Honored Contributor

Re: What Products Do You Use For Neuropathy Please?

@Reconnaissant 

Generally, how you treat neuropathy depends on what caused it. 

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely agree with the supplements recommended here.  All of those in addition to alpha lipoic acid is great for nerve pain. You can take pretty high amounts of alpha lipoic acid until you find the amount that helps. I get the pain in my feet and supplements have helped me. Would not even consider anything pharmaceutical. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Toppers3 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

I take 600 mg of alpha lipoic acid a day for mine. It's been shown to help with nerve pain. It's also is good for the skin and metabolism. Definitely worth a google if you want more info. Nerve pain is a bear to treat. 

Hi @Reconnaissant and @GenXmuse ,

I have neuropathy in my legs and feet.

I started to especially notice it when I started to have problems with poor circulation and Lymphedema.

I'm also dealing with neuropathy due to Type 2 Diabetes.

The supplements have especially helped with the zappy-type of nerve activity that I get in my feet and legs. It has improved, but they're not a cure, by any means.

I still take prescription meds., as well.

I see a D.O. or an Osteopath. He is fine with me taking different supplements.

I also take Alpha-Lipoic Acid. I also take it to help calm nerve activity.

I also take a Super B Complex Vitamin for the same reason.

I also have Fibromyalgia and chronic head, neck, and back pain from a car accident that I was in years ago.

For the Fibro., I take Malic Acid, and I also take Tart Cherry supplements to help with inflammation.

I also take a Magnesium supplement daily, as well.

I take maintenance doses of these supplements.

I started out on the smallest doses possible for awhile, and then worked my way to the safest therapeutic doses with my doctor's o.k.

I also have neuropathy from type 2 diabetes...I couldn't sleep last night because of the pain in my feet!!!!...I will get some alpha lipoic acid and the tart cherry too. So glad I saw these posts...an answer to prayer! Magnesium is on the list too! Heart

Trusted Contributor

@emmygrace wrote:

@Toppers3 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

I take 600 mg of alpha lipoic acid a day for mine. It's been shown to help with nerve pain. It's also is good for the skin and metabolism. Definitely worth a google if you want more info. Nerve pain is a bear to treat. 

I started to especially notice it when I started to have problems with poor circulation and Lymphedema.

The supplements have especially helped with the zappy-type of nerve activity that I get in my feet and legs. It has improved, but they're not a cure, by any means.

I also have Fibromyalgia and chronic head, neck, and back pain from a car accident that I was in years ago.

For the Fibro., I take Malic Acid, and I also take Tart Cherry supplements to help with inflammation.

I started out on the smallest doses possible for awhile, and then worked my way to the safest therapeutic doses with my doctor's o.k.

I also have neuropathy from type 2 diabetes...I couldn't sleep last night because of the pain in my feet!!!!...I will get some alpha lipoic acid and the tart cherry too. So glad I saw these posts...an answer to prayer! Magnesium is on the list too! Heart

@emmygrace  Alpha lipoic acid isn’t like taking an aspirin and you feel relief quickly. It needs to be in your system for several days.  And how many days depends on each person. I take 300 mg twice a day and that seems to do it for me. You may need more. 

I so hope this helps you. That feet pain is just awful. Let us know how you’re doing after awhile! 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Teddie wrote:

@emmygrace wrote:

@Toppers3 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

@emmygrace  Alpha lipoic acid isn’t like taking an aspirin and you feel relief quickly. It needs to be in your system for several days.  And how many days depends on each person. I take 300 mg twice a day and that seems to do it for me. You may need more. 

I so hope this helps you. That feet pain is just awful. Let us know how you’re doing after awhile! 

@Teddie wrote:

@emmygrace wrote:

@Toppers3 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

I ordered several things from Pureformulas today...I'll keep you informed! I did take some CALM (magnesium product) today and it really helped.. thanks again! Heart

I wanted to add...I'm so sorry for the pain you've been experiencing...! Woman Sad

Trusted Contributor

I ordered several things from Pureformulas today...I'll keep you informed! I did take some CALM (magnesium product) today and it really helped.. thanks again! Heart

I wanted to add...I'm so sorry for the pain you've been experiencing...! Woman Sad

You are on the right track, @emmygrace ! Good for you and I’ll say a prayer for you that this combination works.  ❤️

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. I’m thrilled that other posters are able to use the information y’all provided and hopefully find relief. Much better than a prescription. 

Trusted Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

You are on the right track, @emmygrace ! Good for you and I’ll say a prayer for you that this combination works.  ❤️

@Teddie is correct regarding how the Alpha-Lipoic Acid works @emmygrace Heart

I'm sure that we're all aware by now that when you take any supplement, you have to give it time to work.

I have been taking these various supplements for probably about two years now.

It was several months before I started to really notice positive changes.

The one change where I notice immediate differences was with the Magnesium. 

I also noticed a calming influence with it, and that is one of the things that it is noted for doing.

Another thing that I wanted to mention here is in regard to the Tart Cherry supplement.

I had forgotten to mention this to all of you at first, but this is important for you to know if you decide that you want to try it for arthritic types of inflammation. 

It naturally contains Melatonin in it, so you may notice it making you sleepy/tired as a side-effect of it.

When I first started taking it, I added it in at bedtime and I started it at the smallest dose that I could tolerate and I stayed at that dose for awhile.

Again, I was doing all of this with my primary doctor's knowledge.

Valued Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

Thanks Teddie! Heart

Valued Contributor

There are SO many effective supplements for neuropathy, and it seems like alpha lipoic acid is mentioned time and time again.  One thing I did to gather information was to go to the Amazon website and enter the word "neuropathy" into their search engine. Then I looked at the number of reviews each supplement had and those that had reviews into the thousands seemed to indicate that the product was effective. It also helps to read the reviews because you learn what people were treating and the effectiveness of the product. Good luck, you are SURE to find treatments out there!!