Respected Contributor

Re: Weight Watchers magazine is no more

I feel the same about Martha Stewart.

Respected Contributor

WW magazine is just another one that is "biting the dust."  Many years ago I subscribed the the O magazine, but found it didn't have much that interested me.

Many magazines are halting their publications.  About four months ago I started receiving Vogue.  It was sent to me to replace the remaining issues of Glamour.  I was getting weary of Glamour anyway.  Vogue has fashions that are way too expensive and over-the-top for my relaxed lifestyle, but they do have one great article in each issue that has been better than Glamour ever was.

So many magazines are going away.  I still get four monthly publications and enjoy them.  

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Jinlei wrote:

Why does Oprah have to have her hand in everything?  Surprised she has not come out with a clothing line.

Her bestie/girlfriend has now taken over the Channel 2 weekly Morning show. All the other women on the show are now gone from it. Oprah must have quite a bit of clout the way that she manipulates whatever she touches. Got to hand it to her....

I only watch cable news channels, but the changes at CBS were made when Susan Zirinsky became the president of CBS news. The moves stem from fallen ratings, for both morning and evening news shows.  I don't think that Norah O'Donnell anchoring the evening news is considered a demotion. Gayle King has been in the news business for decades...

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

I read today that May was the last issue.  Some people are getting Oprah's magazine to finish out their subscription.  I think someone else said they are getting a fitness magazine.

Another person said the name is changing.

Poor Oprah...I think she's the kiss of death for things she gets involved with.  The movie (not The Color Purple...one she produced or directed or something...Beloved?), and didn't she have something to do with a play that didn't do so well?

She hasn't helped weight watchers much IMO.  She can lose all the money she wants...she has enough.  But the program means more to people than her money means to her.  Again...IMO.

Even though Oprah’s film(s?) did not enjoy blockbuster success, it provided jobs and income for everyone involved in making it. As you said, the program (WW) means more to people than her money means to her. Aren’t these actions of support

the indicator of true success and understanding of what’s really important? I really don’t get the shade Oprah receives for everything she does or is involved with.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

Why does Oprah have to have her hand in everything?  Surprised she has not come out with a clothing line.

@Jinlei  I am not an Oprah fan & wish she would retire .... I am so over seeing people kiss her feet !!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Jinlei wrote:

Her bestie/girlfriend has now taken over the Channel 2 weekly Morning show. All the other women on the show are now gone from it. Oprah must have quite a bit of clout the way that she manipulates whatever she touches. Got to hand it to her....

I only watch cable news channels, but the changes at CBS were made when Susan Zirinsky became the president of CBS news. The moves stem from fallen ratings, for both morning and evening news shows.  I don't think that Norah O'Donnell anchoring the evening news is considered a demotion. Gayle King has been in the news business for decades...

Well, I have watched the morning show for years and Gayle King is a very boisterous, over-bearing individual who drowned everyone out on that show since she arrived. Since the first day she was in takeover mode, drowning out all her co-hosts.

If there were falling ratings, one only needs to look to Gayle for why. Expect to see the ratings drop even further. Oh and of course Oprah was her first guest on Day Number One. What a surprise. LOL

Honored Contributor

Weight Watchers used to be the best healthy eating plan out there and everyone lost weight on it.

Over  the years they have changed it and not for the better.  I earned my lifetime member award in the 1980's.  Their new plans cause me to gain weight.

I don't think it is a very effectiveness plan for a lot of people.  Most of the info that was in the magazines, like recipes can now be found online, so no need to pay extra.

And, speaking of cost...wow, has the cost of WW gone up.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

I earned my lifetime member award in the 1980's.  

Their new plans cause me to gain weight.

I kinda/sorta went into hypnosis when I read this.

A lot to unpack.

Let me get this straight.

You’ve been doing the plan, successfully, since the 80s

and we still haven’t learned anything?

Are they placing food in your mouth when you’re not looking?

A ‘plan’ doesn’t make one gain weight. 

Maybe to a newbie, but not someone with 35-40 successful yrs.

It’s just an arbitrary number (points) that is assigned to you.

And if anyone would know how to successfully lose weight

for the long-term, it would be a successful lifetime member, yes?

No one learns anything w/ these diets.

Sounds like it never was the ‘best’ healthy eating plan out there,

then & now. Proof is in the Weight Watcher pudding. 👆

Honored Contributor

Yet another Oprah bashing thread that has nothing to do with "Wellness". 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

Yet another Oprah bashing thread that has nothing to do with "Wellness". 

she attached herself to the WW wellness train, so she is fair game, for criticizm. the loss of the WW magazine, is an acceptable topic, under wellness. This is business for oprah and nothing more.