Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Warnings for Contact Lense Wearers

[ Edited ]

Just this past week, a CDC report came out and said that over 4 million contact wearers (I being one of them) is at risk for eye infections due to the way they maintain their lenses.

Some of the things they mentioned to prevent infections I do and have done for a long time.   However, some of the other guidelines no one ever informed me of.

Maybe the CDC needs to look at the eye physicians of those 4 million wearers and question how they are instructing and informing their patients.

Most, I will guess, are more interested in getting the money for the contacts.  I just had to leave my eye doctor of 35 years because of some mistakes that the new optometrist did when I had an issue.

I'm sure some wearers are negligent, but doctors need to be accountable too for how they are informing their patients.

Honored Contributor

Re: Warnings for Contact Lense Wearers

I blame the patient more than the Doctor for goodness sake- a patient that wears disposable lenses is well aware of how an eye infection can happen.. I have an ex aquaintance that gets disposable lenses, she wears the same pair for a YEAR before- a whole year before she puts in another pair.. I had a fit and she got so mad at me..  I told her, fine have all the eye infections you want but don't complain next time..  she is well aware of the risks of being so stupid!!!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

I wear the dailies - they are more expensive but it is nice not to have to fuss with the solutions and the cleaning.  Toss 'em in the trash at night (or whenever you go to bed).  My eye doc is a big proponent of these.  Less risk of eye infection.  They're not without a downside - they're so lightweight that they are sometimes hard to get in properly, and will "float" and fold up.  I've found that storing them level in their box is important, as I have seen them dry up in their pouches (which didn't happen with my monthlies).

Good to be aware, though.  I also wear glasses but I never want to have to do that exclusively.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I wear dailies. Use them once then throw them away. No fuss no muss.

"Pure Michigan"
Regular Contributor

My daughter who is in her late 40's is going through hell right now.  Admittedly, she wore her contacts for days without taking them out (years back) and still was a bit lazy until last week when she had an eye problem and was diagnosed with a corneal ulcer.  Her meds are $150 per bottle for drops and she's on her 3rd bottle (with no insurance).

Please, remove your contacts.  I never want anyone I know or don't know to have to go through this.

Trusted Contributor

I remove mine every night and clean them well.   Some solutions say "No rub" so you think you shouldn't rub the lenses with them.   Sometimes, it's the solutions you soak them in.

I have dry eyes, so contacts are harder to wear for me.  What confuses me is the ones I wear now are disposal every 2 weeks and the "dr" says they aren't as permeable.   Yet, she wants me to try more permeable ones that you wear for a month.  

I would think the ones you throw away sooner would be less difficult on your eyes.

When you go from contacts to glasses, your vision isn't as good and your depth perception is all a mess.

Contacts are wonderful if you take good care of them.   Never sleep in your lenses.   

I just think doctors should be more helpful and informative when prescribing them.

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I wear dailies. Use them once then throw them away. No fuss no muss.

Same here.  Best thing I ever did was switch to these. 

Esteemed Contributor

@DARING GREATLY wrote:

I remove mine every night and clean them well.   Some solutions say "No rub" so you think you shouldn't rub the lenses with them.   Sometimes, it's the solutions you soak them in.

I have dry eyes, so contacts are harder to wear for me.  What confuses me is the ones I wear now are disposal every 2 weeks and the "dr" says they aren't as permeable.   Yet, she wants me to try more permeable ones that you wear for a month.  

I would think the ones you throw away sooner would be less difficult on your eyes.

When you go from contacts to glasses, your vision isn't as good and your depth perception is all a mess.

Contacts are wonderful if you take good care of them.   Never sleep in your lenses.   

I just think doctors should be more helpful and informative when prescribing them.

Daring, I've been wearing soft contacts since college.

First, there are daily (not disposable) lenses that are less permeable than monthlies.  It depends on the material, not the wear time.  My monthly contacts are perfect for my dry eyes.  I wear them (sleep in them) Mondays through Fridays and glasses on the weekends.  My day and night vision is clear and precise and my eyes are comfortable.  These contacts are a wonderful recommendation from a new optometrist at Costco.

A good practice is to change your contact lens case every month.  Protein builds up in the case and can lead to excessive dryness or infection.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I got my first set of contact lenses when I was 17, they were the hard lenses, then I started getting the gas permable lenses and when I coldn't wear those anymore I went to the soft lenses, the ones that you take out every day and have them for two weeks before you trash them.  I'm 60 years old and, so far, I've never had an eye infection of any kind.

Super Contributor

I have been wearing contacts for fifty one years.  I started with the hard and then the gas permeable and as technology advanced moved to the soft lenses.  I switch twice a month cleaning everyday and drying out the empty cases between.   Periodically I boil and sterilize my cases and replace three times a year.  Yes I do have dry eyes and a thicker cornea from wearing hard contacts for many years.   I use systane drops during the day and systane gel drops at night. My first contacts were a birthday present at age fifteen. Boy I remember the slow break in period compared to the soft lenses available now.   I have never gotten an infection from my contact usage.  Yes I agree your vision is so much clearer and better than glasses could ever be.   My sister also started contacts when I did but stopped wearing contacts ten years ago.  Neither one of us ever had infections.