Esteemed Contributor

Re: Weight Watchers..need advice

@SahmIam  There are many old WW programs.  Which one(s) are you handing out?  

I don't care for freestyle much myself.  Three cups of coffee...cream, no sugar...takes a quarter of my daily points.  At that point, with three meals ahead of me I wonder...what's the point? (no pun intended.)

If I was going to live forever, I'd take the time to sit down and calculate the calories of what you listed (chicken breast, watermelon, etc.) and add to that the rest of what someone might reasonably eat in a day and see how the calories add up.  I know the idea behind "free" foods is that they are ones that people won't overeat.  I'm not sure I buy that.

Or is it true that celery is a negative-calorie food?  No.  And who wants naked celery anyway?

I do like WW snack foods.  They've just been redone without artificial things.  And I like knowing that I can have a snack of something sweet for 2 or 3 points.

Now available at amazon, I understand.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda  WW Turnaround. I believe this came out after Points Plus, or maybe before, I really don't remember. On the OLD WW forum (now gone from the WW site), the Points Plus program was decreed as the most successful by those who have been members since the early 2000's. Before I left WW, my weigh-in person (who I've known for 10 years), told me to do that program and just weigh in. I did but in the end, I won't give money to something I don't believe in; so I left and bought a high-quality scale for home use. 

Agree that WW makes some nice 2 point snacks: I miss the Chocolate Mint bars/cookies as they were great with a cup of tea. : )

Honored Contributor

@SahmIamSo glad you found a way to a healthier, more comfortable body!

I'd been a yo-yo dieter for many years before a doctor finally got inside my head just before I turned 75.  Since then, I, too, am down to where I need to be.  I did use WW, but I used the program I was most successful on in 1991 which was long before points began.

My doctor recommended no specific diet.  Portion control and cholesteral control were prime in his mind and each time I've seen him since, that's still his push -  and I still try to eat with that old WW in mind.  So far, so good.  And no idea why going it alone has worked so well for me during these last 3.5 years now.  It never worked for me years back. 

Respected Contributor

You need to make it your own.  White meat poultry is 0 points unlimited, as is most fish.  Pork, steak etc still has points.  Most all vegetables are O also.  BUT, any processed carbs, ya know the good stuff is  pretty high in points and they can rack up pretty easily.  Obviously, you cant eat a pound of chicken at every meal.  Those you have to control yourself.  Losing is slow for most not unusual to lose less than a pound a week after the initial month on the program.  I go for the support at the meetings, its essential. 

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@SahmIam 

WW still advised portion control, you and not eat 1 lb of chicken breasts, 6 peaches and a pound of watermelon every day and expect to lose. My docs love that I am on WW and doing well. To me those that can not succeed on Freestyle are looking for an excuse to fail

@SahmIam wrote:

There are many threads about WW; if you do a search, they should come up. 

In summary, though I lost a large amount of weight (almost 200 pounds)  via WW, I don't support the program as it is now. My core of doctors no longer recommend it to patients. Save your money and do My Fitness Pal for free. If you need the group setting and the commitment of paying money to weigh in so you'll actually follow a plan to lose weight, it can be beneficial but if portion control is a HUGE issue and you NEED that aspect, you won't find it via the current program.

@I am still oxox  That’s a very judgmental statement.  I’m a Lifetimer and I don’t like Freestyle.  There are certain trigger foods that I have no long term control over and I started to regain weight.

I don’t call it an excuse to fail.  Actually, I don’t call it a failure.  It’s a temporary set back.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

I think the point of Freestyle is to stear you towards healthy real food and to get you not to soley focus on calories. I use to stay around 1200-1400 calories and I'm very active but I couldn't lose weight. Signed up for WW just to give it a shot to see if I could get in in check.

The first thing I noticed was that my beloved Lean Cuisine rigatoni was 11 points. Oh boy what a bummer. The thing is like 350 or 380 calories. So sometimes when you're just counting calories it doesn't work.

I mostly tried WW because I was thinking about it and I started the process of signing up which includes giving them your email. Then I bailed out of the website before I finished and they sent me an email offering 3 months for 30 bucks.

Super Contributor

In a nutshell, the new WW program encourages eating whole, fresh foods and lean protein.  You get dinged or spend the points big time if you are eating processed foods. I find  i eat less flour and sugar on the new plan.  The new plan echoes what every eating recommendation says- eat more whole fruits and veggies, stick with leaner protein and cut way down on the processed stuff.  Integrate regular moderate exerise.  

Trusted Contributor

@vagirl wrote:

Any one doing weight watchers? What do you like and not like about the new freestyle?

I like Freestyle just fine. I like that there are more Zero Points foods (beans, peas, corn, fish including salmon, chicken & turkey breast to name a few).

Foods with sugars and saturated fats are very "costly" so it naturally pushes me not to eat them. Vice versa, having Zero Points foods to choose from pushes me to eat more healthy foods.

I've been on WW for many years. I prefer counting points for the energy dense foods, and having the freedom to not worry about every pear or carrot I eat.  I didn't walk through the doors of my first meeting because of eating too many chicken breasts or ears of corn.

Good luck if you decide to try it!

Honored Contributor

A coworker of mine has been having success with Weight Watchers; however, for some strange reason, today she said she is switching to Keto. Go figure! Will talk with her later this week, but when you are having success, why change? A question I will ask her. ha!