Honored Contributor

Re: Well, now looking into Mediterranean way of eating

@JeanLouiseFinch We've done what you are doing for years, but more seriously this last year and both have lost weight because we don't feel compelled to snack and we don't eat out.

Lower carb, whole grain, lots of fish and chicken and ground turkey, lots of veggies, greens and salads, some fruits, and dairy products.  Salads, grain salads too, beans once or twice a week.  Things like that.  Easy, and pretty pantry friendly.  

We steam, roast, and grill and do sweet potatoes in the instant pot--several to last for a few days.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch We've done what you are doing for years, but more seriously this last year and both have lost weight because we don't feel compelled to snack and we don't eat out.

Lower carb, whole grain, lots of fish and chicken and ground turkey, lots of veggies, greens and salads, some fruits, and dairy products.  Salads, grain salads too, beans once or twice a week.  Things like that.  Easy, and pretty pantry friendly.  

We steam, roast, and grill and do sweet potatoes in the instant pot--several to last for a few days.

@Sooner  Easy and pantry friendly indeed.  We don't do grains, starchy or root veggies, but we still have variety in our diet.  We have found this to be a very enjoyable way to eat and I can be as creative as I want with real food, no manufactured fake food or highly refined GMO ingredients.  

I also live on an Intermittent Fasting schedule of 22:2 so my appetite has acclimated.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all so much.  So many have already walked the path before me.  Thank goodness!!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl    Thanks so much for the reply.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal You need olive oil for the Mediterranean Diet. You can put some on your veggies. You need beans and pulses. Fish. 

Respected Contributor

I found Canadian bacon really adds some flavor to brussel sprouts. I dice it and sprinkle it on the baking sheet with the brussel sprouts and a drizzle of olive oil over the whole pan...lots of pepper and a little salt....DH can't get enough of it!  To my total amazement, I bought some Impossible Burgers....and DH loves them! He says they are better than beef hamburgers. I would sear them in a skillet til done and then put on plate with all the fixins...but skip the bun. Only problem is now I can't  find the bag of Impossible Burgers anywhere anymore; just the meat sold in a package like hamburger. Way too expensive to spend $10 to make one pattie. Will regroup. 

I make big salads and that is dinner in this horrible heat. Don't even want to think about making anything hot.  We like the multi-colored carrots roasted in a sheet pan. Costco sells cauliflower rice with a ginger sauce on it....DH loves it but it is too expensive since he eats a whole bag....I find their larger bags of plain cauliflower rice is good with powdered ginger mixed in before I cook it. You may want to try stir frying....I can take whatever fresh veggies I have left in the fridge and put them altogether in a skillet or wok and they are great. We don't use soy sauce....far too much sodium. We use coconut aminos....better for you than soy sauce...and tastes much better. Far less sodium....try it and it will change your life!

Respected Contributor

My dr said to use meat as the garnish for meals....I have always remembered that and it helps me when making meals...I do usually put some turkey or chicken on top of our salads if we are having them as our meal.  I add a bit of shredded cheese, some walnuts, and a boiled egg that i  make in the morning when making breakfast. Dr said meat is fine....but chicken and fish are better...and none of them need to be the biggest thing on the plate. Lately I have been making what DH calls his "dessert salad" after his plant-based burger.  it is fresh baby spinach, crumbled goat cheese, pecans, blueberries, strawberries, and whatever other berry looks good at the store...sometimes I will add a mandarin orange that i section. I drizzle basalmici vinagrette on it. I also buy the bag of mini sweet peppers. You can roast them or use in salads.

Respected Contributor

I found roasting slices of eggplant with some mozzarella on top is delicious, you can add a slice of tomato first if you like. Like said earlier, make sure to pat dry the eggplant slices first, or you can sub zuchini

Honored Contributor

Never met a veggie I didn't like.  First meal around noon is a large salad with lots of veggies.  We have been doing this long before IF became a trend.   Yes, we are "on" veggies.🥦🥬 🫑

We are a happy healthy plant based family. Wishing you much success on your new journey. 😉

@qualitygal wrote:

How are you on Veg's? 

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23   Costco sells the Coconut Aminos at around 1/4th the cost in the grocery store.