Esteemed Contributor

Re: Well, this is just ducky, my A1C.

Thanks to all for responding, your help is truly appreciated.  I feel guilty for even complaining about a high A1C considering what some illnesses others have to deal with.

My old body is going to he** in a hand basket as my late Grandmother would say.

BTW, what is a hand basket and what does that mean?  lol

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I take berberine to manage my blood sugar and also my LDL.  It's as effective as metformin for keeping sugar levels steady. My LDL was high at one time and my doc put me on statins then that caused my A1C to go up to pre-diabetic status.Woman Frustrated 

I had enough of that and decided to take control of my own situation. I became more active, gave up some dearly loved foods and finally discovered the benefits of berberine. According to my latest lab test numbers, which are are all normal btw, I'm in good shape. I don't take any Rx meds. I'm 64.

OMG! I just heard about berberine! Ordered some from from Andrew Lessman! He says its good for keeping blood sugar levels down, blood pressure and cholesterol too!!!!! I have all these problems and have been on insulin for 10 years! So far all of Lessman's vitamins I've taken have really helped. So excited to see you're having good results from berberine! I'm 68...you've made my day! NO RX meds!!!!!! This is my goal!!!!!! xoxo

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2---I went to a diabetes class and met with a dietitian and I was given 35 carbs per meal----If you could go to a class, I would, just for some background knowlege. Really and truly--adjusting your diet is not as daunting as it sounds-----but I know you have upcoming surgery--is that right? On you knee I believe--so your plate will be full.I can give you more tips when you are ready--am not an expert by any means but was able to reduce my A1C pretty easily. 

Honored Contributor

I happen to think an A1c in the 6-7 range is perfect for someone in their 60’s.  

It is the range to be monitored, but it is not “bad”.   Please do not spazz over this number, just make little changes and eat smart.   I am also not in favor of any food being considered off limits with diabetes.   

Trusted Contributor

I’m guessing that you are feeling very overwhelmed about now. The best thing you can do is ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist with a background in diabetes — also get a blood sugar meter. You may also have a diabetes outreach group in your area — look on your local hospital’s website for information on one. That would be an excellent source of information to get you started. 

Once you have gained some knowledge on what’s good for you and what may be problematic, it’s not really that difficult. 

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee  I feel so fortunate to read your story today.The exact same thing happened to me. My cholestrol was creeping up so doc put me on statins. I just had my annual exam and blood work. My A1C had rocketed up to 6.4 from 5.7!My glucose went up from 99 to 132.  I had asked her about statins and diabetes since I keep reading articles.She poohed-poohed it and said it was because people taking statins lead unhealthy lifestyles so it's just a natural happening. Okay....

I have to go back in 3 months so I have made more restrictions to my diet and upped my exercise. I will look into berberine and try it. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Estates wrote:

She poohed-poohed it and said it was because people taking statins lead unhealthy lifestyles so it's just a natural happening. Okay....

@Estates 

It's good you've upped your exercise.

As for diet, well....that could still be an issue to keep your 

numbers in undesirable ranges...even with exercise.

But, boy....reading your post makes me upset.

No doctor should ever 'pooh-pooh' T2D/heart disease.

And NO....it's NOT just a natural happening.

It was if they just wanted to shove a pill in your mouth 

to force you to not ask questions.  Criminal.
I would look for another doctor, but I expect a lot so....

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I'm 73 next month.  I cannot begin to tell you how many times over the years Drs have given me prescriptions for medicine, I sometimes get them filled (or they directly call pharmacy); then I read all of the problems they CAN cause and I don't take them.

I think a person needs to be pro-active and very very educated on their body.  Weigh the pros and cons of a med, only you know how  you feel.

One medicine causes problems with something else.

I told you guys that 2 Drs prescribed Cymbalta for me.  I did get it filled, took one pill and got sick as a dog.

I went back to one of the Drs and told her I got very, very sick with one pill.  She said, "You must be 'allergic' to them."  

Then she said, "You know I also prescribe pain medication and I can tell you without a doubt I've had more trouble getting people off of Cymbalta than any pain medication I've prescribed!"

I'm like, "What the heck?"  So, long story short, I never took another one.

I have a huge bag of pills I've gotten filled and never taken.  Every now and then I'll take some into my Dr and have HER dispose of them.  Otherwise, they're kept in a safe.

I keep saying I'm going to list all of them but (like so much with me) I put off making the list.

Again, everyone should always listen to their Dr, but I honestly think one needs to weigh the pros and cons.

Here's another little story.  My Dr wanted me to take a medicine.  The original is very expensive but now there is a generic.  I asked the Dr, "What are the problems with this?  There's always a problem".  He said, "Well, with the generic some people have a cough all of the time".  I said, "What kind of cough?  A cough like a smoker's cough"?  He said, "Yes, but it's just with the generic one". 

I said, "Well, I'm not taking a generic one then.  My insurance did not cover the cost of the original drug.  I was willing to pay for it, but I couldn't even get it through my insurance company. 

My Dr gave me the original one.  They were his samples".  I'd go to his office and the nurses would give me all of these little bottles with 8 and 10 pills in each one (a month's worth).

I don't mind paying for a regular drug (whatever it's called).  But often it's difficult to even get it.

If you read about generic it doesn't have to be and isn't usually exactly the same as the original drug.  There are always variances.  They're allowed to sell it because it does the same thing (sometimes with a few more problems, but it does the same thing).

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/03/generic-drugs-the-same-but-not/388592/

My cardiologist told me he never takes generic drugs.  My arthritis Dr said she never takes generic drugs.

We, as a society have no choice.  Dr's have the abilit to get the real drugs as long as they're offered.  We, the public don't.

I can't imagine how many pills I'd be taking to counter the other pills that were prescribed.

I once read about a woman who got all of her Mother's Drs together and they talked about how to make her mother well.

That's the way it was done a long time ago.  I know many of you remember when a Dr used to come to people's houses.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I meant to add that I especially enjoy reading your posts.

Your posts show that you are an intelligent, thoughtful person who doesn't just jump on a bandwagon.

I admire and respect your responses.  I understand that you are a person who investigates and your final decision is based on what you've discovered in your investigation.

My post wasn't in any way directed toward you as I know that whatever you do will be the right thing for you.

I also know that there are people (not necessarily here) but those who if a Dr says 'do it', they immediately 'do it'.

It's not always the best choice.  My friend who recently died.  His wife was always telling me a Dr told him he needs this drug and/or that drug and this or that operation.

So many times during a hospital stay, she'd come into the room and (several times) actually found him unconscious because he was overly sedated.

It's not an exaggeration to say she saved his life on more than one occasion.

Years back my general practitioner told me it's often a matter of trial and error (making a person well).

One of my favorite (?) commercials is when they say, "If you are allergic or have problems with this drug....do not take it".  DUH?  WHAT THE HAY?  Ha!

Esteemed Contributor

@Estates wrote:

@SilleeMee  I feel so fortunate to read your story today.The exact same thing happened to me. My cholestrol was creeping up so doc put me on statins. I just had my annual exam and blood work. My A1C had rocketed up to 6.4 from 5.7!My glucose went up from 99 to 132.  I had asked her about statins and diabetes since I keep reading articles.She poohed-poohed it and said it was because people taking statins lead unhealthy lifestyles so it's just a natural happening. Okay....

I have to go back in 3 months so I have made more restrictions to my diet and upped my exercise. I will look into berberine and try it. Thanks!

@Estates  Did your treating doctor recommend you see a cardiologist?