Super Contributor

Re: What Do You Do When You Can't Sleep?

I'm always up late at night until like midnight or 1 am.  I'm a night owl and always have been.  When I finally fall asleep it doesn't matter what time it is until 4 am in the morning.  My cat never lets me sleep beyond this time!  Doesn't matter that he has food in his bowl all the time; he wants me up so he can eat with me standing there by him.  Go figure!  lol

Esteemed Contributor

As a result of my Dad's late 50s and early 60s trolling of health food stores in San Francisco on his days off, came to appreciate the combined effects of a tea made from catnip and skullcap teas/herbs.  They're sold in bags like loose tea and are light green/light green-gray.  Combine in a strainer sitting atop a mug and let steep for at least 5 minutes.  This combo really works!

Respected Contributor

If I can't sleep, I watch tv a while ---but more often than not, I find that saying THE LORD'S PRAYER usually relaxes me enough to doze on off.  Go figure.  The Lord works in mysterious ways...just sayiin'..

Honored Contributor

Turn on the TV, go on the internet.  If I don't get sleepy within an hour or so, I get up for the day...stay up all day until the following evening and go to bed around 11:00 pm.  Absolutely, no napping, not even 15 minutes.  I'll do that until I can fall asleep at around that time. That often does the trick for me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I wake up in the middle of the night snd can't get back to sleep I play solitaire or do jig saw puzzles on my IPad.  Seems to be effective most of the time.  I also enjoy audio books and find listening to them gets me to sleep;  it's like being read a bedtime story!  

Honored Contributor

I rarely can't sleep, but if it is a problem, I get up and read a little. That usually does it for me after about 15-20 minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

If I had not had milk before I get some. My cat is usually in bed but if not I call her and she usually comes. Just petting her and talking helps. To night I am having a bad time in life generally-no illness but anxiety is driving me today and night so I am going to take a pill again that the doctor wrote and hope to go to sleep.  Melatonin stopped working and I am a wreck.

You all have a good night with sleep.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

If I had not had milk before I get some. My cat is usually in bed but if not I call her and she usually comes. Just petting her and talking helps. To night I am having a bad time in life generally-no illness but anxiety is driving me today and night so I am going to take a pill again that the doctor wrote and hope to go to sleep.  Melatonin stopped working and I am a wreck.

You all have a good night with sleep.

@halfpint1 . Yes , please take the pill the doctor recommended. Hope you get some sleep tonight.

Esteemed Contributor

@RetiredLegslSecretary. I am also a retired paralegal. I retired in 2015. I have the exact same problem. I go to sleep around 9 because I am up so early. Anywhere between 1 and 3 am. I have learned to live with it. When I remember I take a benyadryl which helps a lot abd if I have any aches or pains I take a Tylenol Pm which also helps. I tried taking magnesium but it gave me serious diarrhea and even after being off it over a month I still have occasionsk bouts of it so no more magnesium got me. I like you seem to do fine with 6 hours sleep
Frequent Contributor

My late dear Dad used to say (and I still believe this) that, if you are awake in the middle of the night, don't get up, put on lights, watch tv, etc. - that will only make you more wide awake.  Just stay in bed, be comfortable and relax, tell yourself you are resting your body and mind and, if sleep comes, that's great - but if not, don't worry about it.