Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ways to minimize the queasiness you get from anesthesia?

@151949 wrote:

I always would get terrible vomiting from anesthesia until one doctor ordered me a scopalamine patch. They are great! You apply it like  a small round bandaid behind your ear the day before surgery and it stays there for 7 days. Total relief of the post anesthesia nausea.I had one for both my knee surgeries - the anesthesia doctor gave me a Rx for them when I had my preop visit with him, and instructed me to put it on the day before the surgery.

Maybe that's where it went wrong.  They put my patch on an hour before surgery and it did nothing.  I was still throwing up for hours.  It happened 3 separate times and they even gave other meds in the IV in recovery.  Didn't help!

Next time, I will get it the day before.

Respected Contributor

I know everyone is different but a good anesthesiologist will include something for nausea in their cocktail. Post op should also be on top of things and give you something if you are having any issues. Don't be afraid to ask. 

Understand some might still get nauseated, but talk to your doctor before going under. Our anesthesiologist here tell you what they are doing and using. It's always been a great experience for me and my family members. Well, as good as it can be. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze

What anesthesia was used to put you under? I personally have never had any problems coming out of any type of general anesthesia, be it ether/Sodium Pentothal or Propofol.

My wife used to have this problem with her years ago surgeries when it was Sodium Pentothal. Since her more recent ones have all been Propofol,she no longer has any issues?

One drug I always refuse is Fentanyl. It has nothing to do with feeling sick or queasy. I had it 1 time and felt the way I have heard an LSD TRIP does to users. Wasn't sure what they used so got my nephew, who is an Anethesiologist to find out for me?

From then on when I heard the  word Fentanyl? I said, "not on me you won't. Anything with Codeine in it. I refuse to take any pain killer with this in it, which is many. Same goes with Hydrocodone? Usually end up taking tylenol as my main drug of choice as a pain killer?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

My husband was given Zofran after his surgery, it is an anti nausea med.  It is the same medicine that is often given before chemo, it works very well.

Respected Contributor

Tell your doctor and the anesthesiologist that you get nauseous from anesthesia.  They will prevent it prior to the surgery by giving you an antiemetic with the anesthesia.    

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

After my first colonoscopy, I was very nauseous.  Then next time one was due, I let my doctor know.  He told me to take one Dramamine before I came for the procedure.  Sure enough, I felt fine afterwards.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

After my first colonoscopy, I was very nauseous.  Then next time one was due, I let my doctor know.  He told me to take one Dramamine before I came for the procedure.  Sure enough, I felt fine afterwards.

@Mmsfoxxie

Did they give you general anesthesia for a Colonoscopy?  With all the many I have had,  they have given me only Versed. Most of their other patients, I am told by their Procedure Nurses who put in the IV, said get Fentanol and Versed. I refuse the Fentanol for reason stated in my other post.  For some, they do however put completely out, with Propofol.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

wow everyone, thanks for all the good info! i had no idea you can tell them before the surgery and they can do things for your, like the patch someone mentioned or put something in your drip. Geez, can't believe I didn't know that. I will make sure I tell them so they can decide what to do to help. It is the worst feeling and I think that is the part I dread the most about surgery! Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@HappyDaze

What anesthesia was used to put you under? I personally have never had any problems coming out of any type of general anesthesia, be it ether/Sodium Pentothal or Propofol.

My wife used to have this problem with her years ago surgeries when it was Sodium Pentothal. Since her more recent ones have all been Propofol,she no longer has any issues?

One drug I always refuse is Fentanyl. It has nothing to do with feeling sick or queasy. I had it 1 time and felt the way I have heard an LSD TRIP does to users. Wasn't sure what they used so got my nephew, who is an Anethesiologist to find out for me?

From then on when I heard the  word Fentanyl? I said, "not on me you won't. Anything with Codeine in it. I refuse to take any pain killer with this in it, which is many. Same goes with Hydrocodone? Usually end up taking tylenol as my main drug of choice as a pain killer?

hckynut(john)

@hckynut I don't really know, honestly. I've had 5 surgeries over the course of my life (I'm in my 40's) and each time I've felt horrible afterwards with the nausea. The Feyntanyl you mentioned sounds HORRIBLE and I hope to never experience that. The nausea is bad enough, certainly don't need an acid trip too!

I think I am just super sensitive to drugs, medication, etc because I rarely use any. I will only even use ibu/asprin/tylenol if I'm getting close to a migraine. Besides that, I just don't use or like pain meds so I wonder if that is why meds always hit me harder than many? Just a theory, I don't know for sure.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I always would get terrible vomiting from anesthesia until one doctor ordered me a scopalamine patch. They are great! You apply it like  a small round bandaid behind your ear the day before surgery and it stays there for 7 days. Total relief of the post anesthesia nausea.I had one for both my knee surgeries - the anesthesia doctor gave me a Rx for them when I had my preop visit with him, and instructed me to put it on the day before the surgery.

that sounds great!