Esteemed Contributor

Well, this joint camp was different.

Knee surgery and hip surgery done in same hospital network.  Hip done at their large hospital an hour away,  chose their smaller hospital closer to home (20 min. away)  for new knee.

Hip joint camp -  4 hrs.(including pre-op tests), 12 to 15 people present.

Knee joint camp - 1 and 1/2 hr., just me.  The nurse, PT guy, anesthesiologist, pharmacist,  breathing person all came to me one at a time to go over procedure.  Idid pre-op tests yesterday.

The anethesiologist wants to compare my EKG from last one.  All bloodwork and chest x-ray are good.

If for some reason they cancel this over EKG it won't get done.  I am resigned it has to be done, went thru all pre-op stuff.  If it gets cancelled it's not getting done.  I am not starting from stratch.

Keeping fingers crossed.  Oh, I guess if surgery goes well I get sprung the next day. I figured it would be 2 or 3 days.  Next day works for me.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Well, this joint camp was different.

With me it was the opposite.  I never went to the pre-op class for my hip in 2017 because it was in the nature of an "emergency" surgery and didn't have time (or wherewithall) to participate in any classes.  All pre-op testing done through my PCP (both times).

This time with the knee, went to class (same hospital, only does orthpedic surgery) and there were over 40 PEOPLE there!!

All the principles presented and each gave out his/her card and discussed what they do.  I called several, including dietician, because I only eat organic food and wanted to know if they could accommodate me.  THEY DID!!  Last time with the hip, I stayed silent and simply didn't eat the food (ate very little) and lost 4 lbs (that was not desired) by the time I went home.

Best of luck with the EKG.  I'll be thinking of you! 

Super Contributor

If you are going to a smaller hospital, I would check their morbidity rate.  Smaller hospitals usually have more problems.

Trusted Contributor

Good Luck @CrazyKittyLvr2 

I'm paying special attention to your story since my first TKR is in December.

My camp is 12/11, if I remember correctly.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

@JesssMe  I had a choice of a larger hospital or smaller one.

Guesss I should be glad now that I chose the larger.

Esteemed Contributor

The Dr. who did my hip surgery is doing my knee. He has no personality but he's a good surgeon.

The hospital I am going to was where both my kids were born, my husband was there the night he had his heart attack.  He was transferred to a larger hospital the next day.  I've had surgery there.  My son had major surgery there in 2015.  He was in 2 weeks.

We all got very good care.

Super Contributor

With all the TKR going on, thought I would let you all know that I purchased the Cubii from QVC for extra at home help in mobility after my surgery.  It has been wonderful, helps with stiffness alot and keeps your new knee moving.  I still use it everyday and probably will continue to use it forever.  Item # 13303  Price right now is $ 189.96.  ( usually it is 199.96).  Best purchase to help after surgery ever.  It does not replace PT by any means, but it does supplement it.

Honored Contributor

🙏🙏🙏