Honored Contributor

so far i have only seen one person in walmart here wearing one. not sure about other stores.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: Wearing Mask

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

The healthy general public does not need to wear masks according to the CDC. Sick people should stay home and practice infection control within their own environment.

But I have read that the virus can hang in the air for up to three hours so how could you know if the aisle in the grocery store is okay to walk down...so many people out shopping and stocking up.I think they tell us not to wear a mask because there is a supply problem.

Masks are not going to keep out virus particulates floating in the air. Respirators may be more harmful than good because of their ability to create moisture build-up inside the mask which causes breathing issues. Also the fact that once used they need to be replaced regularly. Wearing respirators is not an easy task for most people. The are uncomfortable and many people find themselves fiddling with them to stay on properly which causes more problems.

If you have them, save your masks and respirators for when you do get sick and don't waste them otherwise.

Valued Contributor

I'm calling bs on this mask advice.  It seems to me that they offer some protection, its not fool proof.  I have a few and if I go grocery shopping, I will wear one.

Super Contributor

I am one that thinks that masks would be better than nothing.  My brother-in-law is in China frequently and wearing a mask in crowded areas (like mass transit, etc) is common. The Chinese feel this helps.

I am afraid Americans are all or nothing.  We hear that a mask can't keep you from getting the virus so we say oh well, forget all masks. And yet, the other day I was in a crowded store and a woman was coughing and violently sneezing with no covering of her face.  If she had a mask that would at least prevent HER from spreading whatever she might have.

I feel that if we all wore them it would help slow the spread down even if it wouldn't 100% guarantee not contracting the virus.

Valued Contributor

Where can we buy masks?

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear 

No. A mask isn’t going to keep us safe. They help other people (not the wearer) a bit, but not for long. 

We need to to stay home as much as possible.

Honored Contributor

I just read this-

The head of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention said it’s a big mistake in the U.S. and Europe “that people aren’t wearing masks” in public.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

What most do not realize is that gloves are prob more important than the mask!  Great, you wear a mask when out in public. But how many things have you TOUCHED?  Then you touch your face, eyes (which are NOT covered by a mask) etc etc etc.

The BEST advice is to stay home!  We did order take out last weekend just to do our part to  keep the staff at some local restaurants working.  We will prob do the same again this weekend as we normally go out on Saturday night.

BTW, I have not left my home since March 17 !!

Stay home and stay well!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

I am confused....so if you believe you are virus free....no need to wear a mask....BUT...Doctors wear them when they are virus free....HUH? 

they do not protect your eyes....so shouldn't goggles be necessary too?

Honored Contributor

Re: Wearing Mask

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs wrote:

I just read this-

The head of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention said it’s a big mistake in the U.S. and Europe “that people aren’t wearing masks” in public.

So.....how did THAT turn out for them?

Many of the Chinese typically wear masks due to air pollution,

but of course now, the focus will be due to COVID-19