Respected Contributor

This is my Mom to a "T."  She was finally diagnosed with ortho-static hypotension (rapid drop in blood pressure upon changing position; associated with numbness, weakness, and confusion).  Not saying this is what you have -- just that seeing a doctor -- preferably a neurologist -- is in order (as is drinking lots of water, Gatorade, etc. to keep your blood pressure normal, and maybe wearing compression stockings).  There's help out there for this, and any good doctor has heard of this before.  Wishing you the best.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I agree with the fact this could be a reaction from many different issues, starting with something as simple as being dehydrated or overheated.   

My husbands work friend started experiencing episodes similar to this, which led to frequent falls.   His issue was diagnosed as CHF.   

This is something you need to tell your doctor about.

@RedTop  ...Hi RedTop .. what is CHF ? .... thanks 😃

Trusted Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I know there are many things that could be causing what you are describing . I was having problems with feeling weak and dizzy, and I thought it was maybe side effects of 

medication. It hit me one day, that maybe between the extreme heat and hot flashes and working out, I was losing electrolytes faster than I was replacing them. It was instant

rellief the moment I began replacing my electrolytes and I

have not felt that way since. 

This is just my experience but of course it’s best to be checked out by your doctor.

What is a good way to replace electrolytes? TIA

Honored Contributor

@January121 

CHF = congestive heart failure.

Esteemed Contributor

Could it caused by your medications?  For me that is the cause.

Trusted Contributor
@fresh kitty

Call your doctor tomorrow to set up an appointment & everything will be fine.😊👍
Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@January121 

CHF = congestive heart failure.

@RedTop  .... Thanks!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Weak body episodes

[ Edited ]

@DottieBlue 

You asked about how to replace depleted electrolytes.

I know that when an infant or young child suffers extreme diarrhea or some other illness that causes excessive excretion of electrolytes such as sodium and potassium, the child (on doctor's orders) is placed on a replacement fluid such as Pedialyte until a normal diet can resume.

For adults (athletes who sweat a lot and others who excrete or  just aren't getting what they need), the answer is Gatorade.

This drink can be loaded with sugar or with other sweeteners, but can be purchased in a colorless version that isn't so artificial.  Gatorade also comes in a lower-calorie version.

A doctor can better assess the situation and recommend a readily available commercial product or perhaps even  a prescription product  to replace the essential minerals and other nutrients that are missing.

My husband now drinks Gatorade occasionally on his doctor's advice, because he works out at a gym to an extreme and always has since he was a kid, so he sweats out more electrolytes than the average couch potato.

It takes a complete blood test to determine exactly what electrolytes might be missing and affecting health in other ways.

My own blood tests have shown me to be a little low in sodium, but not so much to be a concern. 

When I used to work full time and was raising two kids, and had little time to eat during the day, a snack-sized bag of salty chips could make me feel better after a while.  I tended toward low blood pressure at those times, so I guess it all was due to an electrolyte imbalance.

Honored Contributor

@fresh kitty wrote:

Has anyone had the sensation of the energy draining from your body so you feel really weak? I’ve been having these episodes when I stand up it’s like the energy drains down to my feet and finger tips and it leaves me feeling numb and totally weak. If I say this to a doctor he’ll think I’m loosing my mind. So has anyone had this issue?

@fresh kitty 

This is a real condition called POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome).  If you also experience a racing heartbeat with the fatigue, you should see a doctor.  I know this because I have it. 

I’m not implying that you have it, it just exactly matches the symptoms of this disorder.  It is not considered fatal and it can be treated with increased sodium intake and other methods.  Sometimes it goes away on its own, but I would recommend seeing a cardiologist to be on the safe side. It can indicate heart issues and other maladies.

Good luck.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Weak body episodes

[ Edited ]

@fresh kitty wrote:

Has anyone had the sensation of the energy draining from your body so you feel really weak? I’ve been having these episodes when I stand up it’s like the energy drains down to my feet and finger tips and it leaves me feeling numb and totally weak. If I say this to a doctor he’ll think I’m loosing my mind. So has anyone had this issue?

@fresh kitty 

Just curious .... by chance did you google those symptoms?  Might get some validation, but you still need to see your doc.