Honored Contributor

I know there might be another thread, but what is your opinion, we went for a ride yesterday and I saw several people taking a walk wearing a mask.

I am immunocompromised and my doctor said it is only for people who are ill

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I'm seeing more and more people with masks -- all kinds.  Handkerchiefs worn like a train robber or bank robber to scarfs wrapped around their face.  They look at me sideways when they pass and veer as far away as they can, like I'm the one carrying the virus.  It's an awful feeling.  The next thing I expect to see is a gas mask.  

If you need one, wear it.  Otherwise they should be in the hands of medical workers and people that do need them out of necessity.

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox  Firstly May you Remain well.  The mask may not be any help to keep the wearer from getting CV19  BUT I look at it this way.  If they cough or sneeze as I walk by ( not everyone is following the 6 foot rule and sometimes I can not get 6 feet away) If they cough, the mask will catch the big droplets that they spew.  They're protecting me not themelves.  Thats the way I look at it.

Respected Contributor

I've only gone to the grocery store and the post office.  I'd say most people at the grocery store have both gloves and masks on (but not the workers).  Yesterday at the post office there was a couple with masks on and the postal employees(2) had gloves and masks on.

Honored Contributor

If wearing a mask makes you feel comfortable then wear it. But if you are sick then you need to wear it when you are around others and you sholdn't be going outside if your are sick. 

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxoxI haven't seen a change regarding the wearing of masks, and until I do, I'm not wearing one.  I'm not feeling infected so if I did go into public space, I don't expect to infect someone else.

As for a mask protecting me -  it's my understanding that most of the "civilian" masks not only do not protect us from incoming disease, they actually encourage us to touch our faces as we adjust those masks and that touching itself is dangerous.

Anyone know of information from a responsible source that's different?

Respected Contributor

Listen to your doctor, and stay 6 feet away

Honored Contributor

Re: Wearing masks outside

[ Edited ]

There's no reason for one to wear a mask outside.

ETA:

Makes me sad to see private citizens using these masks

when nurses, doctors, first responders would practically

cut off their left foot to have the mask a 'dog walker' 

would wear.  Zero empathy.  Selfish. 

Honored Contributor

Lots of people wearing masks in NYC. 

• One of my neighbors (female - 60s) never leaves her apartment w/o her mask.  She volunteers at the local hospital and is probably a bit more o the "alert" than the rest of us.  

• All the checkers in the supermarket had them on .... in addition to a plexi screen installed between checker and shopper.

• On the street - the majority of the mask wearers are men that appear to be in their 30s and 40s ... walking dogs.  Some of them are wearing those dust masks you buy at the hardwear store when doing sanding / drillng / etc.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wearing masks outside

[ Edited ]

In our town we are "Ordered" to wear a mask  if we go outside  

At least it keeps everyones germs to themselves, hopefully.

But sadly,it does not work to keep the bad germs out ....