Esteemed Contributor

Well, this is just ducky, my A1C.

Saw PA at my PCP office yesterday for something not knee surgery related.  They have cleared me for my surgery 11/20.  He said my A1C was up, however my blood sugar was normal. I know A1C covers a longer time frame than blood sugar.

The upshot is that I need to revamp my life style and exercise once my knee works right to avoid needing insulin in the future.  He said I am on the borderline. Will be starting Metformin the day I get home from surgery. I don't want to risk going into surgery if I have side effects.

My Dad and his Mom were borderline and just watched their diet. My sister was diagnosed at 30,(she's now 66).  Her 2 daughters are both disbetic. Sis's DH is also.

I don't mind the no sugar/sweets thing.  No bread sux.  I guess the dozens of cookbooks I have are useless now.

Birth to 66 years old, no health issues. Last 3 years, hip, knee, high blood pressure, small stroke and now this.  Poke a fork in me I'm done.

OK I'm done venting.

Honored Contributor

Re: Well, this is just ducky, my A1C.

@CrazyKittyLvr2-----you don't say how elevated your A1C is--is it in the high teens or 20's or just at the 6-7 range. My question is this---do you really need Metformin yet or can you work on your diet and exercise for 3 months. i had the same issues--- was 6.1 or something--- so borderline as well ,but i asked to wait 3 months, do the diet thing and get moving more then get re tested and I got a 5.6 A1C by then. I just am not one to take meds if I can do this on my own---just a thought.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Please, please, please read the works of Dr. Neal Barnard!

Once you're on drugs, it's an ugly merry-go-round.

Just do it right the first time.

It can be caught before dangerous drugs are needed

and can be reversed naturally with just diet alone. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl  6/7 range.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2---just like mine------drs are so quick to give out meds when maybe there are other things  to do first. the diet thing is the key--I cut out most of my carbs and watched my portions---I am a carb girl--love the pasta, rice, spuds, bread. sweets and you can still have those things only in very small amounts--I increased the veggies and protein and it wasn't awful. Lost about 10 pounds too. JMO, of course

Trusted Contributor

Ask your provider to refer you to a Registered Dietician for a consult. My dear friend found this to be invaluable since her diagnosis 15 years ago. She takes an oral anti-diabetic med, watches her diet, exercises lightly, and has quarterly follow ups.

You didn't request advice nor did you state your A1C value, but I wouldn't go on meds until the value is over 6.0, but that is just me. I'm at 5.1 so I'm happy, since I'm being more cognizant of what I eat these days. Intermittent fasting is working for me, too. I am slowly shedding #s, but still satisfied with my meals.

Believe me, this is something I thought I would never have to do, then life happens.

I feel your pain, @CrazyKittyLvr2 .

Listen to your Provider as you prepare to have TKA, then prepare to get back up on your feet, raring to go! You will feel so much better knee wise so will probably feel like being more active.

Up and at 'em as my dear mom used to say.

Best wishes and keep us posted.

dee

Respected Contributor

One of the items I switched to is sprouted grain bread and sprouted wheat flour when cooking. Both are more expensive, but I really like the taste of the bread. Or thin sliced rye. 

I've been making Healthy Applesauce Oat Muffins from Mel's kitchen cafe and substituting brown sugar splenda for the sugar

Good luck w/the surgery. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take berberine to manage my blood sugar and also my LDL.  It's as effective as metformin for keeping sugar levels steady. My LDL was high at one time and my doc put me on statins then that caused my A1C to go up to pre-diabetic status.Woman Frustrated 

I had enough of that and decided to take control of my own situation. I became more active, gave up some dearly loved foods and finally discovered the benefits of berberine. According to my latest lab test numbers, which are are all normal btw, I'm in good shape. I don't take any Rx meds. I'm 64.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Saw PA at my PCP office yesterday for something not knee surgery related.  They have cleared me for my surgery 11/20.  He said my A1C was up, however my blood sugar was normal. I know A1C covers a longer time frame than blood sugar.

The upshot is that I need to revamp my life style and exercise once my knee works right to avoid needing insulin in the future.  He said I am on the borderline. Will be starting Metformin the day I get home from surgery. I don't want to risk going into surgery if I have side effects.

My Dad and his Mom were borderline and just watched their diet. My sister was diagnosed at 30,(she's now 66).  Her 2 daughters are both disbetic. Sis's DH is also.

I don't mind the no sugar/sweets thing.  No bread sux.  I guess the dozens of cookbooks I have are useless now.

Birth to 66 years old, no health issues. Last 3 years, hip, knee, high blood pressure, small stroke and now this.  Poke a fork in me I'm done.

OK I'm done venting.

I have been a Type 1 diabetic for nearly 50 years @CrazyKittyLvr2 and have never heard that anyone must give up bread that is diabetic. You can work it into a healthy diet and that includes pasta too. How many carb grams do you allow yourself per meal? You can even purchase bread with lesser carbs. I have delicious rye bread I eat that has 16grams per sandwich. A cup of pasta combined with vegetables usually works well for most diabetics.

For the most part diabetics should eat a well balanced diet without needing to give up entire food groups.

Honored Contributor

You didn't say what your A1C is but don't assume that you can't turn things around or that you will need to be on Metformin for a long time.  I'd been sedantary for well over a year before my TKR, I had back pain too and I'd gained 20lbs so my A1C was borderline.  My doc prescribed Metformin and I started a low carb diet.  But more importantly, after my TKR with all that PT and later with all the walking I did, I lost the 20lbs and then some and that got my A1C down to normal levels.  Where it remains.  I was only on the Metformin for 6 or 7 months.  Venting is good but don't get down yourself.  One thing at a time.  And that's the knee.