Honored Contributor

What Diabetes meds do you take?

I am interested in diabetes meds ,beside Metformin. I want to take something else, and would like to know about side effects etc. I will be seeing my endo next month, and would like some input on  diabetes meds

I want to know about oral meds

Honored Contributor

Re: What Diabetes meds do you take?

I take Janumet which is a combo of Januvia and Metformin.  I don't like the side effects of the Metformin, but  this medication works well in other ways.  I have no permanent damage from the diabetes and my numbers are good most of the time.

Honored Contributor

@cherry  I can't offer any suggestions regarding meds, but I'm happy to hear that you are seeking alternatives to the Metformin and find some helpful recommendations.

Honored Contributor

so sorry about underlining. I can’t disonnect it. 

I don’t take diabetic meds but my dh does.

he take metformin,  gliberide (not sure of this spelling)  he takes 1.25mg 2x’s a day.  

He can not take any higher does because it lowers his numbers to fast and quickly and he says he begins having major side effects (shaky, dizzy, unsteady).  He take other meds but those are the only 2 for diabetic stuff.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am struggling with metformin, even the ER stuff. It gives me gastritis. I tried something different today, I didn't take it ,until I finished my  entire meal ,hoping the food in my stomach would act like a buffer

My numbers are always good, but I am getting so weary of stomach issues

Valued Contributor

i take Repaglinide the genric of Prandin 5 mg 3 times a day. My ACL is less than 5 and no side effects.

Honored Contributor

@cherry....since metformin is probably the safest of all the oral meds for Type 2 diabetes if you want to use something else, the side effects can be difficult to deal with. Pancreatitis, heart attacks, Thyroid Cancer, strokes and kidney failure are some of the side effects of the newer meds for Type 2 diabetes and the sulfonylureas have black box warnings for heart disease. Byetta has issues and I have lost two good friends to issues from Avandia.

Since your A1C's are always in the 5's would you be willing to allow them to be higher and thus take a smaller dose of metformin ER? Studies have been done that said that diabetics with higher A1C's often live longer than people with low A1C's. Of course, these studies I take with a grain of salt but being over-medicated with gastritis just to have a perfect A1C, I am not sure if it is worth it. Just a thought...

Honored Contributor

@cherry

I ‘hear’ the pain & frustration in your post...and I want to help!

I know my suggestions have been rebuffed up to now,

but I would really, really, really like for you to just

consider reading the work of Dr. Neal Barnard. 

This will at least give you an option of medication choice.

I realize it’s scary to delve into something new, but I know

from the bottom of my heart this would help you so much!

I hope this is read with the warm intention I give.

🌼💛

8CE24F0B-2CBD-4C2D-8C35-14DA6302047C.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I am trying something that might help me. I won't know for some days yet. I am doing a pro biotic reboot for 12 days. I am on day 4, and so far I am better, but I am afraid it isn't going to last

I took metformin for 4 years, with no problem and then all at once,  bingo, it turned on me

I saw a product in the grocery store ,called, good belly ,in the juice section. I have read pro biotics ,can stop gastritis, but ,I am not sure it will work ,when you take an irritant 2 times a day

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  I will ask about taking just 1 pill a day. My numbers are always so good except for monring highs which is just liver dumping

@sidsmommy won't reverse  at my age, I don't have a weight problem ,I have a gene problem and old age