Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

The link below supposedly can tell you who has the vaccine in your area.

https://www.zostavax.com/where-to-get-shingles-vaccine/

@Laura14

Thank you for this very useful information!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny- I have never heard it is rare to get shingles more than once. I know many people who have gotten them several times including my DH who has already had them twice.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Nightowlz  I am so sorry for your and your sisters' experience. I am lucky I guess.  I first got shingles at 29 on my left breast.  No pain, just terrible itch and I just scratched away.  When I finally got into my PCP,  he took one look at me and literally said "OMG".  I did have some nerve pain after that which bothered me for a few years and a scar from all the scratching as a reminder.

Even now the only pain comes from contact to the rash area, ie bra.  I can cover that and have been applying benedryl for the itch which comes and goes.

@Allegheny

Is this the 2nd time you have had Shingles? I'm glad I did not have the itching or sores but that may have been better than the exrutitating pain I was in. My ribs felt like they were broken. I told the doctor I felt like someone beat me, broke my ribs, set them on fire & put them back inside.

I just thought everyone had pain, sores & itching. Guess it's different for all of us. 

That's where I was confused with the rash/pain. I thought the pain came from the rash but I did not have much of it at all. I have never had such pain in my life.

Hope your case goes away quickly. 

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Jordan2   Thank you for the kind thoughts.  It really isn't bad, though I feel a little fatigued. I was just surprised.   To boot I was just at the dermatologist 4-5 days previous.  

DH & I are suppose to be able to get the vaccine thru the Minute Clinic at CVS (paid by our supplemental insurance) but when we went there last month, their staff gave us grief.  So after a conversation with the National Minute Clinic who verified our supplemental is to be billed we are going to try again.  I just have to clear with my PCP when it is OK to get it after the current outbreak.

@Allegheny, I got the first vaccine at CVS, then had a problem getting the second part from them, I ended up going to Walgreens to get it ( if you go elsewhere make sure you bring proof you had the first vaccine or they can call the pharmacy, they won't take your word for it). I was told by my insurance company to make sure I didn't go to a CVS Minute Clinic because I wouldn't be covered, it had to be a pharmacy.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz  Just in doing some reading (I am no professional), there are internal or systemic shingles.  So you didn't get the rash.  How did your physician diagnosis them?

Respected Contributor

@riley1  Just from reading and talks with my physician.  I can't quote the exact web site off the top of my head, but could look it up if you want me to.  I am guessing people who may have compromised immune systems or other health issues would be more susceptible to recurrence.  I know more frequently I am hearing of people who get repeated occurances of shingles.

In my case there was almost a 40 year time span from my first episode and now and I didn't get the vaccine until 10 years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Laura14  Do you know if this list is kept up to date?  I counted over 40 pharmacies in my immediate suburban area that supposedly have the shot.  How can that be when so many posters are saying that they can't find it at all because of a shortage?  I wonder if the list is of pharmacies that originally HAD the vaccine but now no longer have any?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Re: Well I got Shingles

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny  So sorry for you.  I hope you don't have a bad case.  I had the shot 2 weeks ago (1st one) and I will need to go back.  My Aunt had Shingles and evidentally she did not have a bad case and her dr. gave her an antibiotic.  I was finally able to receive this shot but not the first one that came out because it was a live virus and I inject Enbrel.  Take care and feel better.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Laura14  Do you know if this list is kept up to date?  I counted over 40 pharmacies in my immediate suburban area that supposedly have the shot.  How can that be when so many posters are saying that they can't find it at all because of a shortage?  I wonder if the list is of pharmacies that originally HAD the vaccine but now no longer have any?

@shoesnbags. I would say the list is not up to date. My two nearest CVS pharmacies are on it and they don't have it in stock. I'm on the list to get it when it comes in.  I checked with them again, last week when getting my flu shot, and my name remains on "the list". They didn't know when they'd have more of the vaccine in stock again, but when they get it, the customers who received the first dose will be the priority.  I understand this. 

The fact remains.....there is a shortage and if you haven't gotten the first shot, you'll need to be patient and wait for a new supply to be available 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @september. I had a feeling that was the case. I don't mind waiting till the shortage has passed, since I generally don't like to be one of the earlier users of a vaccine.   I'd rather wait till it's been out for a while. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett