Esteemed Contributor

Re: Well, this is just ducky, my A1C.

@Trinity11  I just became aware of this yesterday.  I have no clue how many carbs I'm allowed.

What I know about diabetes is because of my sister having Type 2 for over 35 yrs.

I have been looking at recipes on the internet as well as the do's and don'ts of eating.

I know sweets, processed foods, white bread/white sugar, some starchy veggies are a no no.

I guess my beloved post Thanksgiving turkey sandwich on white bread w/lettuce and Hellmans will need to be revamped. lol

QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Trinity11  I just became aware of this yesterday.  I have no clue how many carbs I'm allowed.

What I know about diabetes is because of my sister having Type 2 for over 35 yrs.

I have been looking at recipes on the internet as well as the do's and don'ts of eating.

I know sweets, processed foods, white bread/white sugar, some starchy veggies are a no no.

I guess my beloved post Thanksgiving turkey sandwich on white bread w/lettuce and Hellmans will need to be revamped. lol

No, if you are medicated properly, you should be able to eat that sandwich @CrazyKittyLvr2 . As long as you aren't eating them daily, turkey and bread aren't the worst thing you can splurge on. Just avoid the pies. LOL

Purchase a glucometer and test your blood sugar before eating it and after. You probably would be best seeing a diabetes educator as well. Just make sure not to feel too overwhelmed. Your A1C is still border-line...

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Saw PA at my PCP office yesterday for something not knee surgery related.  They have cleared me for my surgery 11/20.  He said my A1C was up, however my blood sugar was normal. I know A1C covers a longer time frame than blood sugar.

The upshot is that I need to revamp my life style and exercise once my knee works right to avoid needing insulin in the future.  He said I am on the borderline. Will be starting Metformin the day I get home from surgery. I don't want to risk going into surgery if I have side effects.

My Dad and his Mom were borderline and just watched their diet. My sister was diagnosed at 30,(she's now 66).  Her 2 daughters are both disbetic. Sis's DH is also.

I don't mind the no sugar/sweets thing.  No bread sux.  I guess the dozens of cookbooks I have are useless now.

Birth to 66 years old, no health issues. Last 3 years, hip, knee, high blood pressure, small stroke and now this.  Poke a fork in me I'm done.

OK I'm done venting.

Do you feel it would be better to postpone the surgery?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I take berberine to manage my blood sugar and also my LDL.  It's as effective as metformin for keeping sugar levels steady. My LDL was high at one time and my doc put me on statins then that caused my A1C to go up to pre-diabetic status.Woman Frustrated 

I had enough of that and decided to take control of my own situation. I became more active, gave up some dearly loved foods and finally discovered the benefits of berberine. According to my latest lab test numbers, which are are all normal btw, I'm in good shape. I don't take any Rx meds. I'm 64.

@SilleeMee 

Exactly what I have been reading. My BP was high so the doctor wanted to put me on meds. I told her No. I started using Life-Flo magnesium oil spray after reading it was good for muscle spasms. It took care of my BP too so that was a plus.

While reading I found that once you start taking BP meds you would end up on Statins next with diabetes meds coming after that???

I tried Berberine to see if it would keep my numbers in check but I started throwing up yellow liquid? I may give it a try again to see what happens. I'm just going to have to watch what I eat & keep exercising. I don't want to be diabetic. DH's numbers have also gone up. I told him he's going to have to watch his drinking unless he wants to be diabetic.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Ironically, I was just reading the AARP Magazine for Oct/Nov and giggled at a family doctor's comment in, 'The Mail.'

He's obviously tired of the concept of preconditions and mentions prediabetes. He says that if there is 'pre-diabetes, then there must be a pre-pre-diabetes.'  Ending with: "Shouild we worry about that also?' Sorry, stopping to laugh again.

I personally toted off a script for Metformin back in 2009 for borderline diabetes. I ran an A1c of 5.8 to 5.9 for years.  The thing was, my 106 lb healy diet mom, had the same value and it remained unchanged for twenty years.  Her pre, never became an issue for her, making it to almost 97.  I opted to never fill the Metformin script.  

With my A1c, it has fluctuated from 5.4 to 5.7 in the last couple of years, after losing 20 lbs and reaching ideal weight.  I have always enjoyed a healthy diet, but have not denied myself treats.  This includes healthy carbs and even an occasional glass of souhern style sweet tea on a hot summer's day.  With a balance, I've noticed very little in glucose fluctuations.

I had an episode of irregular heartbeat in 2018, ending up in the ER.  They asked me about diabetes.  I mentioned the 'pre' situation.  Not long afterwards, the nurse entered and said, "You're no longer 'pre' you're a diabetic.  Your BS is over 200." She sounded like was scolding me.   I simply said I was NOT.  An RN friend was with me and she said, NO, too.  They were all hyped up about it and ordered insulin as needed, while admitting me for overnight monitoring.

Long story short, my heart was okay.  It was runs of PVCs. They ordered an A1c while there, and, sure enough, it was 5.4.  NOT pre, anything, as I had predicted.

Many things can affect your blood sugar levels.  You've been under a lot of stress and pain.  Both can cause elevated blood sugars.  Once you get everything settled, with just a few diet changes, you may find improvement with your sugars.  Respect the 'pre' concerns, but don't be alarmed.  

If you don't have one, you might want to pick up a glucose monitor and do some food journaling to see how you react to certain foods and any diet changes you adopt.

Good luck to you and wishing you a future of good health.  You'll do great.  

Valued Contributor

Mine was about where yours was. It scared me. I lost 30 lbs., and I exercised. It went down to the normal range. I would not take the meds. Yikes.....it's not that bad. You can fix it with some work.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz  I was surprised that my cholestrol is good.  When he told me I just stared at him and asked, are you sure?.  He said yes it's good.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  I do not want to postpone surgery. I was cleared by my PCP's office and the surgeon got the same test results, he is fine proceeding too.

As much as I dread surgery, and the 2 weeks after are going to be especially uncomfortable, if I don't do it now, it's never.

Honored Contributor

Being stressed and in pain could increase your blood sugars, @CrazyKittyLvr2.  You will probably have increased numbers after the surgery and anesthesia.  You might watch the obvious carbs and starchy vegetables.  

Again, good luck with the surgery!