Valued Contributor

Re: What Diabetes meds do you take?

@Trinity11 @cherry

I started taking Berberine that I purchased from Amazon. It has done wonders. I decided to get a job in addition to my small business, that provides health insurance, but this job is very stressful. The stress has impacted my control. Adding Berberine does not upset my stomach and has helped enormously. I do also take injections of Novolog and Levemir which insurance does not cover...but that is another story. At least I do have insurance in case something else goes wrong.  

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

I bought some berberine today, but haven't used it yet. I took a second metformin and  my stomach is fine ,so far

Tomorrow, I am 1/2 way through ,my reboot..I feel so much better..I would urge anyone with stomach problems ,to give this stuff a try @CatLoverDogsToo

Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

@Trinity11 @cherry

I started taking Berberine that I purchased from Amazon. It has done wonders. I decided to get a job in addition to my small business, that provides health insurance, but this job is very stressful. The stress has impacted my control. Adding Berberine does not upset my stomach and has helped enormously. I do also take injections of Novolog and Levemir which insurance does not cover...but that is another story. At least I do have insurance in case something else goes wrong.  

@CatLoverDogsToo...check out the Novo-Nordisk website. For 2 years you can get a coupon that you can get both Novolog and Levemir for a co-pay of $25.00 each monthly. I saved hundreds on what my co-pay was on my insurance with Caremark...

The berberine sounds great! I am going to check it out with my endo...

Honored Contributor

I'm going to check with my endo before I take mine ,too @Trinity11..I feel more encouraged ,since this lady didn't have stomach issues with it

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I am struggling with metformin, even the ER stuff. It gives me gastritis. I tried something different today, I didn't take it ,until I finished my  entire meal ,hoping the food in my stomach would act like a buffer

My numbers are always good, but I am getting so weary of stomach issues

The metformin did the same to me..constant tummy pain. I use Lantus now.

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@cherry....since metformin is probably the safest of all the oral meds for Type 2 diabetes if you want to use something else, the side effects can be difficult to deal with. Pancreatitis, heart attacks, Thyroid Cancer, strokes and kidney failure are some of the side effects of the newer meds for Type 2 diabetes and the sulfonylureas have black box warnings for heart disease. Byetta has issues and I have lost two good friends to issues from Avandia.

Since your A1C's are always in the 5's would you be willing to allow them to be higher and thus take a smaller dose of metformin ER? Studies have been done that said that diabetics with higher A1C's often live longer than people with low A1C's. Of course, these studies I take with a grain of salt but being over-medicated with gastritis just to have a perfect A1C, I am not sure if it is worth it. Just a thought...

I lost my mother to a stroke, related to Avandia...surprised its still on the market.

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@emmysmomI am now doing that too. I used to take it with my food, now it's after

I am on day 8 of my digestive reboot, with good belly. I am so much better. I took meds once during the night, during the day I am really feeling good, for the first time ,in my second year of gastritis

The good belly probiotics ,contain 20 billion probiotics, in a quart. I will start my third quart ,tomorrow. It isn't expensive. It is $2.99 a quart. You can buy it  online ,if your store doesn't carry it

It does contain some sugar, but, for the sake of my stomach ,I will put up with it. It is 24 carbs per 8 oz, but, you only take 8 oz per day. They do have pills , however,my store doesn't carry them. They also make something call shots, but, I didn't know what they would taste like.

I would recommend anyone with stomach issues, give it a try, if your Dr approves.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Thank you ladies I will talk to my Dr about Berberine

I was wondering what your doctor said about this , i was just put on trulicity,last week .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest  actaully I didn't take it. I read that it was hard on your stomach, and that put me off

My Dr did tell me, it is OK to take Vit  C ,to prevent sugar spikes. SHe said she didn't know enough about it ,to comment, but it is nothing that is harmful. I have gastritis  and lots of things bother me, not just meds ,but foods too, and supplements. I haven't tried it as of yet