Respected Contributor

Does anyone wear only one hearing aid?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wear only one hearing aid?

Well I wear two, but I would imagine if there is only hearing loss in one ear, you would be prescribed a hearing aid for just that ear.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

`My sister wears one hearing aid.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

When I got my hearing aids the audiologist told me you should never wear just one hearing aid.  It's like using glasses with just one lense.

He gave me several reasons but I don't remember wheat they were.

Honored Contributor

My mom was only able to use a single hearing aid, but it's because she had a total hearing loss in the other ear since childhood.

Respected Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

When I got my hearing aids the audiologist told me you should never wear just one hearing aid.  It's like using glasses with just one lense.

Thanks to all for your replies.

The eye glasses analogy is not exactly correct. If one eye has normal vision and does not require correction the glasses lens is faux ie non Rx and then the other eye needing correction wears Rx lens. 

If one ear has normal hearing but the other ear has loss then the solution is tricky. I was hoping that an audiologist or someone with personal experience could share thoughts. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I wear only one hearing aid.  My left ear is the only one with compromised hearing.  It doesn't bother me at all.  It actually helps because without my aid, I feel off balance (not physically, but it is a weird feeling I cannot describe any other way).

Regular Contributor

My husband wears only one hearing aid.  He has a hearing deficit in only one ear - thus, one hearing aid.  He had no problem adjusting to it, and continues to be free of any issues a year later.

Respected Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

That's what my son's audiologist told him but then he had hearing loss in both ears 

Respected Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

I wear only one hearing aid.  My left ear is the only one with compromised hearing.  It doesn't bother me at all.  It actually helps because without my aid, I feel off balance (not physically, but it is a weird feeling I cannot describe any other way).

Thank you for taking the time to share. 

This is me too. But the trial of one aid had been frustrating bc I hear normal out of one ear and like someone taking into a microphone too close in the other ear. The audiologist has turned down the volume and that has helped. 

Im using an in the canal aid on my second try and that has helped to eliminate the "wind noise" and other magnified sounds. 

I think it is important to make this successful.