbent bike, maybe weights, etc., and I guarantee you will leave in pain.   But you will work that soreness out!   

Remember, you are just starting day 8, and what you are experiencing sounds perfectly normal to me.   Been there, done it 2x, and am so thankful to be totally pain free!   

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I'm sorry you are in so much pain.  I had my TKR a year and a half ago.  About 4 weeks into recovery, I developed bursitis in the opposite hip which is more painful than the knee.  I ended up having a MRI of my lower back that revealed significant spinal stenosis.  My knee finally feels better but tires easily and is still "tight."   I hurt so much in my lower back and left hip though that I wonder if I will ever be pain free.  Some people seem to do extrodianrily well after a TKR and some have multiple other results that are far from stellar.  At least your DR. gave you some percoset-the strongest med I got was Tylenol 3.  I spent many a night up wondering if I would live thru my next breath.  And I have an extremely high pain tolerance-12 years ago I had an ovary to torsion after my hysterectomy.  I didn't think anything could hurt more than that but the recovery from the TKR came close.  You have gotten some good advice-stay ahead of the pain, and check with your doctor to see if anything is above normal in what you are going thru.  It is a valid question that you deserve an answer to.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Terrywu 

My wife is going on week 4, post Right Knee Replacement Surgery. She has told me since the day of her surgery: "I thought it would be much more painful". Sure, the PT can be a bit painful, but my wife again tells me: "It ain't near as bad as I thought.

I have met many that have had this surgery, including close friends and family. Not a single one of them regretted having it done, just the opposite. "It's one of the best decisions I have made", is what I hear.

Don't have any idea what problems are bothering @CrazyKittyLvr2, but for my wife, other than a 2-3 day setback because of swelling, everything is going pretty much as scheduled. I would never base a decision like this surgery on the problems of another person's surgery.

My wife's doctor is also a good friend of ours, we have known him professionally and socially, for close to 25 years. He does ONLY Hip and Knee Repair and Replacement in his practice. Before my wife decided on this surgery he told her the first 2-3 weeks might be tough and challenging, but most of his patients recovery gets much better quickly after those tough ones.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  No 2 knee replacements are the same.  My SO had both knees  replaced at different times and yes there was a  good bit of pain at first and way more so with the second as he had more arthritis in the second but he says it was well worth it.  According to his ortho surgeon hip replacements are  less painful with  minimal PT so no comparison.  Hang in there and  think positive.  You'll get through it just fine.  

Super Contributor

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EINSTEIN💘

Esteemed Contributor

I had mine two years ago and the second day was the worst after the nerve block wore off. Yes it will hurt for a few weeks but after about the two week mark you should start to see improvement almost daily. Little things like you can go longer without pain pills, (I was off all drugs at 2weeks but probably could have been sooner if I wasn't so darn chicken) therapy doesn't hurt as much, you can do more with less pain. Going up and down stairs etc. Baby steps. . My husband went back to work after 2 weeks and I was alone. I managed getting downstairs to make food and drinks and sit down there instead of being in bed. Before I knew it I was back driving (4weeks), out and about. It does get better but it takes time. You'll be slow at first but you'll get there. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  .. something doesn't sound right.  My mother had both knees done (not at the same time). She was 81 years old when she had the last one done.  She had a very low tolerance for pain.  But she didn't have the type of pain you have described.   I would check with your surgeon.  

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2, sorry you're feeling so bad now. I've never had that surgery, but I'm sure it is painful. Hope you are able to enjoy your Thanksgiving and hopefully by Christmas you are feeling much better. Praying for you a quick recovery. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 When my father had his knee replaced, he said he would never, ever do the other one if it was ever recommended.

When my uncle had his done, the surgeon left bone and cement that caused him terrible pain and he needed a second surgery to clean it up.