Trusted Contributor

Hi @on the bay,

I know what you mean about the wipes.

I had these great antibacterial cleansing wipes that came in individual packets that I got at the Dollar Tree. They were so great. You could put them in your purse, a pocket or the car, for example.

I can't get them right now at this time, unfortunately. If the store even gets them in stock, I'm sure that they fly right off of the shelves.

The nice thing about them for me is that they seem to be a bit more moisturizing than the bottled sanitizers.

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I think the reason for not wearing gloves is that say you touch something that has been contaminated with the virus, like a door handle opening the freezer, or a grocery cart.So then everything you touch from that point on, is contaminated as well. You would have to change gloves every time you touched anything in order for it to make sense to wear them. 

Workers who wear them are protecting themselves I guess but I don't like to have someone wearing the same gloves for everyones groceries or money etc to never change them either. It is just re-infecting everything touched.

I think masks, though uncomfortable are a good idea. 

@on the bay  The surfaces would get comtaminated either way!  I wear gloves to protect myself from those potentially contaminated surfaces. I put them on when I leave the house - and take them off (dirty surface to dirty surface) & toss them in the garbage before I enter my house. I use hand santizer then too- just in case part of the dirty surface hit my hands.

Masks protect others from you - unless they're N95's. These are all small measures to help stop the spread of this deadly virus. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

Hi @on the bay,

I know what you mean about the wipes.

I had these great antibacterial cleansing wipes that came in individual packets that I got at the Dollar Tree. They were so great. You could put them in your purse, a pocket or the car, for example.

I can't get them right now at this time, unfortunately. If the store even gets them in stock, I'm sure that they fly right off of the shelves.

The nice thing about them for me is that they seem to be a bit more moisturizing than the bottled sanitizers.

@Toppers3 

"Antibacterial" is not the same as anti-viral.  I was carrying WetOnes wipes in my car and using them before this COVID19 mess.  But they will not be any help with COVID because they only kill bacteria. So don't feel bad that you don't have any more antibacterial wipes!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I had the clorox wipes. I am going to try not to go to the store so I won't need them for now but they sure were nice to have to wipe off carts and things when stores ran out.

And yes regular wipes won't do much to prevent anything.

I spray a lot of things with lysol😜 😷 too

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

For those of you who would like wipes but can't find them you can find instructions to make them online. I use them a lot for my counter tops and things and I ran out long ago. If you have rubbing alcohol & paper towels or heavy duty napkins you can make them. 

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@FlowerBear  I don't know about gloves helping or not. Now, I'm not sure if wearing masks help - my husband keeps telling me that wearing masks doesn't help. ??  He went to Costco the other day and he had a mask with him as I *think* Costco will not let you in the store if you weren't wearing one. My husband is one who doesn't worry about things though (he's fairly calm), so I'm just not sure. 😐

@Mimi 1883  and @FlowerBear ... the CDC says that wearing masks does not protect people from getting sick.  They only help a person who is ill from infecting others.  However, in NJ our governor has made it mandatory to wear masks when going to a store.  I don't know about gloves.... but I do wear them.  As soon as I am finished with my shopping I throw them out and wash my hands thoroughly.  I make sure not to touch my face ... until I have washed my hands.  

@Boehm Collector   So I am confused about what you think the gloves are saving you from... the gloves touch everything... just like your hands would... you do not touch your face with the gloves on OR OFF... Then you take them off and throw them away... and wash your hands... just like you would if you did not wear gloves... 

Seems like the gloves are really doing nothing. You can get the virus with the gloves or not.. the virus is either on the glove or your hands.. but you can not get the virus through your hands... and you are washing your hands and cleaning them as soon as you leave the store...

@SeaMaiden   I can't wash my hands as soon as I leave a store... I have to get home before I can wash them.... In the meantime, I don't want to contaminate my keys and the inside of my car when I touch them before being able to wash my hands.  While I am removing the gloves I am really careful.  

@Boehm Collector  @SeaMaiden 

I wear gloves, keep hand sanitizer in pocket.  After unloading items I completely sanitize the gloves, remove them very carefully, and put them in the trash.

Yes, anything I touch in the store stays on the gloves, but not on me, and not in my car, or on keys,  They may not do much, but they do make me think about touching face.

Sadly, we’re all just making this up as we go along.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I only use a face mask, no gloves. I just use hand sanitizer before I get in my car after shopping. It's all so confusing and impossible to do things perfectly. I've given up trying to be perfect. Just trying to be as careful as I can without going insane. I look at it like this, the shelves are being stocked by people with gloves and masks so I'm considering the grocery items clean, just worried about the carts and bags.

Honored Contributor

I was standing at the entrance to Kroger before 7 a.m. Monday morning.  

At 6:55 an employee walked into the cart storage area, counted the number of us standing outside and pulled out that many carts.   He then proceeded to spray a cloth with 2 squirts from a spray bottle and wipe off all of those cart handles with the same cloth before unlocking the door and leaving that area.  

I know that was just one action by a single employee, but seeing that blew the thought  of senior shopping hour being safer, totally out of the water for me.  

Yes the store won’t be as busy, and it will be mostly older shoppers or those with health concerns, but I have absolutely no faith in anything in that store being “clean”.   

Honored Contributor

It's a man-eat-man world out there right now. I am very high risk and really rarely go out. But when I do, I wear a mask AND gloves. Am I spreading germs to everyone else? Oh well. Sorry, but right now I only care about me. You are on your own. Am I selfish? Yup. If I don't watch out for me, who else will? So, yes, I get totally in all of my gear to just visit a grocery store. Ok, let me have it about what a horrible person I am. Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

The only places that I've been out to so far during this lock down is the supermarket or farm market.

I don't wear gloves since I don't think it's effective.  what I do instead is carry a Wet One disinfecting wipe around with me constantly wiping my hands & fingers with it.  When it starts to dry I'll get a new one out of my bag.