Super Contributor

Re: What Happens to your body after ingesting a Big Mac

@June222 wrote:

You know what happens to your body after taking one sip of coffee, but that's nothing compared to what occurs one hour after stuffing your face with a Big Mac. Besides instantly regretting your choice of meal, here is a breakdown of what happens inside you after deciding to eat that lump of a sandwich.

Just 10 minutes after eating a Big Mac, your blood sugar raises to abnormal levels. This is called the "why the hell did I just eat that" phase.

Since the Big Mac bun has high levels of sodium and high-fructose corn syrup your body will crave more of it after just 20 minutes. This is called the "I completely hate myself" phase.

A half hour after eating a Big Mac your kidneys will have trouble getting rid of all that sodium, forcing your heart to work faster to pump blood to your veins. This can ultimately lead to a stroke or heart disease. This is called the "My diet starts on Monday" phase.

Even after eating that 540 calorie burger, your body will start to feel hungry again after just 40 minutes. This is the "let me find a good corner to shame eat" phase.

After one hour that burger will just sit in the pit of your stomach. The Big Mac usually takes up to three days to completely digest. This is the "eh, I had a good run" phase.

Dietician nutritionist Lisa Moskovitz says that while the infographic is "somewhat exaggerated" it is still accurate, and that the affects on a body vary from person to person.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/this-is-what-happens-to-your-body-one-hour-after-devouring...

To put your post in perspective, same thing happens after Thanksgivng Dinner (much worse) or after eating a large dinner at a restaurant.

Honored Contributor

I don't think I've ever had a big mac, and have no interest in trying one.

Respected Contributor

"somewhat exaggerated"

Very exaggerated.  Not the actual nutrition facts, but the rest of the story.

Do these people realize that it's the year 2015 & I'm fairly certain that people are aware of nutrition information. So it's not news.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dusty1 wrote:

it's the year 2015 & I'm fairly certain that people are aware of nutrition information. So it's not news.

Unfortunately it's the year 2015 & people are not aware of nutritional information.   The majority of the public still doesn't understand to prevent diabetes, you need to remove the fat, not the sugar. 

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

"somewhat exaggerated"

Do these people realize that it's the year 2015 & I'm fairly certain that people are aware of nutrition information. So it's not news.

Then why do so many people still eat the junk? Why is Americans still so overweight? Maybe it is that they are aware of it but just don't care?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Dusty1 wrote:

"somewhat exaggerated"

Then why do so many people still eat the junk? Why is Americans still so overweight? Maybe it is that they are aware of it but just don't care?

Americans are overweight. It's not for lack of information, so my point is that these "shaming" stories aren't going to cure the problem. Maybe more compassion & care for America's emotional health would help someone. People eat junk for a lot of reasons. It's cheap. It's fast & everyone is in a big hurry. Maybe it's comfort food. I don't know. I'm saying the information about nutrition is everywhere. I don't really think that the people that post it are all that worried about my health or how I feel. They just want to shame people.

Trusted Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Dusty1 wrote:

"somewhat exaggerated"

Americans are overweight. It's not for lack of information, so my point is that these "shaming" stories aren't going to cure the problem. Maybe more compassion & care for America's emotional health would help someone. People eat junk for a lot of reasons. It's cheap. It's fast & everyone is in a big hurry. Maybe it's comfort food. I don't know. I'm saying the information about nutrition is everywhere. I don't really think that the people that post it are all that worried about my health or how I feel. They just want to shame people.

I totally agree with your post. Processed foods are less expensive too, for many people to buy who are on very tight budgets. That could be another contributing factor, too. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think the average person knows what their caloric intake should be.   (I am under 5'.......and need to eat 600 calories LESS than the average person.)  

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Dusty1 wrote:

"somewhat exaggerated"

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Dusty1 wrote:

"somewhat exaggerated"

As shocking as this may sound, many Americans (myself included) know we won't live forever regardless of how we eat, exercise, or take care of ourselves, so we enjoy life while we're alive. We eat delicious, fatty, calorie laden food for pleasure. It tastes good, we enjoy it, so we eat it. (I'll be having a slice of chocolate cake later today and doughnuts for breakfast tomorrow.)

I've spent too much time visiting "healthy"people who are essentially warehoused in nursing homes until they die. No matter the diet, exercise, or personal care one takes of oneself, age catches up to everybody. Given a choice between dying "early" and enjoying life until death, or living a life of deprivation to squeeze every minute of life possible out of my body, even if it means spending the last ten years of my life in a nursing home, I'll take the dying "early."

I know it irks the food police, but the reality is I'll die happy, with a full belly and a smile on my face remembering the great food I've eaten while they're wandering the halls of their nearby assisted living facility nursing their bowl of granola and gloating that they've outlived everyone they know. I've been around long enough to know that outliving everyone you know isn't a lot of fun. If I die "early" then so be it, but to me, life is for living and delicious food is part of living.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Dusty1 wrote:

"somewhat exaggerated"

@HappyDaze  I am always shocked at what people eat. Don't they care what goes into this fabulous machine... Our Body? My husband is no different.. I try to help him to make healthy choices, but I know if I did not try to help him, he would just eat something because it tastes good.. or go days without eating fruits and vegetables. I just WILL NOT ingest junk food PERIOD EVER. It goes against my religion.