Trusted Contributor

New Procedures In Place:

Complete a survey 24 hours before visit confirming you have not been exposed to COVID, have no temperature, no dry cough, etc.

Stay in car, call to let them know you've arrived.

Wear mask.

They come outside to get you.

Come in, have temperature taken.

Wash hands for 30 seconds.

Rinse mouth twice - each time for 30 seconds.

The staff changes their clothes after each patient. The clothes do not go home to be cleaned, they send them out.

The staff wears two masks plus a shield.

The totally disinfect the room after each patient leaves.

There is a machine in the room that will detect issues with air quality.

Don't stop at receptionist desk to pay or schedule next visit.  When you come home there is a message to call them to pay (give credit card information over phone) and then also schedule the next appointment.

Very different than the past, but I was very impressed how professionally this is being handled.  I felt very confident that they're doing everything they can to keep the patients and their staff safe.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Went To Dentist Yesterday

That sounds like they're really doing their best to keep everyone safe. That being said DH & I cancelled our 6 month appointments. Unless we have a dental emergency we aren't going to take the chance.

Honored Contributor

So as I read down the list of all of the preventive measures (which are necessary, I understand) but I can't help but imagine how much additional cost this is going to be.

I wonder who absorbs that additional cost.  Just think getting everything cleaned and the masks and so on and so on.

Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

New Procedures In Place:

Complete a survey 24 hours before visit confirming you have not been exposed to COVID, have no temperature, no dry cough, etc.

Stay in car, call to let them know you've arrived.

Wear mask.

They come outside to get you.

Come in, have temperature taken.

Wash hands for 30 seconds.

Rinse mouth twice - each time for 30 seconds.

The staff changes their clothes after each patient. The clothes do not go home to be cleaned, they send them out.

The staff wears two masks plus a shield.

The totally disinfect the room after each patient leaves.

There is a machine in the room that will detect issues with air quality.

Don't stop at receptionist desk to pay or schedule next visit.  When you come home there is a message to call them to pay (give credit card information over phone) and then also schedule the next appointment.

Very different than the past, but I was very impressed how professionally this is being handled.  I felt very confident that they're doing everything they can to keep the patients and their staff safe.

@BunSnoop 

That all sounds very thorough, and I hope that my dentist follows similar practices!  There's only one thing that I would have to take issue with - the machine that detects any problems with "air quality."  As far as I know, there's been no device developed that can detect virus floating in the air. So that may sound reassuring,  but it's not really offering any protection. But all in all, I say bravo to your dentist for trying their best to protect everyone.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

There are dentist and other doctors who are adding fifteen to twenty dollar surcharges to the bill because of the EXTRA that they have to do as a result of all of this.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 That's a "no brainer."  It's almost getting to the point where going to the dentist is in a "luxury" category only able to be afforded by people with enough disposable income (and reserves) to pay the bills that increase at every level or being on Medicaid.

I have an excellent dental insurance plan that assumes some of the costs; however, fewer and fewer dentists are "in network" and the ones I checked into who are do not meet my very high standards for care.

I had a titanium screw fracture on one of my implants and have been in the middle of a dental "crisis" to repair this and replace it for over 6 weeks.  I understand that, whether or not it's COVID related, I'm looking at a bill in the "thousands", not "hundreds" when this matter is finally resolved (maybe in 3 weeks).

Honored Contributor

My dentist is also taking every precaution....with all the newest things for cleanliness.  I still decided to put off my cleaning  that was scheduled for this Monday June 1 until August. 

I figure two months time will show if the virus is coming back to attack again....let them work out all the quirks.

Honored Contributor

I expect to pay extra for just about everything preventative for any type of medical thing that we have----

Super Contributor

I'm in no hurry to go back to my dentist when he is open again for my annual cleaning.  I'll just skip it for as long as I can.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not have to go back to mine until Aug. since I had just had a cleaning but that payment option will not be a part of his new procedure.  They hate dealing with credit cards and offer a 5% discount if you pay cash or check.  Never in the decade I have been seeing him have I ever not got my discount.  It does add up over time.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."