Respected Contributor

Re: What Is the Best Preparation for a Colonoscopy?

Thanks, everyone for your suggestions!!  I really do appreciate it!!

Regular Contributor

I had my first last October, I took Prepopik, it was great, no kidding, nice flavor easy to drink.  Had to do it twice and followed the instructions to a tee, it was timed perfectly, by the time my appt was, no cramping, no complaints, would want that one again when I do it again in 7 years.

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@sipp wrote:

Well- that depends on your own body and it's usually your doctor's recommendation----My husband's doctor recommends a different concoction for him than mine does for me He has some gigundous bottle of something that he has to drink - I have the citrate of magnesia (lemon flavor)- and frankly he has no problem with clearing everything out in a short time- whereas I am still so sensitive to the prep that I wear an adult diaper (normally I do NOT wear adult diapers)to be able to make it to the procedure without messing all over the car! We both start early the previous day- follow instructions to the letter-- I've never heard of the "pills". but again- mostly it's your doctor who decides what they actually prefer since they know what works best to clear everything out. (I've never heard of "pills". Good luck though! It's not as awful a procedure as some people would have you believe!

I may have to forego the procedure because of the prep.  They need to change it up to be less intolerable.  I'm sure many people don't get it done because of the prep.  I  wonder if they would hospitalize me for the prep and procedure. . .

With your citrate of magnesia, do you have to consume large quantities of liquid?  That would be my problem, since I have had urethral cancer and they took out most of it.  I can't  tolerate lots of liquids.

I don't think your insurance company would pay for hospital admission for the test but you shouldn't forego the procedure with your diagnosis.  I am sure if you meet with the gastroenterologist, they could come up with a prep that is tolerable for you.  I find the pills easier as the large amount of fluid is just horrible for me; I usually can't finish it due to nausea.  My doctor uses mirilax which isn't bad because it isn't a large quantity but I prefer pills. 

Honored Contributor

@fortune wrote:

What is the most tolerable preparation for a colonoscopy?  Is it the one with the pills or the one where you drink a bunch of liquid?

Since when do you have a choice?  Just follow the instructions they gave you. 

Honored Contributor

For the last colonoscopy I had I took Miralax with Gatorade.  I didn't like Gatorade to start with so that was a good choice for me.  Just don't drink anything red.  You'll be asleep (la la land) for the procedure itself so I think the prep is the worst part.  Just follow your doctor's instructions.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

i had one a few yrs ago had to take 2 or 3 tablets and miralax i put in dt. iced tea... i actually had no problem drinking it at all  i told my mom i would do it every yr. and the procedure was a piece of cake to me.... i was given the needle woke up and it was over.. i have to get one again have to schedule an appt. colon cancer runs in both sides of my family,, but to me the  prep was no problem at all i was lucky. hope its just as easy this time i have to do it. i actually called the doc cause my "stools" werent clear like they said they have to be,,, they said it was cause i was mixing it with iced tea.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Hate the Gatorade stuff so my GI Dr. said to take the Dulcolax and then drink Miralax mixed into Diet Peach Snapple.  Love this Snapple so only the last few ounces were hard to sip down through the straw.

Different from earlier preps, there was no diarrhea, no cramping, and no irritation.  I even got a good night's sleep !!!!

Good Luck with your prep and test.

I think Drs are moving to this method because it is easier on patient and thus they are able to complete the prep,  the ingredients are easy to get at the drugstore as well.  This is just my opinion.

I mixed the miralax with white cranberry juice, but in retrospect I would just do water. The taste got to me after a bit, and I diltuted it as well.

Frequent Contributor

I normally do not post much but as I happened to have my ten year screening colonoscopy last week I thought I would add something positive. I had the Movi Prep and it was absolutely easy. I mixed it with Crystal Light, it went down fine. The cleanse was much more gentle than with that giant gallon I had to drink ten years ago. Here is a tip, I was really nervous right before going in, and I told the nurse that. She was so sweet and told me that she would tell the doctor to really sedate me, which he did. It wasn't the propofol it was the Demerol and versed. Everyone was so kind there. They did find and remove a polyp which was benign, so I am very glad I went. A Colonoscopy can really save your life. The benign polyps can turn cancerous if left there. Don't be afraid it is not a big deal. I shopped on my IPad while I was "cleansing" which I love to do anyway and bought a pair of Skechers. Also you know a cleanse is very, very good for your body. I hope this helps.