Honored Contributor

Warning if you have kids/grandkids and Prescription drugs

My sister told me about a situation at our local high school recently.  A group of freshmen are in trouble because one of them swiped three oxycontin pills from his mother after she had back surgery.

He takes the pills to school.  A girl takes the pills and promptly gets sick.  She is fine thank goodness.  All of them have been on suspension and are most likely going to get expelled.  

The shocking thing to me when we were talking about punishment is I happened to mention that the mother who had the pills stolen by her son was potentially liable to the family who had their daughter OD.

Everyone looked at me like I was nuts. 

They hadn't even considered the fact that like serving alcohol or having a gun unsecured, if you don't think a family or potential DA won't bring a lawsuit especially if the consequences were worse than a sick kid, think again.  Someone at some point will be held up as the example.

If you have prescription drugs at home, lock them up or out of sight.  These were "good" kids who did a stupid thing and got lucky that this girl's friend picked up a phone and called someone when the overdose started and saved her life. 

Every kid has the potential to not realize the consequences of their actions.   Just FYI in case this didn't cross your mind either.  It's an old new thing and one more item to put on the list of make sure it's secured so you're not accused of negligence or worse if it happens to you.        

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Warning if you have kids/grandkids and Prescription drugs

@Laura14 - Kids stealing meds from an "in-home" source has been a problem for some time. 

Sometimes they take them, sometimes they give them to a friend and sometimes they sell them.

A friend of my husbands was on some pretty heavy pain meds and found his daughter was stealing them - she was selling them for the drugs she wanted - so very sad.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14  Yes,you’re right.The mother will likely be held responsible under civil laws.Which means she can expect to be sued as she is responsible for the actions of her minor childIt’s called lack of supervision!!

My DH handles major claims for an insurance company. He has handled these kinds of cases.If the girl had gone into crisis the kids would have faced dire legal consequences. Their lives would have been ruined over a stupid mistake!!

Parents & kids don’t realize how the actions of the kids can impact not only the kids but their parents. Aside from the legal aspect there  is also the emotional & financial toll. Which can destroy a family.

Thank God that girl is okay.But now the kids have to face the legal consequences.This will cost their parents a fortune.The mother who’s son took her pills will likely get sued as well.

The kids depending on how the case is handled may have to deal with their mistake for years to come.

Honored Contributor

I knew I wasn't nuts.  It kind of surprised me that the three women I was with had never even thought to consider any liability on the part of the mom.  Not that I believe she would have ever thought her kid would do it but that's the point of the post.  Kids do stupid things without realizing the consequences.

As far as I know, no one is suing anyone and they are just letting the school handle it but I'll tell you, I'm not a parent, but if my kid almost died, I'd be on the front doorstep of the family who made that drug easily accessible and/or want five minutes with the kid who handed the drug over to my daughter.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14  I think it comes down to education.Knowledge is power.Parents have to educate themselves so they can in turn educate their kids. You have to be on top of your kids all of the time.Even the good ones.My son was a good kid but I was also in his business all the time,period.

I make no apologies.My son turned out great!!

Honored Contributor

I'm sure he did @NicksmomESQ.  I can tell just from your posts what a wonderful person you are.  Thank you for giving the world another one just like you.  We need them!  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for reminding everyone.  You can’t be too careful.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I knew I wasn't nuts.  It kind of surprised me that the three women I was with had never even thought to consider any liability on the part of the mom.  Not that I believe she would have ever thought her kid would do it but that's the point of the post.  Kids do stupid things without realizing the consequences.

As far as I know, no one is suing anyone and they are just letting the school handle it but I'll tell you, I'm not a parent, but if my kid almost died, I'd be on the front doorstep of the family who made that drug easily accessible and/or want five minutes with the kid who handed the drug over to my daughter.  

I would take a different approach.  Since the daughter is alive and well, as her parent, she would be punished by me.  I held my children to higher standards.  Whatever they did, they were accountable for their actions.

We don't do the blame game at my house.  No one made her injest meds that she was not supposed to.  She did that on her own. She choose to do it.  She is 100% at fault....period.  I would not approach the boy or his family.

If the boy was my son, the same for him, but he would have to apologize since he caused harm and could have killed someone.

I raised three children and we have never had never had a problem with drugs or alcohol from any of them.  As adults now , they sometimes mention that they were tempted to try when they were younger, but were afraid to because of the consequences they would face if they got caught.  They knew they would be in trouble big time and it was not worth taking a chance.

Plus, my kids are also somewhat germaphobes, especially my youngest one.  I told them over and over that the stuff on the street was filthy and they had no idea who handled it with dirty snotty hands and that the drugs could have been hidden in body cavities and contain fecal matter.  This grossed them out and it worked.

Honored Contributor

Us too.  I can't speak for my sisters in terms of trying something but I never even had one minute of wanting to do drugs.  My mother had to fight me to the death to even put an aspirin or especially cough syrup down my throat.

You know we were also just talking that one of my sisters wouldn't let her 12 year old daughter take a sip of alcohol from the wine they were drinking one night. 

We were all in shock since as an Italian family, alcohol was never taboo.  You got the sip and spit it out and when your friends said here try this, we never did because we already knew it was disgusting.   She got the sip and did just that and I said now she won't be trying it with friends in the back of a car.  

Honored Contributor

Same as if someone runs through my property falls down & breaks their leg I'm liable. May not be right IMO. I did not tell you to run across my yard.

ITA parents need to keep thier drugs out of site. Best thing is never let your kids even know you have it.

My dad owned a gun but I never knew until I was a teenager. We were on a trip to SC when we stopped at roadside park to eat a sandwich. Couple of long haired guys walking down the Interstate so dad went to the car to get his gun. Had no idea that's what he was doing until I saw it. Guess he thought in case these 2 guys thought they may try something.

You also have parents taking their kids ADHD or whatever it's called medication. It's like an amphetamine so they use it to lose weight or just get high.

A girl I knew in high school was inhaling I'm not sure what but it froze her lungs & killed her.

Kids like to experiment & it does not always turn out ok.