Respected Contributor

What Nut Milk tastes Good In Tea

I am gradually giving up cow's milk. Anyone have an alternative that also would taste good in tea? I have tried Almond milk and didn't like it in tea but liked it in smoothies and in cooking. But to find one that tastes good in tea is hard. I have heard  of Rice Milk but rice isn't good for you it is known to have arsenic in it. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What Nut Milk tastes Good In Tea

I've been using in my coffee a product called Nut Pods, it's dairy free, unsweetened, whole 30 approved, it's not bad...I've found in vanilla, hazelnut and a few other flavors. You can find it at Amazon or some select stores.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

try Califa Unsweetened,  

but TBH . I don't love it in tea, don't mind it in coffee but not tea 

Trusted Contributor

ANY kind of milk in tea is a sacrilege! Lemon or sugar, or possibly honey, if you must, but milk, NEVER!

Respected Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

ANY kind of milk in tea is a sacrilege! Lemon or sugar, or possibly honey, if you must, but milk, NEVER!

Hey, the lemon or honey sounds good. Never thought of that Thanks for this!!

Occasional Contributor

I actually like unsweetened almond milk in my tea and when I do get a cappuccino I also have them use almond milk.   I do not like the flavored almon milks - even vanilla. 

Try oat milk.  I tried it but I thought it was "thinner" than almond milk - maybe like more watery?  It could have been the brand I bought - not sure as it was my only oat milk purchase.  I have also had oat milk in cappuccino and liked that.   Milk in black teas is the way the English drink it I believe!  

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama @Any of them will work once your taste buds adjust.You are used to the taste of milk right now..maybe try skim milk for awhile so you will adjust to less milk flavor.

Honored Contributor

@EskimoGirl wrote:

I actually like unsweetened almond milk in my tea and when I do get a cappuccino I also have them use almond milk.   I do not like the flavored almon milks - even vanilla. 

Try oat milk.  I tried it but I thought it was "thinner" than almond milk - maybe like more watery?  It could have been the brand I bought - not sure as it was my only oat milk purchase.  I have also had oat milk in cappuccino and liked that.   Milk in black teas is the way the English drink it I believe!  

100% 

but I don't care for the slightly almond taste the Califa gives to my tea so I save my real milk for tea 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cuddlesmama wrote:

I am gradually giving up cow's milk. Anyone have an alternative that also would taste good in tea? I have tried Almond milk and didn't like it in tea but liked it in smoothies and in cooking. But to find one that tastes good in tea is hard. I have heard  of Rice Milk but rice isn't good for you it is known to have arsenic in it. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Ones that have a higher % of fat content:

Soy & Oat, are 2 favorites.

Oat have a hint of oat taste (obviously) but Soy is very neutral. 

And oat can be easily made in your kitchen.

And Rice?

Rice Milk is fine.  Are you going to drinks multiple gallons of 

rice milk at each sitting?  Prob not.
And the danger-danger of arsenic is rice is over-exaggerated.  

Rice milk w/ tea might be the best due to the delicate nature of tea...

just try & see.

Frequent Contributor

Hi There,

I am a big tea drinker and I switched away from milk in my tea about 15 years ago.

It takes a while to get used to a new milk, but you will !

First of all : do you sweeten your tea ? What kind of fat content do you currently use?

Most Nutmilks are sweetened, some are flavored, there also are non-dairy creamers available that give you the mouthfeel and taste of a higher fat milk / cream.

My personal choice is an organic, unsweetened soymilk, but on occasion I will drink almondmilk and enjoy that. Rice and oatmilks taste a bit watery to me, but in a pinch I might consider them.

Good luck finding a pleasant alternative, and know it will never be the same but it can be equally satisfying.