Respected Contributor

Re: Weight Watchers changing name

I have belonged to WW for 3 years now and love it. The WW program helps me understand my eating patterns, when I go over board and how to get back on track. I attended meetings for over 2 years until this past year when I was attending very sporadically because my 92 year old mother was in the hospital, then rehab in January for pneumonia, then fell 3 times and on the last time June 30th, she broke her back and she had to have surgery and back to rehab for 3 weeks. Now I have her home and I work about 50 hours a week I am her principal caregiver and I am exhausted. so I switched for the time being to WW on-line. I still have the tracker and I can read what the topic of the week is but I really liked the meeting that I attended. I adore the leader and the people at that meeting. Problem is I have to leave my house at 8 AM on Saturdays to get there to weigh in by 8:30 and I can't make it right now. So I will stay in WW, I don't care how they change the program because it has worked for me in more ways than losing weight. Once I can I will go back to meetings but for now on-line is working ok. I am glad on-line is available, otherwise I would have had to drop out. 

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I have belonged to WW for 3 years now and love it. The WW program helps me understand my eating patterns, when I go over board and how to get back on track. I attended meetings for over 2 years until this past year when I was attending very sporadically because my 92 year old mother was in the hospital, then rehab in January for pneumonia, then fell 3 times and on the last time June 30th, she broke her back and she had to have surgery and back to rehab for 3 weeks. Now I have her home and I work about 50 hours a week I am her principal caregiver and I am exhausted. so I switched for the time being to WW on-line. I still have the tracker and I can read what the topic of the week is but I really liked the meeting that I attended. I adore the leader and the people at that meeting. Problem is I have to leave my house at 8 AM on Saturdays to get there to weigh in by 8:30 and I can't make it right now. So I will stay in WW, I don't care how they change the program because it has worked for me in more ways than losing weight. Once I can I will go back to meetings but for now on-line is working ok. I am glad on-line is available, otherwise I would have had to drop out. 

@conlt  So sorry you have so many issues in your life now!  Best wishes to you and you mom. 

Respected Contributor

IMO, changing the name to WW is silly.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But, at least it isn't being named after Oprah and for that, I'm thankful.

Trusted Contributor

I'll keep going to my weekly meeting because it's critical to my maintaining my 40 pound weight loss, and I love my leader and enjoy the group. It's a solid program.

I will not call it "WW" which is stupid, I will not call it Wellness World or whatever now. I refuse to call my Leader a "wellness coach." I think that term suggests the staff has some form of medical training.

The new age stuff doesn't bother me, since I'm a new age girl. But rebranding something and then you go in and it's the same people and the same green chairs and you call it a "studio" as if we're going to be doing yoga now is just silly not cost effective.

Jean Nidetch must be rolling in her grave!

Respected Contributor

I bet most people will still say Weight Watchers.  Years ago they changed the name of a long-standing local mall but people still refer to it by the original name.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner Thank you very much Sooner. I appreciate the good thoughts and well wishes. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@sidsmom

Apparently you know very little about WW, I eat 1200 to 1500 calories a day, and I am healthier that I have been in years, my BP has fone down 30 points. There are no pre packaged foods you might be confusing the plan with jenny craiG 

@sidsmom wrote:

Focus on ‘wellness”?

Uh, no.

All the pre-packaged foods & extreme low calorie plans?

That ain’t ‘wellness.’

Nope.

It’s Weight Watchers.

They have SO many snacky, chippy, sugary candy snacks

(ie pre-packaged foods) on their website & grocery stores. 

I was on WW way back in 2000...and even then they had

stuff you could buy at the meetings. Not healthy fare.

The mental side of the WW program is good, but the

‘exchange’ of points to justify eating unhealthy food is not

a strong long-term strategy. 

Nobody said you have to buy the snacks. We talk about plenty of healthy, natural snack options in my meeting. That stuff is there for people who like the convenience (and can afford it).

I don't buy the snacks; I have lost 40 pounds with WW and I have kept it off for 20 years. I have no issues with blood sugars, cholesterol, blood pressure or heart disease, and I'm convinced it's because I've maintained a healthy weight these past 20 years. 

Trusted Contributor

Do you mean the online program? Yes, they still have it and the ETools for tracking. Also an app for the phone.

They're no doubt having a sale for the online program with the rebranding.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@sidsmom

Apparently you know very little about WW, I eat 1200 to 1500 calories a day, and I am healthier that I have been in years, my BP has fone down 30 points. There are no pre packaged foods you might be confusing the plan with jenny craiG 

@sidsmom wrote:

Focus on ‘wellness”?

Uh, no.

That ain’t ‘wellness.’

Nope.

It’s Weight Watchers.

In 2018 WW encourages whole foods. The snack foods you are referring to are just to keep the eating plan real. It is not plant based, as you advocate, but WW has a very healthy eating plan. I was able to come off of several medications after following the plan for a few months. 

Honored Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@sidsmom

@sidsmom wrote:

Focus on ‘wellness”?

Uh, no.

That ain’t ‘wellness.’

Nope.

It’s Weight Watchers.

In 2018 WW encourages whole foods. The snack foods you are referring to are just to keep the eating plan real. It is not plant based, as you advocate, but WW has a very healthy eating plan. I was able to come off of several medications after following the plan for a few months. 

Edkted to clarify, the snack foods you refer to are entirely optional. WW encourages snack foods that are healthy.