Honored Contributor

Re: Weighted Blanket experience

[ Edited ]

Many people will ask me, ‘what does it feel like?’

and I always compare wearing the X-ray blanket at the Dentist.

It’s weighted but not heavy....very ‘grounding’. 

Only caveat...the actual blanket itself is not washable.

The cover is...but not the 20lb beaded blanket

so be mindful when using it around fluids or food. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  Excellent description! 

And truthful caveat which is why I say no to the current Amazon offer of just the weighted blanket for $80.  Get one with a cover.  It just makes sense.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

What kind of cover did you get?

(sorry if I missed it in previous posts)

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  It was from a company called Softan and it came as a set with a grey microfiber cover I think it is and a weighted sleep mask.  I'll double check when I get home if you really want to know.  It's very soft and sort of like a short fur.    

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom Here you go.  I found a pic of what I got.  They described the cover as a "luxury minky fabric" which is exactly what it feels like.  

Blanket.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

Thanks for circling back! That was really nice.

Yes, mine is a ‘minky’, as well. 

🌼💛

Respected Contributor

I bought a weighted blanket last year when they were still fairly "new" and expensive.  I see them for much more reasonable prices now.  I got the 15 lb. one (I weigh 135 lbs).  Sorry, I can't remember the company I ordered from.  Maybe Weighted Comfort?  Anyway, it's very well made, has a really nice cover.  Unfortunately, the thing is just way, way too hot for me!  It was recommended that I take off the cover, which I did, and it helped only a tiny bit - it's still too hot.  My bedroom was at 66 degrees last night and I woke up sweating under that blanket!  I live alone and I would compare the experience to maybe sleeping snuggled in someone's arms - only someone who doesn't snore, breathe or move, LOL!  It's comforting, but I have to say that it only improves the quality of my sleep a very little bit, not enough to make up for the sweating. 

Respected Contributor

Laura I am very interested in the weighted blanket too, I have anxiety issues and wondered if this really helps.  Thank you for your link!

Respected Contributor

I have read they have a Cool weighted blanket, don't know where I saw it though.  I can't be hot, I'm already at the Hot stage of my life!!  LOL

Honored Contributor

@bopper  I am a cold person at heart so it works for me.  I did get warm last night even with the open windows but I also had sheets and a comforter along with it.  It takes a lot to make me hot.  I'll update again tomorrow after a second night.  I am really looking forward to going to bed again tonight.  LOL