Honored Contributor

Re: Water in the lungs--know anyone and how they are treated

[ Edited ]

@halfpint wrote:

I had to call 911 last week on dh. He was in the hospital for a few days and released with oxygen. I think he should have gone to a convalescent hospital to get better. I have to nag him to take his medicine and use his devices that he has to blow into. And it is not working so good--the nagging. He isn't trying. Nurses are coming today to evaluate him. Last week one said if he isn't trying she can't come back. His feet are so swollen. A couple years ago he also was in the hospital but wasn't interested in walking even up and down the driveway. He is almost 80.

Perhaps you need a little nagging.  Can I just say that you need to find out what is wrong with your husband, i.e., his diagnosis and his prognosis, have your doctor prescribe appropriate medicines, equipment and classes, if necessary that you need in order to take care properly for him and find out what and why and when and where to do these things.  

It does not sound as if this man is currently able to do the things required of him and he is counting on you who is nagging him.  Without some help and only your criticism of him, to no avail, he will die.  

If you do not try to find out what is wrong with him and work with his healthcare team, his prognosis which is probably already guarded is probably terminal without someone who cares for him.  

I am sorry but you need to be far more involved.  Get off the ****** internet.  Spend less time asking those of us on internet and ask the doctor and professionals in charge.  

It is very irresponsible to come to the internet for advice from people who have never seen your husband, his medical records and have no idea what is wrong with him.  Grow up and take care of him before it is too late.  I think you need this nagging.  

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn

Thank you, John.  I see what you're talking about now.  Yes, he is.  He has an appt. coming up and I am collecting notes of different things which we need to address with him.  Anything which we can do to help ourselves.  I think some people think its all up to the doctors.  But we have to be involved and do what we can.  I appreciate your answering!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

An update if interested--

A visiting nurse was assigned and a therapist who found a low oxygen saturation.. We all agreed that a convalescent hospital was needed. After only one day and an evaluation there to start therapy his oxygen was so low her was admitted to ER. He is now in ICU. We were told his oxygen level was at 96% with a full mask breathing. Above 90% is good.

For the person who criticize me for coming here there are many women and men who are helpful. Also I only get on this website and not on the internet all day. I have no living relatives I can ask to get information. Hope your life is better than mine.

Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint wrote:

An update if interested--

A visiting nurse was assigned and a therapist who found a low oxygen saturation.. We all agreed that a convalescent hospital was needed. After only one day and an evaluation there to start therapy his oxygen was so low her was admitted to ER. He is now in ICU. We were told his oxygen level was at 96% with a full mask breathing. Above 90% is good.

For the person who criticize me for coming here there are many women and men who are helpful. Also I only get on this website and not on the internet all day. I have no living relatives I can ask to get information. Hope your life is better than mine.

Thanks for the update. It sounds like you now have much more information about what is going on with him. Glad to hear he has his Oxygen Saturation level at 90 or above.

With my Aspiration Pneumonia, my sleeping Saturation Levels at times dropped below 80, not a safe number? That was found in 1of my many sleep studies.

I was on an oxygen concentrator at home for over a year. It took that long to get the fluid out of my lungs. Was not a pleasant time for an active person for sure.

My best to both of you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

John when we were at the hospital last night  the oxygen was over 90 only with a full face mask. A doctor just called and said his condition was very bad and he would get more information from his lung doctor.

I am happy to hear everything worked out for you.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@halfpint wrote:

John when we were at the hospital last night  the oxygen was over 90 only with a full face mask. A doctor just called and said his condition was very bad and he would get more information from his lung doctor.

I am happy to hear everything worked out for you.

Don't you think since the doctor just called and said his condition is very bad that you should get off the computer and go to the hospital????

Esteemed Contributor

I found out there is no Hospice hospital here only home nurses and they would have to make an evaluation first which I didn't know.  I then called the nursing home that I was coming to collect his medicine we left and the clothes. Then are day began for they said he was coming back there by ambulance  which no one had told us he was being released. We were very upset by the news and rushed to the hospital. The doctor had assumed just because we had talked to a rep from Hospice that was a notice for them. Well the hospital had to call a stand-in doctor to get him to put in a new order for release the next day. Since dh has more days in the nursing days he will go there and hopfully get therapy for he hasn't walked in over a week. He seemed so much better with his breathing considering what it was earlier.

Honored Contributor

The round the clock medications and treatment your husband receives in the hospital will make a difference.  You will see an improvement in his attitude, his color, as well as the fact he breathes easier, thanks to high doses of steroid medications, meds and treatments to move the fluid out of his lungs, and continuous oxygen use.  

However, there is no recovery from end stage COPD.  The permanent lung damage prevents full expansion of the lungs to take in the amount of oxygen needed to sustain body function.  

I sense you are already overwhelmed with all that is going on right now, and the information that has been thrown at you as far as your husband's condition, and his needs.   It sounds like your husband needs to remain hospitalized, and under continuous care for as long as possible.