Esteemed Contributor

Re: What OTC Anti-inflammatory med have you found to be least upsetting to your stomach?

Hi AngelPuppy,

Though I've only read a few comments and know there's a high probability that someone else has already advised of this, I'll go ahead and repeat. When taking an NSAID, OTC or not, you must take it with "major food" and plenty of liquid. (Major food is a meal.) If one is prescribed right before bedtime, then you must have at least a small meal.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What OTC Anti-inflammatory med have you found to be least upsetting to your stomach?

I broke a bone in my foot some 9 weeks ago. At first, the doctor would not allow me to take ibuprofin, said it impedes healing of fractures. Tylenol was all I could take and it didn't make a dent. Now that the bone is healing well and I'm out of the boot and getting PT, I can take Advil again. My swelling has gone down a lot more since I was able to take the anti-inflammatory. I've always taken Advil for muscle issues and it works wonders, especially the new one with the new coating.

I always take it with food and have never had any stomach issues. However, I never take the maximum in a day, I am a bit conservative on that point. I usually take 4 at the most a day if I need them.

Regular Contributor

Aleve/naproxen causes me no stomach issues whatsoever.
Honored Contributor

On 5/29/2014 vermint said:

Diclofenac 75mg is what my dr. just prescribed for me (arthritis in knees, just diagnosed). It works great, though it does make me a little sleepy. I always take it with food, and have not had any stomach issues with it at all. Not expensive either...less than $10 for 60 pills, with my insurance.

My rheumatologist just prescribed that for me .... because I'm taking too many (coated) aspirin. Nothing else makes a dent ... not Aleve, Advil, Tylenol ... nothing. I'm hoping this helps. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Super Contributor

On 5/29/2014 RedTop said:

Ibuprofen worked well for my knee pain in the early stages of osteoarthritis. However, as my joint deteriorated, I needed prescription strength ibuprofen in a large dose daily to bring any relief at all. Once I began to feel the burning in my stomach I stopped taking ibuprofen because I knew it was damaging my stomach lining at that point. I tried, and liked both Aleve and Advil gel caps, and did not have an adverse effect from either. I always made sure there was food in my stomach before taking any type of anti-inflammatory, and I drank plenty of fluids to help dissolve and move the medication through my system. Aleve is now the only otc NSAID in my house. My husband and oldest daughter are the ones who reach for the bottle most often; I haven't taken more than 5 Aleve since my knee replacement 2 years ago, as I don't have knee pain. Wishing you well with finding something that works to alleviate your discomfort.

fyi......advil, motrin and ibuprofen are the same thing.

Respected Contributor

I can't take prescription strength ibuprofen or it upsets my stomach, but I can take several OTC (Costco) 200 mg tabs throughout the day, maybe one every 4-6 hours. It keeps the levels up in my system enough to do some good, but not enough to mess with my stomach.

My Dr. gave me a sample of Voltaren Gel (diclofenac) to put on externally on my knee or where ever it hurts & it seems to work really well, so that might be an option if you can't take it orally, as it absorbs right where it's needed. I think it's not a cheap med, though.