Honored Contributor

Re: Well, I set up my TKR surgery yesterday, yuck!!

In every professiona we find all kinds.  EVERY surgeon, thank heavens, is not money-grubbin and inconsiderate.    I get being beyond frustrated with some of them but as soon as I see all, I feel as if I'm hearing the frustration more than the reality.

I have a surgeon to thank for changing my life -   and all by recommending that I NOT have surgery a few years ago.  That visit cost me a $20 co-pay and gave me a whole new outlook on life.  I can now walk a mile a day instead of 200 steps,  can wear a size 8 or 10 instead of a 1X, and will probably live a few extra years in comfort -  all because of a surgeon who was not knife-happy.

I do see him once a year for progress checks, but if I have to wait, I know someone else is getting a chance to have a life improved. Love that surgeon!

Respected Contributor

Sorry you feel this way about all the MD's. As others have said, MD's come in many 'flavors'. Find one you respect. Your attitude will affect your health & relationship with your MD. 

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I hope your surgery goes well and you can report back to the forums with good news.  Health care is a tough profession.  It's difficult to overlook the office chaos but most important that you have a skilled surgeon. 

I'm in the Charlotte NC area and my appointment for my surgeon is in November. I made it a few weeks ago. We live about 40-50 minutes outside the city and I know it would be more "convenient" to see somebody closer, but this is who my health care provider recommended. 

Esteemed Contributor

Like I've stated this guy is skilled as far as a surgeon.  My new hip is fine and I am happy with it.  I am not going to spend weeks or months trying to find a new Dr.  I've scheduled the surgery, will do the stupid rehab, I have no choice but to do it.  Once it's done and I am mobile I won't have to deal with it anymore.

And no, I have never been mistaken for Mary Sunshine or Perky Patti.  I'm ok with that.

Respected Contributor

I really liked my Internist of almost 10yrs but I just couldn't handle the crazy wait times!  He wasn't over booked ever at all...he just always began his day 2hrs behind!  I would get the 1st appt of the day....8:30am and he wouldn't begin until 10am or later!!  If I had a 9am or 9:30am appt I would have to sit in the lobby waiting more then 2hrs...once it was 3 1/2hrs...just to get called back to the room!  

They even posted a sign on the check in window....saying Due to the LONG Wait time for Dr. M....please let the receptionist know if you need a cup urine sample during check in.  

I just couldn't take it anymore...so I tried a new place in May and didn't like them much...so moved on for my 6 month check up with a new Doctor much closer to my home...and he has been really awesome so far.  He has a sign in his check area that states....If You are more then 15mins late for your appt they may have to reschedule you!  He spent about 20mins with me as a new patient...and 2 days later I had that UTI start so called right when they opened and they said come up and leave a sample...they checked it and gave me script for antibiotic.  I could have NEVER done that with old doctor...I would have had to go to a walk in clinic when a sudden issue came up.

I truly think the doctors habits are at play here.  As long as this new doctor who's been in practice for 8yrs now works out I am feeling lucky to have found him right up the street from me (10min or less drive).

I hope all goes really well for you....and your recovery also...you do sound like you have trust in this surgeons skills and that's really important.

Regular Contributor

We see what we want to see. That's how life is. A reflection of our thoughts.  Only hope your MD doesn't see as you do.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops   I'm getting from your post that your surgeon advised you to lose weight, which you apparently were able to do, with a positive outcome for you.  I applaud you for taking your life into your own hands.  Sometimes we are our own best physicians.

I've been a jogger for 35 years.  About 20 years ago I started having some bad problems with my right knee.  I did a lot of research and found some things about my running style and shoes that need fixing.  I also learned how to strengthen the muscles around my knees in the gym.  At 71, I still enjoy jogging (not as fast as I used to be), working out at the gym, and riding my bike.  I've also kept off the weight because of the exercise and healthy eating.  I hope I can continue like this for a very long time.....I want to be in control of my own body and my life!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dislike doctors' offices as much as anyone, but if I had a doctor who was going to give me things I need to live better I wouldn't keep trashing him/her.

An ENT saved me over a decade ago by doing a surgery that I needed to be able to breathe.  I owe him my life.  

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Please remember that you're going into this with a poor attitude, which is difficult on you mentally and physically.  It will be reflected in your vitals and while you're a patient in the hospital.

If there is ANY possibility of changing surgeons, you should look into that NOW.

At present, all of the wrong hormones and chemicals are being released into your system, which is and will be counter productive to being in fine shape for surgery and healing.

Honored Contributor

@dex 

I'm not in a lot of pain with this right knee.  I get twinges of pain and at at night if I sleep with my leg out straight, it will be sore and stiff in the morning until I walk.  Nothing like the suffering I had with the left knee.  So, I can wait a year.   It's a timing thing for me.  I don't want to have the surgery in the winter because I want to be able to do lots of walking outside post surgery,  I don't want it done in the summer because I don't want to lose my summer.  So....it's next Fall.