Trusted Contributor

Re: What Happens to your body after ingesting a Big Mac

@Desertdi wrote:

I don't think the average person knows what their caloric intake should be.   (I am under 5'.......and need to eat 600 calories LESS than the average person.)  

@Desertdi  Yes.. I am 5'8" and eat under 1200 calories a day to sustain my weight.. and if I want to lose weight I just eat under 1000 calories with lots of vegetables and no carbs.

Respected Contributor

As shocking as this may sound, many Americans (myself included) know we won't live forever regardless of how we eat, exercise, or take care of ourselves, so we enjoy life while we're alive. We eat delicious, fatty, calorie laden food for pleasure. It tastes good, we enjoy it, so we eat it. (I'll be having a slice of chocolate cake later today and doughnuts for breakfast tomorrow.)

I've spent too much time visiting "healthy"people who are essentially warehoused in nursing homes until they die. No matter the diet, exercise, or personal care one takes of oneself, age catches up to everybody. Given a choice between dying "early" and enjoying life until death, or living a life of deprivation to squeeze every minute of life possible out of my body, even if it means spending the last ten years of my life in a nursing home, I'll take the dying "early."

I know it irks the food police, but the reality is I'll die happy, with a full belly and a smile on my face remembering the great food I've eaten while they're wandering the halls of their nearby assisted living facility nursing their bowl of granola and gloating that they've outlived everyone they know. I've been around long enough to know that outliving everyone you know isn't a lot of fun. If I die "early" then so be it, but to me, life is for living and delicious food is part of living.

I love your post. I forgot that I didn't have to defend the position. I could just say that eating fun, good tasting food can just be for the joy of it!

Respected Contributor

My choice of poison is the Quarter Pounder w/cheese-w/fries and a coke. I splurge maybe 1x every couple of years.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting the article. It’s a good reminder when tempted to eat something like that. My husband and I normally eat pretty healthy - lots of fresh vegetables and fish. However, recently we spent hours at an appointment and when we left we were both really hungry. We stopped at a burger place and both of us felt bad afterward. I actually felt bad for several days. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just read where 20 McDonalds will be doing test market for a new upsell.  

Monster Energy Drink will be available for an add'l $1.50.

The addiction claws dig in deeper.

Lordy.  SMH

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Just read where 20 McDonalds will be doing test market for a new upsell.  

Monster Energy Drink will be available for an add'l $1.50.

The addiction claws dig in deeper.

Lordy.  SMH

geeze! These "energy" drinks are so very bad for you on so many levels!

Honored Contributor

My son is 32 and got his DL. at 16 like all others and I honestly believe that since he got his license I have not been back to McDonald's.  We had off campus lunch when I was in high school and McD. was just down the road so I had it myself a lot growing up and then with a child I have had enough.

But if I remember correctly they were not bad going down.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."