Honored Contributor

Re: Ways to minimize the queasiness you get from anesthesia?

I don't get an upset stomach, I feel faint the first about ten minutes after I wake up. I had a fibroid removed the first year we were married, fainted over the coffee table, had an emergency c-section with our oldest, passed out the day after in the hospital.

When I had my complete hysto, DH left me some sweet tea with ice to level me out when he went back four days later.  If I could have that little bit of cool and a little pick up from sugar, I was ok after a few minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any tips/tricks to minimize queasiness due to the anesthesia when coming out of surgery? I suck on ice chips and sip on 7 up but was wondering if anyone has other suggestions? I also really hate that taste/smell of the anesthesia that you emit after coming out of surgery. It is the worst!

@HappyDaze

You will have the opportunity to speak with both your surgeon and anesthesiologist.  Speak up and tell them both that you have previously experienced nausea post-op and need something to relieve the nausea.

There are a plethora of drugs that can be administered IV that will take care of that nausea faster than a New York minute.

Remember:  You must speak up and let these docs know of your concern ahead of time.  Plus, if this is a same-day surgery, tell them to allow you extra time to process the drugs, so you don't throw up in the car on the way home (this happened to me at the time of my first same-day and it wasn't pleasant).

Good luck.  I know that with the proper drug on board, you're going to be just fine.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative thank you so much! Smiley Happy I am going to UC San Francisco for the surgery and know I will be in good hands. I will let my doctor know on the phone about the quesinesss when we talk about which surgery I will be getting so that way if they decide on the patch, I can just pick up at the pharmacy beforehand.

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I always would get terrible vomiting from anesthesia until one doctor ordered me a scopalamine patch. They are great! You apply it like  a small round bandaid behind your ear the day before surgery and it stays there for 7 days. Total relief of the post anesthesia nausea.I had one for both my knee surgeries - the anesthesia doctor gave me a Rx for them when I had my preop visit with him, and instructed me to put it on the day before the surgery.

Maybe that's where it went wrong.  They put my patch on an hour before surgery and it did nothing.  I was still throwing up for hours.  It happened 3 separate times and they even gave other meds in the IV in recovery.  Didn't help!

Next time, I will get it the day before.

Just wanted to say I can't take the scopalamine patch. I used it once for motion sickness when I went on a cruise and it gave a migraine with double vision and I ended up throwing up anyway. I am not migraine prone either. I think it's great for some people but I'm apparently sensitive to it.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I don't get an upset stomach, I feel faint the first about ten minutes after I wake up. I had a fibroid removed the first year we were married, fainted over the coffee table, had an emergency c-section with our oldest, passed out the day after in the hospital.

When I had my complete hysto, DH left me some sweet tea with ice to level me out when he went back four days later.  If I could have that little bit of cool and a little pick up from sugar, I was ok after a few minutes.

@HappyDaze***I think a lot of this queasiness in the am comes from the body going into a repair, regenerate mode that manufactures heat.  I know that is when I turn of the electric blanket on my side even now.

I know in medicine this is the most frequent time of day a patient that "hangs by a thread" goes.

Because women kind of "build up hormone concentration in the body", that can make your stomach uncomfortable too.

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@sfnative thank you so much! Smiley Happy I am going to UC San Francisco for the surgery and know I will be in good hands. I will let my doctor know on the phone about the quesinesss when we talk about which surgery I will be getting so that way if they decide on the patch, I can just pick up at the pharmacy beforehand.

@HappyDaze

This is a blast from the past.  I grew up just blocks from UCSF and went to the brick grammar school on 7th Avenue between Irving & Judah, which currently serves as the Human Resources Center for UCSF.  Had many kid friends whose Dad's were going through their residency or were guest professors.  Many in our family benefited from the various excellent specialties there.