Respected Contributor

Re: Well I got my lab results back today...

On 2/21/2015 sidsmom said:

Thanks for posting about non-dairy sources of calcium.

Milk is a lazy go-to for calcium needs, but many plant-based doctors are saying Dairy can actually CAUSE osteoporosis. Too much acid...and to neutralize that acid, minerals are leeched from your bones. Ironic.

You're welcome sidsmom,

Too much of anything can cause some problems, so best to use in moderation and according to physician recommendations too after he has viewed your personal blood work results.

Honored Contributor

On 2/21/2015 adoreqvc said:

Milk is a lazy go-to for calcium needs, but many plant-based doctors are saying Dairy can actually CAUSE osteoporosis. Too much acid...and to neutralize that acid, minerals are leeched from your bones. Ironic.

You're welcome sidsmom,

Too much of anything can cause some problems, so best to use in moderation and according to physician recommendations too after he has viewed your personal blood work results.

You're right. Unfortunately physicians don't have nutritional education, so greater than zero chance they won't recommend eating non-Dairy items for calcium needs...the Dairy Council has very deep pockets & an amazing marketing spiel.

And doctors not recommending Fosamax? Never. Not prescribing those pills takes $$$ out of their pocket. There's no monetary incentive to say "eat more greens". Sad.

Respected Contributor

On 2/21/2015 adoreqvc said:

You're welcome sidsmom,

You're right. Unfortunately physicians don't have nutritional education, so greater than zero chance they won't recommend eating non-Dairy items for calcium needs...the Dairy Council has very deep pockets & an amazing marketing spiel.

And doctors not recommending Fosamax? Never. Not prescribing those pills takes $$$ out of their pocket. There's no monetary incentive to say "eat more greens". Sad.

ITA!