Respected Contributor

Re: Watching the marathon of My Six Hundred Pound Life, some are so inspirational.

On 1/3/2015 lolakimono said:

I just asked BF, at what point would you weigh yourself and say "I have to do something about this."

I wonder this too. What happened that first day when you did not get out of bed?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Re: Watching the marathon of My Six Hundred Pound Life, some are so inspirational.

On 1/4/2015 Peaches McPhee said:
On 1/3/2015 lolakimono said:

I just asked BF, at what point would you weigh yourself and say "I have to do something about this."

I wonder this too. What happened that first day when you did not get out of bed?

I wonder about this, too because though not morbidly obese, I struggle with weight (my thyroid got sick and when it's not treated right, I get heavier. It is very hard to lose any pounds. I got 20lbs off and they had to change my scrip--after I gained it back. Stopped working. Sad about that, let me tell you.) I know that after a point you think "This will NEVER come off."

I think once you believe "It's here to stay" you accept it until you get some condition unacceptable to you such as cellulitis or edema. For some, I think if their enablers are good enough, they can make it staying in bed and still "live" with the situation. I know for me, if I can't walk far and do what I want, it would be time to see the doctor. Or we all have a "number" in our head that is not-to-exceed. Perhaps, people who are wildly obese don't have that number.

Regular Contributor

These people are living examples of hope. They show that one can change their life. They are all courageous people.

Respected Contributor

Zsalynn needs to lose that husband, what a jerk he was. I couldn't believe he picked her up from surgery and drove to the fast food drive thru. I wanted to smack him.

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2015 nunya said:

Zsalynn needs to lose that husband, what a jerk he was. I couldn't believe he picked her up from surgery and drove to the fast food drive thru. I wanted to smack him.

She did. She has a Facebook page. I think she dropped him this fall/late summer.

Respected Contributor

I have fought a battle with weight from the time I was a teen. My mom who was a petite woman, rode me constantly about it. She said she knew from the time I was born as most babies lose a few ounces in the hospital. I gained. However, I am very presentable and neat and since retirement 9 years ago I have dropped 40lbs. I find I am a nervous eater. I would like to lose another 30lbs. but I'm good with where I am at.

My question has always been, "how much does a person at that weight eat just to maintain their 600lbs."? The enablers also need to be taken to task.

Part of me sympathizes because unlike an addiction to drugs or alcohol, you need food to sustain life and the other part of me says, "surround yourself with a better support system".

Consider yourself lucky if you've never struggled with weight. Years ago my doctor put me on Phen-Fen. It was amazing. The serotonin switch in my brain became normal, getting rid of my craving to eat. However, they took it off the market. I would take it again if I could. I got to a maintenance dose because I had reached my goal weight. I have not regained it all but again, it's a struggle.

Respected Contributor

On 1/4/2015 lolakimono said:
On 1/4/2015 nunya said:

She did. She has a Facebook page. I think she dropped him this fall/late summer.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Respected Contributor

On 1/4/2015 Gooday said:

I have fought a battle with weight from the time I was a teen. My mom who was a petite woman, rode me constantly about it. She said she knew from the time I was born as most babies lose a few ounces in the hospital. I gained. However, I am very presentable and neat and since retirement 9 years ago I have dropped 40lbs. I find I am a nervous eater. I would like to lose another 30lbs. but I'm good with where I am at.

My question has always been, "how much does a person at that weight eat just to maintain their 600lbs."? The enablers also need to be taken to task.

Part of me sympathizes because unlike an addiction to drugs or alcohol, you need food to sustain life and the other part of me says, "surround yourself with a better support system".

Consider yourself lucky if you've never struggled with weight. Years ago my doctor put me on Phen-Fen. It was amazing. The serotonin switch in my brain became normal, getting rid of my craving to eat. However, they took it off the market. I would take it again if I could. I got to a maintenance dose because I had reached my goal weight. I have not regained it all but again, it's a struggle.

Wow, are you lucky...Phen-Fen caused Pulmonary Hypertension in many women and they died (it's a fatal disease.)

Since you have a tendency to gain weight AND you got a pestering mother from Day One (very sad--that didn't help you) have you considered hypnosis?s I use a self-hypnosis CD --very relaxing and cured the "nibbles." Now I have a cup of tea when I get nervous. I don't even have any cookies in the house and someone gave me chocolate for Christmas and it's in the fridge, still in the bag.

Super Contributor

In the beginning it states that these people have a less than 5% chance at long-term success. I wonder why it's so low? They are advertising the new season as ""the biggest yet.""

Respected Contributor

I agree with an earlier poster and suspect that these horribly overweight people have more going on than just overeating. There must be some other health issues which allow such weight gains. I feel guilty watching these shows because it feels like making someone else's misery my entertainment. Feel the same way about the hoarding shows, but those do encourage me to keep things at a minimum at home.