Trusted Contributor

Re: Watching the marathon of My Six Hundred Pound Life, some are so inspirational.

Lucy, I think the new season starts on Jan 7th.
Respected Contributor

Re: Watching the marathon of My Six Hundred Pound Life, some are so inspirational.

New shows begin this Wednesday at 9/8c

I, too, am amazed at the amount of excess skin removed. Having spent my entire life fascinated with health and fitness, I just cannot comprehend how a body could carry around an extra hundred pounds much less an extra five or six hundred.

I throw bales of hay that weigh 65 or 70 pounds around pretty easily but I sure wouldn't want to carry several bales around with me all day every day.

I admire these people very much. Am watching Olivia's story right now.

Super Contributor

On 1/3/2015 Shelbybiskit said: Lucy, I think the new season starts on Jan 7th.
Thanks, Shelbybiskit--just saw that during the commercials! Will be interested to see how some of the people we are watching now are doing!
Valued Contributor

Personally, I think that the physiology of the super obese goes beyond the "normal" forms of obesity and overweight in that there must be something significantly abnormal about their hormone triggers and responses. Lipodystrophy comes to mind. I know someone who has the strangest distribution of body fat, but they are not super obese. I believe that if this person were not meticulous about their caloric intake, they could easily weigh in the 600+ range. I feel pity for anyone suffering from such disfiguring diseases. Many of these people are actually malnourished in that their organs and necessary tissues lack nutrients and all the calories they consume are literally shuttled to feed their fat tissue.

Trusted Contributor

YW, Lucy. I have always been hooked on this show. Not sure why. ??
Super Contributor

I can't watch the show. I tried, but I just get disgusted. Some have emotional issues that have not been dealt with, so the person turn to food for comfort. I don't know if the show addresses that or not.

Then, you have the enablers, who continue to feed them junk.

Then you have the patient lie to the doctor and cry, "But I have been eating less", yet, at home, it shows them shoving fried food into their mouths, and saying, "Everybody cheats".

It's like the hoarder shows. I can't watch.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Trusted Contributor

Hoarders, another of my favorites. Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

I wonder how it gets that bad for people who weigh that much? I'm not trying to be mean, but I do wonder how they can get to that.

As for the family members being enablers, I think it's one of many things. The family members may not know how to cook (yes, I know that's a far stretch), some may be afraid of making something their loved one won't like and sometimes (sorry, but I saw this once on of these shows) the person who's really overweight gets very combative and unreasonable when the discussion of eating healthier comes up. I think after awhile, the family members just want peace, so they give in, but they also don't want to leave their loved one either...it's just a mess.

A lot of times, people feel bad for the hoarder, the obese, etc. that the family members, the one's who have to put up with this day in and day, out are kind of left in the dust.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Esteemed Contributor

I've only been able to watch one episode all the way through. I agree with the poster who wrote that these extremely obese people present with far more complicated issues, not just physical, than most people who are overweight. I, too, was stunned by the enablers. If someone cannot get out of bed or get into a car to go to the store, someone else is supplying those megacalories. Another shocking observation...ironicallly like anorexics, many of these 600+ pound people had wildly distorted body perceptions. One woman said that as long as she could get up and walk, she figured she was OK. There's a tremendous amount of self-delusion and ignorance about how much they're consuming, even after surgery. The complications are so numerous and vast, I was left thinking the odds are overwhelmingly against them. It is very sad.
Super Contributor

I don't see anything ""inspirational"". I find them repulsive. They are very sick people who are totally out of control and just like some of the hoarders they will go right back to their old ways without years of psychiatric help.