Esteemed Contributor

What I noticed among my piers

Over the holiday I had the opportunity of seeing many old friends and relatives I hadn't seen in quite some time and I noticed everyone is noticeably shrinking!  Even men that I once had to look at are now at my eye level.  Now I don't know if it's because I spent most of my life working out or I've been very lucky so far but you can bet I will continue my regular workouts.  Get stretching everyone!

Honored Contributor

Re: What I noticed among my piers

It's "peers".

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ANewHue, how long has gravity been pulling them down?

I've gone from 5'7" all my life. A couple of years ago, the doctor's office decided to take my height. I've gone down to 5'5.5". (Back discs are no help). The real bummer, put me in another weight bracket, lower, now that's a bummer.

Honored Contributor

@ANewHue

I am glad you are not shrinking!!!  LOL!  I haven't seen any friends, etc. lately or noticed them shrinking, but I was surprised to learn not long ago that I have lost an inch in my height.  But then again, maybe not since I have osteo pretty bad and other health problems which preclude me from doing much in the way of exercise.

What I have noticed is many people I know seem to be growing -- in the other direction!!!   I think this is a very common problem and one which a lot of us struggle with!!!  Woman Wink

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I've worked out all my life, all high impact activities, but I used to be 5'4" and now, at 69, I am 5'3". My bone density is fine but my knees and my back show the effects of life on my body. I do stretches, lift free weights, and go to aerobic dance classes but I'm still shorter than I once was. I think that happens to just about everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

I was always 5'7". Then I had a checkup and I was 5-6.5". Disappointing. At that time, I took up yoga seriously, which is great exercise for your spine. A year later I measured 5'-7.5". Still do, four years later. Another plus? I overcame my tendency to slouch when watching TV.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

It's "peers".

LOL!  I had a question mark in my head on what this was about.

Good for you if you haven't noticed shrinking, since it happens to just about everyone after 40.  I'm sure exercise helps some, but if shrinkage is due to bad posture, compression of spinal discs, osteoperosis, and worn out cartilage, it seems to me most of us are doomed.  My loss of almost an inch was due to the spinal disc issue.  Makes me sad.  By the way, I guess you have a better eye for it.  I don't notice these small amounts of height loss in my friends, or even myself.  I was actually in shock when I went for a bone density and discovered my loss.  I'm pretty tall, so I still tower over a lot of people.  

Esteemed Contributor

Genetics can also play a roll in this. Posture/muscle and bone density and strength are a couple more. I have had 3 ruptured lumbar discs removed and from that I've lost 1/2 inch in height. 

I can see where inversion can also help some that are able to do this type of stretching. There is seldom a down side to keeping muscles strong and flexible as well as connective tissue. I see posture and bone density also being a factor.

Stay with good life long eating habits/resistance exercises/stretching exercises and some type of mental relaxation program and your body and mind will treat you much better in later years.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

It's "peers".

Lol that's what I get when I post when I'm tired.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ANewHue My mom is in her late 60's and she used to be 5'5". She is now just a bit shorter than me (I'm 5'4") so she lost about an inch and a half. She has been active all her life but she did get Rhuematoid Arthritis in her early 40's after an infection in her hysterectomy incision. The doctors say that RA played a part in her losing some of her height but they also found she has slight scoloisis on her spine, which was never caught as a child. This of course, also plays a part in the height difference. But yes, it seems most people lose a little height (how much varies) as they get older for a variety of reasons. Just the very nature of how the spine (and all our bones and joints) ages makes sense that most people will lose some height after awhile, regardless of how healthy they are and regardless of their flexibility. Smiley Happy