Honored Contributor

Re: What OTC Anti-inflammatory med have you found to be least upsetting to your stomach?

My aunt was taking one or two Alleve per day for arthritis pain. She had no stomach pain from it. She has been taking Paxil/Paroxetine which is an antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication. Now, when CVS pharmacy gives her the prescription for her Paroxetine, there is a clear warning that taking her medication or other medications with NSAID medications can result in severe stomach hemmorage. Just before the warnings came out, my aunt wound up in the hospital with a life-threatening stomach bleed. Before you take an NSAD, check with your pharmacist about bleeding from interaction with your prescriptions.

Honored Contributor

Re: What OTC Anti-inflammatory med have you found to be least upsetting to your stomach?

Ibuprofen worked better for me than any prescription meds. I used to live on 800mg 24/7.

I have not needed to take it at all since eliminating processed foods, grain, sugar, etc. from my diet.

Honored Contributor

What OTC Anti-inflammatory med have you found to be least upsetting to your stomach?

I've never had any stomach problem from any anti-inflammatory and I have been diagnosed with-GERD/Inflamed Esophagus/Hiatal hernia and Barrett's Esophagus. When I had some serious injuries years ago the therapeutic dosage of Ibuprofen was 800mg x 3 per day=2400mg. Most of the time these were continued for anywhere from a month to 3 months. Was on Celebrex for awhile until after my 2nd heart attack and decided since Vioxx was taken off the market because of heart valve issues and I have had 2 heart attacks?

Talked with my doctor friend that prescribed them or the arthritis in my fingers and told him I didn't want to take any unnecessary risks with anything to do with my heart. He concurred and I haven't taken any type of anti-inflammatory since and my 2nd heart attack was September 12, 2007. Now I take nothing stronger than a 500mb tylenol generic for my arthritic riddled body. Doesn't do a whole lot for my finger arthritis but seems to help other arthritic joints in my body. Haven't figured that one out yet and don't know the why or what for of it.

Have your tried the Enteric coated aspirins? I know those are not suppose to dissolve or break up while in the stomach. If you haven't that might be something to consider.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Even if you do not drink,Tylenol is tied to liver damage if it is taken too much or too long. Alcohol and Tylenol are a killer combination......There is no perfect pain reliever.
Super Contributor

On 5/31/2014 Ford1224 said:

95% of the world's prescription painkillers are taken regularly by Americans. Only 5% of the rest of the world's population takes pain killers. This from a report by Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN.

I'm glad to know that I'm in the 5% who takes absolutely nothing except a Tylenol and only when I have a splitting headache which isn't that often.

Regular Contributor

I too have stomach issues which cause discomfort when taking some medications. I take Andrew Lessman' s Circulation and Vein Support everyday and now I have no swelling in my legs and feet. I take a number of his products with great success and no stomach upset. My doctor approves and likes that I can control some of my problems without prescription or OCT medication. I hope this helps.

Valued Contributor

Hope you feel better.

Ibu has always been our pain reliever of choice in our house. Never any issues with our tummies.

Frequent Contributor

Serrapeptase is an enzyme used in Europe and Japan for 25 yrs to relieve pain. Look at reviews on Amazon and Iherb.

Also, for any stomach issues, strong protibiotics are essential. I have reversed some serious problems with large doses.

Honored Contributor

Very kind of you to respond! And I thank you! I shall look up your suggestions. Also, I do take probiotics 2ce daily per doctor's orders. I think they are very beneficial.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

My doctor prescribes a prescription strength prilosec for me to take with my NSAID - problem solved.