Honored Contributor

Ways to minimize the queasiness you get from anesthesia?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any tips/tricks to minimize queasiness due to the anesthesia when coming out of surgery? I suck on ice chips and sip on 7 up but was wondering if anyone has other suggestions? I also really hate that taste/smell of the anesthesia that you emit after coming out of surgery. It is the worst!

Honored Contributor

Re: Ways to minimize the queasiness you get from anesthesia?

I always ask for some anti nausea medication to be added to my drip before they wake me.It seems to work because I feel slightly ill for a minute and then all is well after the tea and toast.

Respected Contributor

I had 2 foot surgeries in the past 2 months, my MD prescribed medication for nausea but I didn't need to take it thank goodness. My advice would be to  contact your  MD and see if he will  prescribe something for you. Good luck, hope you feel better soon

Regular Contributor

You can tell the anesthesiologist that you get nauseous after surgery and he/ she will give you something to take care of it.

Frequent Contributor

Sometimes ginger helps. I've always drank gingerale when feeling sick to my stomach. You can get ginger lozenges to suck on as well.
Honored Contributor

I've always gotten deathly ill  after anesthesia  even to the point of spending 2 days hospitalized after day surgery.  What helped me was talking to my anesthesiologist  before the surgery.  Last time was a breeze...no nausea, I was eating a sandwich just a couple hours after I awoke.  There is stuff they can give you to prevent nausea.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any tips/tricks to minimize queasiness due to the anesthesia when coming out of surgery? I suck on ice chips and sip on 7 up but was wondering if anyone has other suggestions? I also really hate that taste/smell of the anesthesia that you emit after coming out of surgery. It is the worst!

Talk to the anesthesiologist just prior to the surgery and tell him/her what you have experienced in the past.  They can add a medication to the anesthesia to help prevent your symptoms. 

Honored Contributor

I always would get terrible vomiting from anesthesia until one doctor ordered me a scopalamine patch. They are great! You apply it like  a small round bandaid behind your ear the day before surgery and it stays there for 7 days. Total relief of the post anesthesia nausea.I had one for both my knee surgeries - the anesthesia doctor gave me a Rx for them when I had my preop visit with him, and instructed me to put it on the day before the surgery.

Respected Contributor

I always get deathly sick on anesthesia.  I had morning surgery, a laparoscopy where they put gas in and oh my gosh, the gas got trapped up in my shoulders and it hurt so much.  I just kept getting sick and finally, at the end of the day, they said "take her home and let her get sick there".  I'm sure they have better things now to give people.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I always get deathly sick on anesthesia.  I had morning surgery, a laparoscopy where they put gas in and oh my gosh, the gas got trapped up in my shoulders and it hurt so much.  I just kept getting sick and finally, at the end of the day, they said "take her home and let her get sick there".  I'm sure they have better things now to give people.  Good luck!

Same thing happened to me -- TWICE!  I cannot remember anything so painful as that gas being trapped in your shoulder.  I was miserable for two days!

As to nausea, last summer, I had 3 separate surgeries and each time I DID speak with the anesthesiologist about my nausea and they gave me everything they had (I was told) and I still spent hours throwing up.  As I was leaving the hospital, the GYN was coming back in and I was getting sick into a plastic bag. 

All three times I spent the entire day in bed and didn't really recover until late the next day.  It was worse than the actual surgeries!