Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Getting back to the reason Points Plus isn't universally successful, I think it has to do with the fact that unlike any other WW program, pretty much 99% of the members start out at the lowest daily points now (is it 27?).

Back in the day, you gradually reduced your points, which meant you gradually changed the way you ate.

For example, in 1999, I got 35 daily points.  As my weight went down, my points went down, about 1 point at a time.  So, at 34 points, I didn't have to change much.  At 30 points, I decided to limit cheese to one meal a day vs 2 or even 3.  At 27 points, I decided to have a 2 less cups of eat every day (at one point per). And so on.

I gradually changed what I ate and made choices based on what I could live with and what I could live without.  I didn't want to give up cheese, but did I really need it 3x a day?  I enjoyed the cheese more knowing it was the only meal I was going to have it.

It was just a better way of losing.  At 27 points, you have to make the hard choices right out of the gate.  There's no easing into it.

The new point number is 37, not 27 (if 27 is what you would have been assigned). When I joined 9 years ago, my daily points were 33; this time it was 45. Fruits are zero (None of my docs agree with that in any way). This is why I pulled out all my old stuff and chose to use it instead. It's working so, no issues.

I don't know why the increased points; no one at WW will tell me.

Honored Contributor

Are you saying, @SahmIam, that the point system has changed?  Oh, boy.  Well, I'll keep doing what I did in the past.  

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Yes, Mmsfoxxie, it has; you receive more points to use on a daily basis, plys the 42 extra a week plus the fitness points plus fruits are 0 points. WAY more points/food to eat then 9 years ago. Don't know when this happened, but I was quite surprised when I joined labor Day. My first though was "how do you lose weight if you're consumeing so many calories?"

Honored Contributor

Wow!  @SahmIam, are the points calculating the same?  I wouldn't be able to lose any weight if my 26 pts went to 30 something.  Is the same calculater used to calculate points?  Thanks.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Re: Weight Watchers

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie No, at least according to the weigh-in folks and my leader. I have and use the points finder that is like a slide ruler and was told "Oh, that can no longer be used!! You MUST use the online calculater ONLY!!"  They don't sell a book with points either; you have to download the WW points app to your phone or do all your lookup online.

Not doing that; I use the slide ruler thingy. Is there a difference? Sadly, yes. Many foods are still the same but many foods are now higher in points under this new system- where fruits are zero points.

Again, I;m sticking with the old system which is working fine for me; I'm averaging 3 pounds a week, so....yeah.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam, I'm talking about a pts calculator about 21/2 gray square.  I think it was introduced in 2012 when I joined.  You input the carb, protein, fat, and fiber content of the food you're eating and you get the points of that food shown on the calculator.  Most veggies and fruits were zero points.

So, I had my 26 points to work with and if I wanted to, I could use my 49 activity points which I usually didn't use.  The slider ruler you're referring to must be older.  So maybe this new thing you're referencing is really what I'm talking about, lol.

Honored Contributor

Lolol!!!  Yes, you have the CORRECT/NEW one that they won't give to me or members that join now. Your ruler is fine for the program now. I joined when it was called Points. You must have joined when it became Points Plus. Your daily point system is the newer one which increased my points so much. Still don't know why they did that.

Honored Contributor

The slide rulers do not work with Points Plus.  Please don't use it.

The only way to get your correct starting points is to go to a meeting and have a staff member calculate it for you or buy a calculator from WW and input the information required.

I just checked my book and when Points Plus started, we got 29 points and then they tweaked it a couple of years later due to problems and we all went to 26 points. 

Most people who join are at 26 points per day.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

VaBelle, I;ve lost 30 pounds since Labor Day so obviously it does, just as it worked for the thousands and thousands of WW members who used it then.

Using the old program is fine.

BTW, the new program ranges from 26 to 69 points per day; the old program topped out at 34 points.

HUGE difference in the calories a person is allowed to consume daily now. Huge. And many at meetings wonder why they're not losing weight....

As long as it works for the person, that's all that matters.

Honored Contributor

I thought you were doing Points Plus with the old slide rule.

If you're doing Momentum or any other previous program, that's fine.  You just can't use the tools from them and do Points Plus.  They don't play together.

Congrats on your success.  Many have gone back to older programs.  There's no law that says you have to do the current one.  You just have to find a different way to track.

I know a woman who still does the exchange program.  It works for her for maintenance.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN