Honored Contributor

Re: Welcome to the August Exercise Thread

I graduated PT today.  No more money going out the door for that.  Woo hoo!

@DrKelli  Enjoy your mom's visit and take some time off.  Enjoy your Mom and take it easy activity wise.  You sure earned it based on what I read.

@nomless  We are still awaiting our time.  I am at 98% too so I'm interested to see what this is all about.  I won two sets of eclipse glasses at the gym so I guess I'm ready for whatever is about to happen to us.

@bopper  Hope you guys are doing well with the recovery.  Heart

Respected Contributor

During the eclipse, we got cloud cover which reduced the effect.😞  No eclipse shadows on the pavement. I was sad about that. It didn't get nearly as dark as I expected given that we had 98.5% coverage, but I enjoyed experiencing the weird quality of light. And the silence because all the birds and other wildlife disappeared. 

Now, the sky is cloudless again, just like before the eclipse. Grrr... Oh, well, it was still cool. And literally cool....the temp dropped quit a lot and very quickly. 

Yay that you're done with PT, Laura. Still, treat that wrist with care for awhile.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

nomless...I laughed about Mmsfoxxie saying she swore off Tilapia but couldn't remember why either, lol!  Yes, the farm-raised is not good. I didn't eat Tilapia either when I could eat fish. 

Laura...Yay!  Congrats on the Gradgeeation, hope your wrist is better than ever and your bank-account is able to regain its hit. 

Mmsfoxxie...no one is never going to have a day off from eating good/bad food.  And one shouldn't...life is too short. Even the leanest people I know have occasional treats, I used to have one day a week and I was 12% body-fat. As with anything else, there's a healthy balance.  And loss is loss...better than gaining! 

Speaking of loss, I lost almost 1-inch last week at the Barre!  Did a lot of hiking miles too, but we always do that. We did it 3 different times too as I didn't believe it.  There was a new lady at Barre yesterday...the instructor was showing her what to grab and went to hand her the lighter weights..the lady said, "I work-out a lot, I need the heavier weights"...well, I saw her drop the heavier weights on the floor about 5-minutes into class and she was shaking. 

I met a new lady, they summer here but live in Rehoboth Beach DE the rest of the year.  She takes a knock-off Barre there but said it isn't the same...but better than nothing.  She said she hated this at first and wasn't going to come back but is so glad she did, she was working out 7 days a week with no results...until Barre. I hope I can say the same thing some day. I'm surprised how many women I've met there that summer here and winter some place else. 

I went to Pilates right after Barre.  I'm doing the Bodhi Suspension System...has anyone here ever done that?  Love it there, love the owner/instructor, we hit it off right off the bat, both felt an instant connection.  She said to take the springs off the reformer and had everyone do this kneel down position with one leg and other leg out to the side with foot on part of reformer that doesn't move...then push out to a side split and pull yourself back...well one lady forgot there wasn't any tension on and went out too far into a split and couldn't get back, she screamed and almost fell off...the instructor flew over and grabbed her, almost falling herself. Everyone got a good laugh from that.

I'm going to head out and jog the hills in a bit...got everyone out the door so need to find my inner peace and regroup..lol.  I need to get to the granite shop today to look at the new granite slabs they got in and see if I like this one(the first one we picked out was already sold and I didn't like any others). Did the big grocery shop yesterday and I'm glad...need a slower-pace day today, it's been a while. 

Hope everyone is having a good week...and Mr. bopper continues to heal.  Oh, nomless...it got cloudy and rainy here right before we were supposed to peak!  But then it did clear up...DH watched it at work with all the scientists...and DS went out with some other doctors and nurses so he got a good picture...and DIL saw it at work with a bunch of people.  It was just me and the dogs here.Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Iluvlucy, you don't know why you're beat?  Look at all you do and what you're going through.  That's a mental as well as a physical beatdown.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@DrKelli, have you tried a good massage for your shoulder?

@nomless, yes I think that's what t was about the tilapia.  I refuse to buy it or order it when going out.  But it sure was good Saturday, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Good morning to everyone.  I had to do individual posts before my greeting because I knew I wasn't going to remember every point I wanted to make, lol.

Thanks for your comment @Laura14 about my WW class.  They have come a long way, imo, about feeling guilty when you don't lose weight every week.   A good therapy session does a body good.

@bopper and everyone else, I hope you're doing well.

One of my instructors will be absent vacationing this week and I normally have him twice on Tuesday.  I hope the sub is good and not over my head.  It's Zumba and Body & Sculpt.  Take care everyone!

Respected Contributor

Good morning, all!

@Mmsfoxxie, I actually had my regular massage session on Friday and it doesn't really help.  It was fine for a few hours and then back to pain.  It's fine first thing in the morning and about an hour after I get up, I get the pain again.  I do have an appointment tomorrow, so hopefully, I can get a cortisone shot and find out what is going on.

Today is my company's annual golf tournament--I don't play so I am holding down the fort.  I figure there will only be a few people here this morning and even less after 10.

It is small group training today--no shoulder stuff for me.  I'm getting excited about going to my conference--I'll get to see friends I only see once a year and I will get to see friends I haven't seen for many years! (They live in the NOLA area).

I'll check back in for some individual shout outs later!  Oh, but @nomless, I was glad to see you on the 90 day fiance thread!  I love that show because it is such a trainwreck!

Honored Contributor

I really had a great workout today.  Not sure if it was because of the PT graduation or my happy cream is kicking in or I am just finally learning some mental health techniques or the eclipse.  Whatever it is, I'll take it.  

I did almost all of my normal weights in Power.  Still can't do the bicep curl with my hurt wrist but I managed several until I had to overhand it for the rest of the routine.  

And I was rocking Pound.  I felt like I was doing the movements dead on for the first time.  Woo hoo!

I am also finally seeing some results from my get serious kick I went on the last week of July.  I think my body is finally giving up some the extra weight around the middle.  I have had it since babyhood and I hope it's finally saying goodbye.  

Of course I went and had my first serious cheat day yesterday.  With everything that's happened in the past few days, I had to grab some tortilla chips and dip.  I did walk away from it and kept shopping so I want points for that but I did come back to it and throw it in the cart as my lunch and dinner last night.  The dip was pretty pure but it's still junk so shame on me.  

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Valued Contributor

Laura...while I was out I remembered that I forgot to mention your work situation...so I too get points for remembering, lol!  Anyway, I know that feeling, it's terrible. I worked for a crazy lawyer(would yell and scream and throw things, even hit the Office Manager with a vacuum cleaner once) and would come home a wreck...even if it wasn't towards me, it was still a very tense environment.  My husband finally forced me to quit(he dialed the phone and handed it to me.  If I didn't do it, he was going to, and trust me, no one wants to see that!). 

What a burden was lifted off of my shoulders!  I couldn't believe it.  I hope you can find something else...and soon!  The stress of it all was starting to make me sick, when you get nauseous every Sunday afternoon knowing you have to go to work on Monday, there's a problem.  And I'm a pretty strong person, things don't bother me like they do others.  After I quit, FIVE other women were hired and quit within the first month after I left(I stayed in touch with the other lawyers and the bookkeeper there and they told me)...one only lasted a half a day, punched out for lunch and never came back).  I said 'she was the smart one of the bunch'...lol. 

I had a terrible walk/run but this is already longer than I intended. Can I just say that Fall can't get here soon enough and if we're being invaded by bugs, I will move to Iceland. 

Respected Contributor

@Iluvlucy and @Laura14, I refer to my former job as H*LL and my former boss as Satan.  He was a psychopath.  Both my friend and I worked there--I lasted 17 months and I was looking for a new job after a year.  The final straw was when he told me I didn't have the skills necessary to do my job (I have over 20 years of experience in my field).  He demoted my friend from director to manager while she was out on FMLA, which is illegal and she took him to the labor board and of course, he denied it.  The attorney that represented her would have brought a class action suit against him had a group of us agreed to it.

I would have made a hostile work environment complaint, but my friend was the director of HR and she was experiencing the same thing and our boss, the CEO, couldn't be convinced that he was in the wrong.  I completely understand the stress you are under.  I used to turn my phone off when I left work because I couldn't take being on call (even though we didn't work 24/7) every day and night of the week.  That place almost killed me.