Respected Contributor

Re: We are losing 2 of our doctors

Doctors also have to pay huge premiums for malpractice insurance. That’s one reason so many obstetricians have left the medical field. 

Respected Contributor

@deeva wrote:

Doctors also have to pay huge premiums for malpractice insurance. That’s one reason so many obstetricians have left the medical field. 

This is a shame but true, I know some med students who moved into different specialities due to the malpractice insurance $$$$$.

I read an article a few years back that many American radiologists will not read mammograms due to the high rate of law suits.  They send those 'films' over seas to be read.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mimomof4 wrote:

This concierge idea hasn't caught on where I live.  I find it funny that Drs are complaining about being dictated costs by the insurance company.  

I went to the Radiologist for an ultrasound.  They handed me a paper saying if they billed my insurance I would have to pay $375 out of pocket and go towards my deductable.  They also offered me a Pay up front and not bill insurance option that was $120.  Why is there a $250 difference for the same service when they are billing insurance vs me paying myself.  I chose the cheaper option because regardless I had to pay.   I have heard my surgeon quote much lower prices for "self pay" patients with no insurance.

I do not have dental insurance and when I go I get this large bill and then on the bottom it's cut by 2/3 bc I'm "self-pay".  I hate the games they play with all health insurance.  You pay good money for it, the doctors perform services and it's hugely inflated and then they end up taking the negotiated insurance price and I end up paying the co-pay.   If they are willing to take the insurance costs and your copay for payment - - that should be the total cost for everyone.

Honored Contributor

My PCP has retired and so has my husband’s in the past six months....my neuro shut down his practice last December. My gyn has changed to concierge but divided the waiting room into two sections....one side has bottled water and current magazines... it’s cash up front only after paying a retainer fee , which is very expensive....the other side of the waiting room has nothing....it’s for those who have insurance. A new doctor is there a few days a week, Ridiculous
Honored Contributor

I don’t think all drs are greedy but they are being bound too tightly by insurance companies...they are actually deciding what drs can and can’t do or they won’t pay them.
Honored Contributor

This trend is going to discourage people from seeing a doctor when they should...and checkups will be postponed or simply stopped when people can’t afford them.