Respected Contributor

Re: Wear only one hearing aid?

I developed mild tinnitus and the hearing aid definitely helps that. Mine isn't the 'ringing' that people describe--it's more of a buzzing.  Also--your hearing aid doesn't help if your back is turned to the person speaking--they are designed with a directional mic and you need to be facing the person that is talking.  If I miss something, I just say that it's my bad ear and please repeat.  That way I can cheat my good ear to the person speaking.

Trusted Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Does anyone wear only one hearing aid?

I am completely deaf in my left ear and no hearing aid can help with that.  I do wear one in my right ear.

Trusted Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

When I got my hearing aids the audiologist told me you should never wear just one hearing aid.  It's like using glasses with just one lense.

He gave me several reasons but I don't remember wheat they were.

That is not true. Total deafness cannot be helped with a hearing aid so why purchace 2 when one will not work. I have been dealing with this for years with the help of an audiologist.

Trusted Contributor

Is there any hearing aid that is truly invisible in your ear?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@CJC wrote:

Is there any hearing aid that is truly invisible in your ear?

Here is what I have found:

IIC   Invisible in the canal       Smallest

CIC Completely in Canal

ITE InThe Ear Bigger than CIC Fits the entire bowl of the ear

ITC Partly in the ear canal 

BTE Behind the Ear  (the large curved thing behind ear and clear 

wire attaches to in the ear thing)

The smaller the aid the fewer the features such as rechargable vs battery or cannot control with app.

I thought that I could go to a private audiologist and get the best for me aid but this is not what is happening. I did not realize that so much of hearing care is subjective. Yes, the audiologist give you your device and programs it, but it is based on "is this too loud?" Setting the small office does not come close to being in real situations. Yes, there is a trial period.

hearingsoundly.com was a good reference. When you search information on hearing care you are most likely directed to a seller of aids.

Check out IIC hearing aids

I hope others will share.

Valued Contributor

A good audiologist will help you a great deal.  My husband's makes reccommendations and then he fines tune to the way he prefers things.  He has very specific choices when it comes to outdoor noises, etc.  In many cases natural sounds were shut off in the adaptive programs and he wants to hear them when in the woods.  She has been most helpful fine tuning to his needs.  

Respected Contributor

Most hearing aids can pair up with a smart phone too and you can make your own adjustments for volume and background noise.

Honored Contributor

My mother only wore one hearing aid, she was completely deaf in the other ear.  My sister only wears one hearing aid.  Her hearing in the other ear could not be helped by wearing a hearing aid...she doesn't have a hyoid bone.

I come from a family of hearing impaired people.  It is not uncommon to only need one hearing aid.   

Honored Contributor

When I first researched getting a hearing aid, I only bought one. 

At the time my hearing was not that diminished. And the only reason I bought it was because my boss spoke so softly I could not hear every word.  She was so afraid someone would over hear what she was saying to me, that she spoke in a whisper.

So I wore the one hearing aid for several years, no problem. Besides it was not cheap. It was about $2,600 for just the one.