Honored Contributor

Re: Ways to minimize the queasiness you get from anesthesia?

@hckynut, I was under general anesthesia.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

I just recently had back surgery and when I met with the anesthesia dr I told him I do get nauseaous from it. He said no problem and put something in my IV and I was fine. Just let them know during your pre-op visit. Good luck with your surgery.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

wow everyone, thanks for all the good info! i had no idea you can tell them before the surgery and they can do things for your, like the patch someone mentioned or put something in your drip. Geez, can't believe I didn't know that. I will make sure I tell them so they can decide what to do to help. It is the worst feeling and I think that is the part I dread the most about surgery! Smiley Sad

@HappyDaze  Hope all goes well!

Honored Contributor

@Reba055 @luvdoodles thank you! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

This thread came just in time! I'm having surgery Monday and I'm flipping out about how I'm going to feel from being put under. I told the anaesthesiologist I get nauseous/dizzy/dry heaving. So I'm hopeful they'll treat me accordingly.
Honored Contributor

Wow ....  I didn't realize that people can have this reaction.  When I come out of anesthesia I'm always thirsty.   So glad they can prevent this with anti nausea drugs!

Honored Contributor

When i had my nephrectomy I had an NG tube to suction to prevent vomiting - I was vomiting so hard I actually vomited the tube up - it was going in ,my nose and out my mouth.  When i had my back surgery i vomited for 7 days, they had to move me to a special unit, off the ortho floor.The one and only thing that has ever helped me was the scopalamine patch.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't read any of the other replies but I had surgery 2 times and both times vomited afterwards.

When I had to have my hysterectomy last year, one of my biggest concerns was getting sick.  I told the anesthesiologist my concerns and he told me that I had 3 strikes against me and that was female, having a female surgery and a non-smoker.  He said for some reason smokers do better with not getting sick.

Anyhow, he told me they would do what they could.  They put 2 different meds in my IV and the one that I think made the biggest difference was they put the patch behind my ear.  And they didn't do mine until right before the surgery but it worked.

Not only was I not the least bit ill when I came to, I was starving!  LOL  

Esteemed Contributor

I have never gotten queasy after anesthesia.  Maybe they add something to my IV without me knowing.  I'm not hungry or thirsty, just tired.  Last time I woke up a little bit early I think cause I could hear them talking and don't think the nurse or doctor knew I was coming out of it.  But they must have been nearly done at that point unless I went back to sleep.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I haven't read any of the other replies but I had surgery 2 times and both times vomited afterwards.

When I had to have my hysterectomy last year, one of my biggest concerns was getting sick.  I told the anesthesiologist my concerns and he told me that I had 3 strikes against me and that was female, having a female surgery and a non-smoker.  He said for some reason smokers do better with not getting sick.

Anyhow, he told me they would do what they could.  They put 2 different meds in my IV and the one that I think made the biggest difference was they put the patch behind my ear.  And they didn't do mine until right before the surgery but it worked.

Not only was I not the least bit ill when I came to, I was starving!  LOL  

@Lipstickdiva wow actually hungry right after surgery?? I can't imagine, lol! I usually eat a cracker or graham crackers just to try to help my quesiness, certainly not because I was hungry! I am going to talk to the doctors and see about that patch. I used a patch for motion sickness when I was on a boat off the San Diego coast for 2 days and it was amazing how much it helped. I normally don't get sea sick but we were in a storm and our boat was getting thrashed so yeah, I got a bit queasy. The patches worked great though.

Weird that smokers fair better regarding quesiness after surger- odd! Sounds like I have three strikes against me too since all three apply to me. I never had any female related surgeries before but now you have me a bit scared that this one will make me even more queasy than usual! Smiley Sad

ETA: I take the bolded part back because that Acessa procedure was considered a female related procedure but in a sense, it really was a surgery since I was put under completey and I was under for 8 hours (suppose to only be 4!). Nothing was removed or sliced or anything, just zapped using an ultrasound wand, so that is why I didn't really consider it a surgery per se but it really is. And I have to say, even though most of my other surgeries were many years ago so maybe I don't remember them as well, this surgery was the worst in terms of my quesiness and lasted for days afterwards. Yes, days. Of course not nearly as bad as the first initial several hours but waves of queasiness hit me throughout the day for the next several days. And after the surgery, my mom and dad said I looked really really bad, in terms of being ghostly white. I am really surprised I never actually threw up. It was awful.