Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Three of the NFL Preseason!!!

I don't see Kirk Cousins going to the Rams. There is too much criticism of RG111 right now; it would be a mistake to trade the back up who has done a better job. I'm not sure how good a quarterback Shaun Hill is. He couldn't carry the team? But then the Rams would still need another back up to replace him, so maybe that wouldn't work out. I wonder if Bradford will eventually be forced out of the NFL due to all the injuries. Maybe he's just not cut out for the NFL.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

And forget Mark Sanchez to the Rams. His camp has made it clear he'd rather stay with the Eagles this year. Matt Barkley is still a possibility, but I'm thinking the Rams will more likely try to ride out the season, get a high pick (ideally first or second overall) and draft a kid. Sam Bradford's never really lived up to the expectations and he's getting on a bit to keep him around. I think his cap number next year is $16 million, so he's not likely coming back under that contract. They might resign him to a one year, "prove it" contract, but at some point they've got to move on. They may try to swing a trade somewhere, but every team in the league knows the situation they're in, so they'll have to overpay to get a guy. Shaun Hill's not a bad option, but it's been a while since he was a starter and it's not like there are a lot of good starters out there.

If Jerry jones is right and Kyle Orton still wants to play, but not for the Cowboys, then he could be an option. He wouldn't be overly pricey and is a competent fill-in starter. The Rams reportedly have less than $2 million in cap space so they've got an obstacle there. They can't trade for anyone who will put them over the cap without clearing cap space, so that limits their options even further.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Haven't watched my copy of the game yet, but I hear even with three Miami turnovers, Cowboys still found a way to lose their 3rd game. All in the preseason game plan - don't reveal too much. I have to think they are hiding the good stuff for opening day.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

On 8/25/2014 yellowrose said:

Haven't watched my copy of the game yet, but I hear even with three Miami turnovers, Cowboys still found a way to lose their 3rd game. All in the preseason game plan - don't reveal too much. I have to think they are hiding the good stuff for opening day.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

For the fans' sake I hope you're right. I've got a bad feeling about this year's Cowboy team though. Of course, you never know what will happen when the real games start.

The NFC East looks a bit less than impressive right now. The Giants look to get off to a bad start as they try to figure out their new offense. That Giants' offensive line is a mess too. RGIII isn't likely to survive a whole game if he keeps running around and taking hits like he has been. The Cowboys defense was a weakness going into camp and they've lost guys to injury and suspension, so that's even more of a weakness now.

These first few weeks will be interesting to watch.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

And I have a bad feeling that your bad feeling is right on, Gardenman.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, it looks like the Cowboys really, really need Tony Romo to have an amazing year to be competitive. The good news is it could happen. Dez Bryant is playing well. Romo's looked okay coming back from the back surgery. The offensive line is pretty solid though young. There's some reason for cautious optimism, but that Cowboy defense is scary in a bad way for Cowboy fans. You'e probably going to see a lot of shootouts in Dallas this year like that Broncos game last year.

The Cowboys pretty much have to play a high risk game on both offense and defense. I don't really think they can ever count on their defense making a stand going head to head, so they've got to attack recklessly and pray they get a few breaks. Send lots of blitzers, hope to jar a ball loose and recover it. They're likely to give up a lot of big plays, but they're not really likely to stop the other guys anyway, so they might as well throw caution to the wind and hope for the best. That defense is seriously lacking in talent right now and talent is kind of important.

On offense they can't really afford to meander down the field. They pretty much have to score every time they get the ball. To do that they'll have to get chunks of yardage. It's a shame for Romo that this isn't a contract year as he's likely to put up some incredible numbers this year. I'm just not sure if his numbers will translate into wins.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

TEGAN and GARDENMAN---It's a shame about Bradford, he seemed to have talent, good work ethic, and nice enough guy, but he just can't stay healthy. I don't think Cousins will be going any where especially when Robert showed vulnerability and inability to escape or slide---and then add in his play has not been very good, while Cousins has played decently. And I don't see the Redskins trading Robert either---I think the whole QB situation will have to play itself out.....

I don't think the Rams will sell the farm this season to get just an interim QB, they will want to wait until next year to get their long term starting QB in the draft.....Fisher concentrated on defense and perhaps should have done more to beef up the line to protect their fragile QB.....they did take Robinson but then went defense and waited until later rounds to get another OT and C.....

STUPID STUPID STUPID Brandon Meriweather has been suspended for 2 games for another helmet to helmet hit---and that's an area on defense that we cannot afford to lose a player either...."thank you" Brandon {#emotions_dlg.angry}

To trim the roster Redskins cut G Adam Gettis a 5th rounder in 2012 and undrafted free agent CB Bryan Shepherd....and TEGAN we cut former Colt Mike McGlynn who the Redskins signed as a free agent.....he has not looked good in camp and struggled in one on one drills, they had tried him at several spots along the line, he had said that center was his best spot, but he did not play well at center either.....a surprise move is the cut of WR Rashad Ross who has played well on special teams....but it could just be a numbers crunch with regard to the competition at WR......

OMG here we go with Incognitio looking to get back into the NFL---Bucs seem to be front runners.....at least Lovie appears to be a coach that could keep him in check.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

Gardenman, doesn't seem like Romo has participated in enough practices to really get in sync. Watched the first half of the Miami game, and he looked sloppy and unsure. Sacked 3 times and coach gives him Monday off from practice. I read that he's missed something like 11 practices. Think it's time to lay off the TLC. Much as I would hate to have a terrible season, I hate the thought of going 8-8 again even more. If we're going to be bad, lets be really bad and get that 1st draft pick. Not wanting to be negative, but these mediocre seasons have gotten really old.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Philly play. From what I'm hearing, this just may be the year of the Eagles. I guess I wouldn't mind that too much. It could be worse. LOL Philly is a little more likeable now with Chip Kelly coaching. Now don't think I'm converting. I'd NEVER put on a Eagle shirt, but I can appreciate watching a talented team.

Honored Contributor

Yellowrose. Having a horrible season to get a good draft pick isn't a bad strategy if you need a new QB, but I don't think the Cowboys will be looking at a new QB unless Romo's back fails again. I could see the Rams and Browns leading the league in losses, but the Cowboys have enough weapons on offense that barring a Romo injury they should pull out at least six wins. I'm not very high on the Giants or Redskins. I'd assume the Cowboys could at least split those series and might even sweep them.

The Eagles will be fun to watch this year. Last year at this time we had no idea what the Eagles were going to be, but now we've had a year of experience, the defense should be better, the offense is deeper, Chip Kelly knows the league better. There's potential for things to go very well in Philly. Two big early tests will be the Colts (week two) and Niners (week four.) Those games will tell us a lot about how the Eagles' year will go.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!